pl_hoodoo [Final release]

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Those lamps that Demos can land on should probably have "steep" playerclips that make you slide off. It wouldn't feel weird (you'd expect to be able to bump into them, so making them non-solid is not a good option). And if it makes it feel better, Valve does that. :p

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Those lamps that Demos can land on should probably have "steep" playerclips that make you slide off. It wouldn't feel weird (you'd expect to be able to bump into them, so making them non-solid is not a good option). And if it makes it feel better, Valve does that. :p

In pretty much every valve map, those lights and that sort of thing have no collisions. Players expect that sort of thing.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
In pretty much every valve map, those lights and that sort of thing have no collisions. Players expect that sort of thing.

Wrong. It depends on the type of light in many cases. Ones that stick out straight can usually be sat on top of. A good example is at the start of Dustbowl stage 2. Ones that slope down or are rounded either have a slope or no collisions. If you decompile Dustbowl you can see how they did each fixture, and it varies per instance.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
chilly re sentry locations: I've acted on a few, hopefully in the right places, it wont make a huge difference to the map but it might aid defence slightly more.
bob re clipping: fixed all the ones you've pointed out (except one which I decided was legit)

hammer is a lot faster on the new pc so its suddenly become vastly easier to make changes to hoodoo :thumbup1:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've just gone though and stripped out about half the cubemaps, the final room in stage three had ten cubemaps in it.... ten!... and thats not even including the spawnroom behind it!
Crazy.
I've also reduced the likelihood of spawncamping on stage 3 a lot.
There really isn't a great deal left to do. I'm not sure I want to finalise it though...

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Don't finalize it until you put that explosion from the bomb in. I don't want to cap, only to hear ticking sounds and die. I want to see an explosion, then a ticking sound, then die.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I've just gone though and stripped out about half the cubemaps, the final room in stage three had ten cubemaps in it.... ten!... and thats not even including the spawnroom behind it!
Crazy.
I've also reduced the likelihood of spawncamping on stage 3 a lot.
There really isn't a great deal left to do. I'm not sure I want to finalise it though...

Removing all those cubemaps should definately help with the file size. How do you even justify having ten in there in the first place? :confused:

Maybe release RC1?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It must have been one of my more excentric moments...
I can do anything I want.. I'm excentric..
one of the best quotes ever.
overall i've probably chopped about 5-10 mb of cubemaps out, i can't be sure exactly how much I've removed though.

Chilly

May 3, 2008
chilly re sentry locations: I've acted on a few, hopefully in the right places, it wont make a huge difference to the map but it might aid defence slightly more.

Good news. Looking forward to trying it out. :)

crazychicken

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
I've updated version b2 to b4a now on server but it seems layout of 2nd cp on 1st stage is the same when personally i think its a bit too hard to cap.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

L3: Member
Nov 2, 2008
but it seems layout of 2nd cp on 1st stage is the same when personally i think its a bit too hard to cap.

I disagree. With a minimum of coordinated teamplay that cp is easy to take!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I have a favour to ask of you all now, I've uploaded a quick compile (no vis or rad) of hoodoo and I'd like as many people to download it and simply to push the cart through all three stages as many times as possible.
Once you've done this please report back if you noticed anything that shouldn't have happened. I'm talking wierd cart behaviour like it moving on its own or it stopping when it shouldn't, that sort of thing.
Don't upload it to a server though, whilst its a small download its got no vis or rad information so its fullbright and laggy!!

The file is here don't worry its only a 12mb .zip not the 94mb .bsp of the whole thing.

If you can grab a friend or two on a local server to test this (both go blue) that would be even better or even using bots and the mimic commands to emulate a full team pushing it, but testing it alone will surfice if you can't do that.

A huge thank you to anyone who can do this (I may even credit you in the readme)

The reason I'm asking this is so I can confirm as far as possible that a certain bug has been removed, I'd hate to put out yet another version with the same (or a new) bug!

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not a big fan of the one-way grate removal (stage 2). The main issue with it was that BLU could build a sentry up to T3 behind it, and then let hell loose by opening the gate. Clearly this needed fixing. However, in its current state, a good BLU sniper is able to decimate RED from the back of the tunnel, with virtually no retaliation to fear. And in the absence of such a sniper, then RED is given a flanking route that's too efficient.

I would suggest putting the grate back and adding an S-turn, maybe even Z-turn, at the end of the tunnel (with the grate in the middle of the S). This would prevent sentry abuse while preventing RED from going in there, and preventing BLU from sniping.