KotH Brazil

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
I am from Brazil, and unlike the Simpons showed up, we do not have monkeys going around our telephonic cables. In fact, the place that you are making is looking a lot like Mata Atlântica, which is near the Atlantic Coast. There is a bunch of cities, one called Cubatão, which works with heavy petrol and quimic industry, and the industrial zone of Região Metropolitana de São Paulo (a bunch of cities that includes one city with over 10 million people, two airports, a large train connection and USP, the 73º best university in the whole world), which industrial zone was built around the 60's. And the movie Brazil is incredibly bad for such reference on Brazil. Also we have a load of telephonic cables in streets, and it's like a spider's web. If you want, I might take a photo for reference.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
also people who are really bad at dota

Jyyst

L1: Registered
Aug 24, 2012
^ and lol huehuehue GIBE MONE PLZ

Had a run around the map. At first the layout felt very confusing. You should add more arrows pointing to the point etc. And standing on top of the roof above the point gave you a ridiculously huge height advantage. Liked the kothpoint building's look a lot.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Alright enough dumb posts guys

1afWc

First order of business: remove the sewers entirely, including the back route into them. Never saw them used much when playing this in the 72hr contest, didn't see much use of them today, and everyone I asked who had played the older versions said they barely used them. This should focus gameplay a bit better. Also, removed the window that looked onto the point in favor of an open balcony. This should help scouts get onto the point, in addition to creating another angle of attack on an otherwise very secure point. I'm hoping this helps alleviate the difficulty of attacking a strong team with an engineer presence on the point.

1ag3s

Second, I am removing the dropdown route because it's useless and frustrating, and moving the ramp that bent around it to take its place--in this screenshot, some walls are hidden to show it better (and this is what it used to be). Made the doorways wider, too, as I generally think they play better. I'd like to make this route higher traffic. I also moved the lower exit so it doesn't face a wall.

1agdK

Eliminating the sewer route makes this health/ammo dump much harder to reach, so I am either going to increase the size of the pickups, kill the room, or stick a staircase up to it somewhere else. Probably increase the pickups, then delete the room if that's bad.

Now, anyone have any thoughts on that or something else?

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
These are good changes, especially the open balcony in mid.

I think you've still got the main problem though, which is that the ground floor below the point is always a bad place to be, but it also feels like the main route. Players get funneled into the lower middle of the map when in reality they should almost-always opt to run the long way around to the higher ground, and approach the point from the side.

Something needs to be done to make this lower route viable.

Oct 6, 2008
Everyone loves beaches.

No they don't they love the guys and girls wearing their skimpy bikinis!! :wow:

As for the fat guy wearing the speedo? Well maybe not so much:p

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
http://calcified.net/maps/koth_brazil_a4.bsp.bz2

a4
removed sewers entirely, incl. back route into sewers
reworked the upper path
removed dropdown, angled route to point-level to go where the dropdown was
changed some pickups around to better support attackers and holding team sides of the map
opened the middle window area up into more of a balcony

No pictures because most of this is in Hammer shots on the last page. I didn't fix the visleaf stuff on the red side, will probably do that when I start to detail more heavily.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
You should add a stair to go to the top without have to go back to the spawn.

1afWc

Maybe add a trickjump with crates and barrels here, also don't hesitate to cut the map, it's very oversized atm.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it. I'll have to pay close attention to that during the next test. I never really looked at the map from the standpoint of someone making it, so I'm first making changes from a player perspective. It's harder than I thought to assume the role of author.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
OK, so, I generally want to be more transparent about my ideas and decisions, so here's some more Hammer shots.

1dfM5

Here I've moved this route even closer to the point (compare with the blu side). Moved the props around a bit to better make use of the space. It still means the inside route from spawn to the point is a bit of a hairpin though, so I added this:

1dfOk

Doesn't really do anything to sightlines, so it's alright, and adds a much needed route to point level. To compensate, I also halved the size of the building to the side to keep the route there spacious.

I think this is a pretty good start, but I still want more ways onto the point and I'm trying to avoid breaking up Ravage's geometry too much. One of my ideas is this:

1dfQx

The idea is to put a sewer here (like the ones I removed previously). The backside would open up onto the death pit and stairs to either side. Decent spy route, pyro hangout, etc. Most importantly, could alleviate a bit of congestion around the main routes and provide an escape route to the big health I added at mid for a4.

At this point, does anyone have any input on the tests of A4 or the direction I am going in here?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
The sewer route reminds me of runoff, which I suppose is good.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
http://calcified.net/maps/koth_brazil_a5.bsp.bz2

a5
moved houses that go to the point even closer
added stairs to the point level on inside V of the map

---

did not add the sewer beneath the point because it didnt look right and would have been super long. at this point i am kind of at a loss as to what direction to go in. i picked this map up mostly just to detail it and i'm pretty close to sitting down and doing just that regardless of how it plays at this point

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 23, 2010
this is a terrible argument