CTF Fallacy

Niatiale

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2012
Hi everyone, this is a map I started on back in December 2011, but i haven't mustered up the courage to post it here before now despite that I've been lurking here for some time now.

It's a plain capture the flag map I've been making since ctf is my favorite gamemode.

Things still to be done: Balance, de-bork the 3D skybox and aesthetics both inside and the outside. The name is still up for debate as I have little imagination when it comes to names... The first name this map had was ctf_karsk.

Also, I set up a server some time ago to run this map so that I could have it playtested. Me and a friend gave up on having it run on my own homeserver since it refused to let anyone connect. A gmod server on the server could run tough.

The rented server is still good for some days if you want to give it a look: 95.143.195.10:28415 (running old ctf_karsk version)

Last edited:

Jyyst

Aug 24, 2012
The map layout looks pretty solid and I do like the aesthetic. Do those big fans spin?

Only complaint I can think of is that there is quite a big empty area in front of both of the core buildings. This might impact the gameplay in a badway.

Niatiale

Sep 5, 2012
The big fans spin and kill whoever drops in them, only way you would survive is if you were a spy with a DR, then you would lose about 60 hp from it. And the open areas is a problem I've had some problem figuring out for some time now :(

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
The tile texture in the 4th screenshot is rotated 45 degrees. You should change that since it looks a little sloppy. You can change the rotation of the texture by selecting the face in the texture application tool and change the rotation in the rotation field to 45 (if 0) or 0 (if 45, 135, 225, or 315)

Niatiale

Sep 5, 2012
You really wanna make sure that anyone can immediately recognize the fan as a death trap.

I think you should lower it a bit into the hole, so that it doesn't tempt anyone to attempt to walk on it.

I don't really see how lowering it would make people go around it, I tought a big whirring fan would be simple enough to understand, if at all I think I will remove a health pack or a ammo pack from somewhere and put it there as a reward for taking a small risk, a common map feature in the tf2 universe.
Thanks for the feedback

The tile texture in the 4th screenshot is rotated 45 degrees. You should change that since it looks a little sloppy. You can change the rotation of the texture by selecting the face in the texture application tool and change the rotation in the rotation field to 45 (if 0) or 0 (if 45, 135, 225, or 315)

The texture was rotated like that on purpose to make the lines in it break up a little, if you think it looks sloppy I'll reconsider how I used it... Thanks for the feedback.

Niatiale

Sep 5, 2012
I managed to squeeze in some mapping between Borderlands 2, BF3: AK, school and job for a B2.
Now if only those darn cubemaps could start acting nicely I would have been miles ahead by now...