Powerplant

MVM Powerplant RC1 (Reupload)

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.
Mar 23, 2010
this looks cool

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I say keep the snow theme. The fog looks pretty darn awesome, add some lazy snowflakes and it's a perfect winter wonderland. With murderous robots trying to blow you up.

I do predict you will be driven insane by those arches though. They are no fun to detail.

ignatio

L1: Registered
Mar 13, 2012
May I suggest a name change to mvm_mannastery? Or is that too obvious?

Looks great btw.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
A few technical things first:

19GPQ

This area needs widened, if a Tank is passing through it then trying to squeeze past it is impossible.

19GRE

A lot of those windows can't be walked through, though they look like they can.

1a6p7

1a6q5

These 2 side routes almost entirely invisible and almost entirely useless, could use a reworking.

1a6uD

For whatever reason robots would prefer to take the lower ground here rather than take the bridge which makes little sense to me, perhaps a func_nav_avoid down there for most bots would be helpful.

Overall I think the layout is promising, but something I've been noticing with a few of the custom MvM maps is that they're missing the pit in which to throw the bomb carrier. In all 3 Valve maps there's a pit or trench that if you can launch the bomb carrier into, they need to take the long way back (Or in Coaltown's case, the carrier dies and the bomb is sent directly to that start) and while there is something of the sort in your map, it's both right next to the hatch, which is something Valve avoided and isn't that significant a setback, something to look into perhaps.

Onto your waves, I'm not sure how much I should comment on about them, since they're supposedly just a test set to get the map out there, but I'll continue under the assumption you'll be building upon them.

I love the hats you gave to the robots, seeing a Shotgun Heavy with the Toque or a Backburner Pyro wearing the Head Warmer in a snowy environment gave them a sense of character. To that end, I was entirely disappointed that the hat wearing bots only came around in the first few waves, I'd like to see every Heavy bot wearing a Toque and every Pyro wearing a Head Warmer, not just the first wave.

Speaking of Shotguns, variety is nice, where applicable why not mix up what weapon the bots are using with a RandomChoice. Some Heavies use the default Shotgun, others the Family Business, Flare Gun or Detonator, Eyelander or Claidheamh Mór. (Make the Reserve Shooter Soldiers actually use the Reserve Shooter :O)

Looking forward to a2.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definately going to use your input for the next version. You have confirmed some of the points that are on my list already. I've planned something for the pit you mentioned on the side of the bridge (haven't thought about the other side, yet).

I've used the hats to make it easier to differentiate the special classes from the default robots. Unfortunately it's not possible to use hats on soldier, sniper or scout because they already have default hats that cannot be hidden. And I have not used the same hat (e.g. Toque on all heavies) because of performance reasons. I'm not sure how older PCs can handle that many robots with even more hats.

As for the weapons: I've tried to use the reserve shooter and family business but it's not working. The bots just won't equip them. Haven't tried the detonator or claidheamh mor though - those should work.

Last edited:

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
As for the weapons: I've tried to use the reserve shooter and family business but it's not working. The bots just won't equip them. Haven't tried the detonator or claidheamh mor though - those should work.

If you extract items_game.txt from tf/scripts/items in the .gcf, it provides a list of every item in the game and the name you'll need to use in your .pop, which is sometimes different from the in-game version.

For instance, to give a Heavy the Huo-Long Heater you need to put: Item "Promo Huo Long Heatmaker"

In your case it's "The Family Business", "The Reserve Shooter", "The Detonator" and "The Claidheamohmor".

P.S. every time a new item is added to TF2, you'll need to re-extract items_game.txt.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
After re-watching the MvM video, I totally want to see a snowy MvM map in that theme.

Maybe Coldfrontish.

Melvin D Engineere

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 25, 2012

compy

Jun 14, 2012
The popfile does not load without first extracting it from the BSP to <TF2>/scripts/population.

compy

Jun 14, 2012
It is confirmed to be fixed.
Unfortunately, I already added the original A3 and the extracted popfiles to my servers last night, so I can't add the updated A3 without them rejecting players who already have the original.
EDIT on 04-02: I just added the updated version to my servers and added a note to the MOTD on how to remove the old version of A3.

Last edited: