CTF CaHTF_Western Hold Up

Riever

L2: Junior Member
Nov 25, 2011
Dear all,

Well here it is in all its current gory. (sic)

I'd really like to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me with my idiot questions.

This is the 1st big map I have produced and I have used it as a learning tool for hammer and TF2 logic. As a result it probably commits every current mapping sin there is as well as inventing a few new ones.

It is an early Alpha, please ignore the texturing and details, its a mirrored map, I built one side before copying it and, as mentioned, was playing around to see what hammer could do.

The game type is sort of a mixture of KoTH and CTF with a bit of bomb run in.

Both teams fight over the intelligence and try to take it to one of 3 hold areas. They then have to keep it there until their KoTH timer runs out before taking it to a final capture point to win the round.

The clock only runs if a team has the intelligence in their hold zone.
The intelligence drops as neutral so both teams can collect it up until one team zero's their clock. It then only drops for that team. (bomb run)

Standard hold time is 2 minutes, game time is 10 minutes

Stalemates occur when neither team gets the intelligence to the final point.
In this case teams are awarded a hold time reduction depending on how well they did. 30 seconds off for the team who holds the intelligence the longest, 1 minute off for if they have zeroed their clock, but failed to get to the final zone.

Advanced apologies as its an early attempt its not balanced, optimised or lemon flavoured. There are currently no cube maps and some of the stairs are not clipped as they are likely to be changed. To be honest this whole map is likely to changed - nothing is set in stone, including the stone textures.

I hope that it might be the start of something that is fun to play, but I guess only time and feedback will tell.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Please, before testing anything, slap a light_env on there and a few lights inside, it takes little to no effort and it will make everyone happier in the long run. Fullbright is not something you want on a testday, everyone will complain about that instead of anything else.
Looking good otherwise, though.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Actually those are hammer screenshots, so lights wouldn't help.

So I guess the lesson would be, don't post screenshots from outside the TF2 engine?

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Well, I was taking inference from when he said:
...and the first download won't have any lighting, 'cos I'm useless at this.
So I guess we'll know for sure when he puts a DL link.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
We would appreciate it if you took in-game screenshots. It's for the same reason people don't like looking at fullbright maps: they are not nice to look at.

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
We would appreciate it if you took in-game screenshots. It's for the same reason people don't like looking at fullbright maps: they are not nice to look at.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I've no problem with this. Is it OK to just place some basic invis lighting (so without obvious sources)?

Parts of the map - those I built and then copied - have lights but others do not. I wasn't going work on the lighting till the Beta stage since I felt adding light in a part of the map that might not exist in the next version wasn't very productive.

I was also worried that I'd just get comments on my poor lighting rather than balance and game play - which was not really the point of the game test.

Oh env lighting etc is in already (see last screen shot).

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
You should add lights no matter how unsure you are about the area. It's much better to have wasted a fraction of your time adding a few lights to an area you will later remove than to have a fullbright map. Nobody likes playing in or even looking at a fullbright map and it screws things over since the fullbright effect will be carried over to the next map that is played on a server.

It's perfectly okay to just add basic lighting with no visible source during the map's alpha stage, since it's not the detailing you should be worried about but rather the gameplay.

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
<snip> and it screws things over since the fullbright effect will be carried over to the next map that is played on a server.

<snip>

Thanks for this I had no idea running a map fullbright would mess with the server. Have uploaded screens with lights (the general overview of the middle section is still just from Hammer though).

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
Dear all,

Well it's packed, and ready for anyone to have a play on, I guess.

Please let me know if (when) you find logic bugs and thoughts on balance. I will look into lighting and textures on a later release. At present they are both basic to say the least.

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
WesternHoldUp_a4-6p
Bug fixes due to error in last build. Fixed re-supply lockers below teams observatories, enemy team blocker no entry textures not showing, (thanks yyler) nodraw textures showing in a couple of locations, improved vis compile speed.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
Dear all,

New file available for testing, quite a few chenges - see log. Could I have some comments please?

Thanls.

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
westernholdup_a22

Dear all,

Well the latest version (a22) is available. Please see change log.

This is now locked - so no more updates for now - and will be submitted for the next available game day and play testing. :)