Raven Software Design Internships 2k13

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
Hello again forums! This post will seem familiar because I made one last year around this time!

My name is Dan Merboth, I am an associate level designer at Raven Software. Before my professional life, I was a prolific and terrible mapper in the TF2 community, making many posts on these very forums!

I was hired at Raven Software in August 2011 as an intern in a new design program, created to get Raven back to its roots in the mod community. A long time ago when I was just starting out with level design, Raven had this reputation of being close to the mod community, and thats gone away a little.

I was offered a fulltime position in January 2012. Between then and now, I built two MW3 DLC levels (Decomission and Boardwalk) and made significant contributions to nearly every MP map but three.

The program I was a part of was successful, and we're gonna keep doing it!

WHATS CHANGED FROM LAST YEAR:

• The deadline is July 1st, 2013. Thats a whole lotta time! We pushed it back to help out with the apartment situations.
  • We do not want playtested maps. This leads us to have higher expectations for your designs! Trust your senses, focus on fundamentals and good building practices. You can work on your iterating/feedback skills when you get here.
  • The design has changed. Hargeysha has been replaced by Lockdown, a fortress island. Described by one of our design interns from last year as "Simple, yet challenging for someone new at Radiant."

WHAT THIS MEANS:

• You'll get to work with highly motivated designers who've been building levels for a very long time (they're also cool as hell).
  • You'll work in a building I've had to describe as "not like Grandma's Boy, its like a regular job but we make awesome games."
  • 12 month internship. 2-3 spots (as far as I know).
  • It is paid (don't know how much).
  • You should be familiar with CoD, preferably the more recent games like MW3 and BLOPS 2. Its not a deal breaker if you're not but you would have to get familiar with it if you do a good job on the design test.

WHAT THIS DOESN'T MEAN:

• It is not a guaranteed position, you'd be applying, taking the test and I'd be recommending you. It'd certainly give you a leg up over people who found the page randomly.
  • I can't guarantee we'd be working together. I'm sorry!
  • This is not a remote job, you'd have to relocate to our beautiful offices in Madison, Wisconsin (Madison owns though so its cool).
  • Because of the above and difficulties with visas, we can only take people with US citizenship.
  • You must be 16 or older to be eligable for an internship.
  • The test must be done in MW1 Radiant. I cannot accept entries in Hammer, UnrealED, Quark, Worldcraft, or any other obscure editor!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

• Visit: http://www.ravensoftware.com/careers/designtest/
  • Follow the instructions.
  • Email me at: dmerboth (at) ravensoftware.com with your name and portfolio. Please CC dan (at) danmerboth.com so I can be sure I at least get one copy of the email. In the subject put "RAVEN INTERNSHIP:" + your name. The subject line is very important.
  • Formally apply for the level design intern position on Raven's website.

SOME QUICK ADVICE:

• Use my portfolio as a benchmark. Our HR staff has told me a few times that they measure incoming employees against my portfolio for intern and associate level. It also gives you some pictures of the MW3 DLC levels I built.
  • Follow the one sheet on the design test page, but don't be afraid to innovate. We will be asking you questions about what you change, so be ready to rationalize it.
  • Take your time with the test, theres no timelimit besides the deadline, but remember the more time you spend on it the better it needs to be. We'll ask you roughly how much time you spent so don't lie!
  • I cannot stress this last part enough, so I'll bold, italicize, underline, and make it huge:

PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE WEBSITE, ESPECIALLY ABOUT NAMING CONVENTIONS AND FOLDER SCHEMES. Both of those are VERY important to how MW1 handles loading levels. If I have to spend half an hour placing files in the right spot and compiling your level, your chances of getting to a phone interview or beyond are drastically reduced. I am not trying to be snarky or mean with this! I want to help you!

Beyond the above, I can answer any questions you have about studio life, my typical workday, the internship. And if I can't answer it, I'll try to find someone who can.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It's pretty cool that you guys are running this again. Awesomes stuff.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
It's pretty cool that you guys are running this again. Awesomes stuff.

Last year was pretty great for internships, we brought on a lot of really cool people (like Rexy). I know there are a lot of talented people still in the community, and I want to keep giving them a shot at going pro.

If you non-US guys want to still give this a shot, I can go through the tests on my own time and give you feedback. It'd be experience working in a new engine, with a new editor on a timelimit, which will show recruiters you can hit the ground running on new tools and direction.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Hey guys,

I want to take the time to express how much of a great opportunity this is. Early last year, I applied for a similar internship at Raven as an environment art intern. I took a test similar to this (though for art, not design), submitted it, and from there my life has changed drastically--and for the better. I moved to beautiful Madison, got an apartment and started working for Raven Software, working with amazing talent to left and right of me, being assigned real tasks and learning amazing things. I've been here 7 months now and the amount I've learned since being at Raven has really boosted my skill-set, taught me things I would never have thought about in games, and given me insight into the gaming industry.

If you want to work in games, and you're serious about it, take this test, and take it seriously. Spend the time and do your best. Getting into the game industry is a really hard thing to do, and Raven knows there are pools out talent out there in communities like this, and that makes what Dan and Raven are doing a rare thing.

Additionally, I want to encourage those people who are not in US to take this test anyway. You'll learn to use another editor, it's great practice and a good way to branch out. You may even be able to add this to your portfolio.

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
How "finished" are these supposed to be? Are they expected to be fully detailed with lighting, etc?

Only looking for dev textures and basic lighting. Its up to you if you want to do more, but I'd suggest the most you do are basic textures and theming. We're interested in your design! Other people art the levels.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks for posting this here again this year. Hope you get some good candidates from here.

Fish 2.0

Nov 22, 2012
However much I would love to go for this I have no grasp on MW3 gameplay and I live in New Zealand.

It is cool to know that there are places out there doing this though. Whoever gets in, good luck!

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
dude, I wish I was in the US.

Damn right you do.

united-states-of-america.jpg

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
However much I would love to go for this I have no grasp on MW3 gameplay and I live in New Zealand.

It is cool to know that there are places out there doing this though. Whoever gets in, good luck!

Like Rexy said, give replicating the design a shot anyway. It'll teach you a new tool at the very least. Let me wax some poetic at you:

When I was growin' up on the internet, I remember Raven snapping up good LDs left and right, and I want to bring that golden era back again. I think we're one of the only studios who post a public design test, and for good reason.

I believe in the mod communities and their endless amounts of talent, and I want everyone whos talented and unknown to have the chances that those early people and the few of us who were lucky enough to get the one in a million shot. I remember waiting to be discovered and it never happened, and I know there are people out there doing the same.

This is your one in a million shot. This test is your key into the industry, if not at Raven then at another studio. Prove you have the work ethic to complete the test, send it to me and I'll give you feedback, then put it proudly on your portfolio. If you don't have one, heres your cornerstone to start building with.

Go forth and draw brushes in an editor you're not familiar with, because you want to do this for a living.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Do it sooper, I think you'd do great.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I can't do it this year, as I've opted to finish classes first (you know, a degree is good to have). But in light of that, I'll be still taking the test (If I get time), but more as a practice.

I, like TxiDriver said, recommend that everyone else who is remotely interested try this out too. At least you know what is to come, and you get to learn a new engine!