KotH Hippies

BrockStonefist

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2012
A simple KOTH map that started as a terrible little viaduct-with-no-buildings affair but has since morphed into something that's actually quite fun through testing with x6herbius and others. Hoping to submit it for the game day when the thread opens.

It's called hippies because the idea is that blu's polluting the water in the middle and red's.. um.. not. Wasn't the original idea for the theming but it's a more interesting name than koth_wood (the name I started with)

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
Brains. Haircuts. Hippies. Braaaaaains!
If it plays as good as you say it does, I'm looking forward to seeing this on a gameday. Hopefully I have time then to check it out. =)

Sep 7, 2012
Looks pretty fun, I guess we'll see on gameday! Not to rain on your parade, but very few people have managed to put trees in the gameplay area with success. You might have to do some fancy clipping there.

BrockStonefist

Dec 6, 2012
I think that it might be ok in this case because it rarely becomes a combat area that far back to spawn but I will definitely try to be a scout/solly/demoman and break it :) thanks

Sep 7, 2012
I think that it might be ok in this case because it rarely becomes a combat area that far back to spawn but I will definitely try to be a scout/solly/demoman and break it :) thanks

I know that it''s been commented on as a problem in swiftwater and there was a map on freefrag's payload server about 4 months ago that suffered from it... (sorry for not being specific, cant remember the bloody name and I think their servers were shut down). Also, you might want to consider its use in spawncamping, though it's far from the main point and all that.

I'll run through the map in a few minutes and tell you what I think.

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
Gave the map a try and here are some findings:
Maybe you could put the respawnroomvisualizers in these doorways instead of the spawns doors themselves. Might prevent spawn camping.
These two from spawn: These two
And this other doorway (the one I'm standing in): This one
The point keeps locked the entire time =/ Screenshot
Found some visible seams between displacements(?) on the red side, not sure about blue:
There could be more though, these are the ones I found
Bonus:
Demoman in the tree (yes sv_cheats is 1, I used noclip to get up there, but I managed to do it with the sticky jumper too)
I hope this was helpful to you. :)

And for the filename, most people (if not everyone) use an _a# after the mapname to keep versions separate. (a1, a2 etc. b# for beta)

Last edited:

BrockStonefist

Dec 6, 2012
yeah the _alpha was because all the previous versions were named "koth_wood#" instead of wood_a# and the "alpha" name was to distinguish this particular version

BrockStonefist

Dec 6, 2012
Found some visible seams between displacements(?) on the red side, not sure about blue:
There could be more though, these are the ones I found

I have no idea why that happens, all those "seams" are on a single face on a single brush, even though the texture is visibly shifted between sides of one of the seams. It seems to be a visleaf or VVIS problem

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
But about the point not unlocking, does that happen to you too? Because it's a pretty bad thing, especially if you're putting it up for a gameday.

BrockStonefist

Dec 6, 2012
But about the point not unlocking, does that happen to you too? Because it's a pretty bad thing, especially if you're putting it up for a gameday.

Didn't happen in any of the test runs I did, and it didn't happen on the gameday. how very strange...

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
Yes, that's strange. I waited for a few minutes with that testrun I did, and it never unlocked. Glad it worked for other people.