KotH koth_pylon_a1

InanimateLog

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2012
koth_pylon_a2

This is my first map (and my first ever post here). I decided to make a koth map due to their smaller size and koth being my favourite game mode. The central control point is very reminiscent of cp_granary with four crates surrounding the point, with two of the crates being accessible to all classes to provide a height advantage and thereby promote a capture/hold mechanic. The map is rotationally symmetric (as opposed to consisting of two mirrored halves). Both teams are trying to take control of an electricity supply running above the central capture point.

Being my first map, and the second alpha of my first map, there will inevitably be some horrible newbie mistakes, balance issues, performance issues, and so on- which means feedback and criticism are highly appreciated. I haven't had a chance to playtest the map with more than about one person, but am hoping to submit it for a gameday soon

Last edited:

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Hello there! Tips for early alphas: use dev textures. That's right. Those handy non-detailed textures are layout masterpieces. Quick changes. Layout is the base of the map , detail is the feel of the map. We generally set down the layout first. Put it in a gameday and collect feedback. That's how most people do it anyway.

Sep 7, 2012
Hey! Just posting this to give you a bit of feedback since the gameday you posted in was cancelled due to sourcemod shenanigans.

You seem to have a good grasp of the flow of a koth map, you've got some good areas to hold in before the push to take the point, and some nice geometry to play around when you've capped the point and are trying to defend it.

However, your areas seem over-scaled and just a bit too big to play a good game in. You would probably be able to cut every room in half (effectively squishing the map's ends for red and blu together) and still get a great playing map. Also, your stairs don't always line up with the platforms they lead to and you've got a really funky 45 degree angle ramp in there too, which leads to a massive height advantage! I would suggest keeping all heights to a maximum of 256 hammer units higher than the main ground level, as that's the highest you can fall from without taking damage and it helps prevent certain classes from being too overpowered.

Also, you might want to choose different textures for your spawn room floors if you're not going to build your cubemaps at this stage, it is really distracting to see those purple error flashes on such a large surface.

InanimateLog

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2012
Many thanks for the feedback - in retrospect the 45 degree ramps were indeed a bit excessive! I think lowering the slanted roofs overlooking the point to that of the height of the crates would allow me to both reduce the large height difference and help fix the ramp problem at the same time. In addition I'll scale the map down significantly, which shouldn't be too hard since a lot of the area between the spawn and the point consists of large, open spaces - replacing the floor with dev textures should help me determine how much smaller I should make the map.