L2: Junior Member
Feb 28, 2013
Precision

This map is an experimental redesign of ctf

-----------------------------
How it works:

Like inverse ctf you take the intel to the enemy base

The intel can be taken to either the enemy base or to the middle point

Ownership of the middle point makes the intel spawn at mid instead of at your base

Ownership of the middle point makes your team spawn further forward

The team not in ownership of the middle point can capture at either mid or the enemy base

The winning team is the first to reach three total captures

If neither team reaches three captures by the end of 10 minutes whichever team owns mid wins

If neither team reaches three captures by the end of 10 minutes and neither team owns mid the round will stalemate (really hard to do)

Play a round and it will make sense
-----------------------------

The idea behind it is that owning the middle point is never a direct advantage over the other team, and when one team owns mid both teams have to make decisions regarding defense and offense. The team at mid has a capture advantage because they're close, but also need to defend two areas. The team without mid can capture two areas that can't both realistically be defended, but face a much greater risk of being pushed into when they're out attacking. Mid is highly flankable, making it hard to defend, so holding the area by the end of the round is worth a win.

Notes:
This map is meant to test the viability of the gamemode and may not be very good as an actual map. If that's the case another map will be designed for it.

The map is relatively small and doesn't have a lot of open areas, so it will probably play best with less than 20 people.

Whenever the intel is captured a global func_flagrespawn is triggered to avoid a bug with flag enabling/disabling.

Last edited:

Samniss Arandeen

L1: Registered
Mar 3, 2013
I like the idea. The only problem I see is informing players new to this style of CTF what the hell is going on.

That is all. For now.

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
Love the concept of it. :)
This will hopefully prevent engineers from camping their precious intel. The more action the better, and nobody likes stalemates or massive-multilayer-stacked-spychecked sentry nests, especially in ctf.
Also, do you have multiple ways to bypass the mid to prevent it from being too much of a choke? So that holding it isn't a big advantage.
Then, I think there might be some sightlines that are too big, in the angled main roads and another one from top to bottom over the mid bridge, trough doorways all the way to the bottom of the map. (From top-down view, that is)
A single sniper could cover the entire midcap like that.
That's my thoughts on this, and I really like it, like invade ctf but different.

Last edited:

Ice Crystal

Feb 28, 2013
Love the concept of it. :)
This will hopefully prevent engineers from camping their precious intel. The more action the better, and nobody likes stalemates or massive-multilayer-stacked-spychecked sentry nests, especially in ctf.
Also, do you have multiple ways to bypass the mid to prevent it from being too much of a choke? So that holding it isn't a big advantage.
Then, I think there might be some sightlines that are too big, in the angled main roads and another one from top to bottom over the mid bridge, trough doorways all the way to the bottom of the map. (From top-down view, that is)
A single sniper could cover the entire midcap like that.
That's my thoughts on this, and I really like it, like invade ctf but different.

Currently the only way around mid is to follow the main angled paths. It probably isn't enough but I don't want to make either side completely undefendable from mid. I'll probably put a sliding door in to help attackers get around unseen, and it would also close the biggest sniper sightline a bit. I'll make decisions like that after I can get a test done though

Last edited:

Ice Crystal

Feb 28, 2013
Why not make this a standard reverse ctf map?

The reason I'm messing around with the gamemode is because I wanted to use the general ctf mechanic of "take object to location" without all the turtling of other ctf maps. With normal ctf, inverse ctf and invade ctf the idea that you can hold down one area and stalemate forever is a constant. Hopefully this modified gamemode will break that by moving people around and forcing them to make decisions. When this is played on a game day it will test my theory more than it will test the map.

Last edited:

Ice Crystal

Feb 28, 2013
Gameday was interesting, to say the least.

At first nobody knew what to do and it was just a bunch of deathmatch. The few people who did understand it right away were capping the intel while everyone else ran around oblivious, and the rounds lasted just a couple minutes each with people not understanding why one team won.

Eventually people seemed to understand how owning the middle point worked and that you could capture the intel at either the enemy base or mid, and the rounds started to slow down. There was still some confusion when the people owning mid held a strong defense but forgot about defending their own base and lost.

The voiced opinion was that owning mid should not count as a capture, but only move the spawn and intel forward. If this were to be done owning mid would only be a disadvantage for defending your own base since there's no benefit of getting a point for capping it.

Mid was a big bowl of spam. The layout of the entrances and exits seemed to work well though, so decreasing the height difference should help that a bit. The map was, as I feared, smaller than it should be for the number of players. A lot of the problems aside from confusing gameplay can be solved by providing more space. The areas outside the first spawns will be opened up and the diagonal hallways on either side of mid will be bumped out a bit. Mid will probably be widened a tad too. There will also be nobuilds at all three intel sites.

Oh yeah, I'll make a map specific cfg that disables capture crits and maybe makes the cap umber 4

Hopefully this doesn't die as a hated and confusing spamfest c:

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Another thing I would recommend would be a custom HUD that incorporates CP icons under the flag indicators. Valve added a way to do that back when we had the attack/defense CTF contest ages ago; you might be able to decompile HAARP and recycle part of its entity setup. It might also benefit you to silence the announcer's lines and use some of the ones from Doomsday in their place. Other than being told that either we or the enemy had "captured the intelligence", none of them were really of any practical use. Especially when it's first picked up at the spawn point. Given that we are for whatever reason delivering a payload to the enemy base, australium would make more sense than intelligence anyway.

Ice Crystal

Feb 28, 2013
Another thing I would recommend would be a custom HUD that incorporates CP icons under the flag indicators. Valve added a way to do that back when we had the attack/defense CTF contest ages ago; you might be able to decompile HAARP and recycle part of its entity setup. It might also benefit you to silence the announcer's lines and use some of the ones from Doomsday in their place. Other than being told that either we or the enemy had "captured the intelligence", none of them were really of any practical use. Especially when it's first picked up at the spawn point. Given that we are for whatever reason delivering a payload to the enemy base, australium would make more sense than intelligence anyway.

I think HAARP is just multi-stage CP with a flag and detect zones that change point ownership. The point seems to break when I try setting it to red ownership, probably since point ownership always changes from Red to Blu or by associated capture zones.

I made the HUD work though, and it isn't pretty
wePxS3K.png

MBOcYB9.jpg

Since there are no announcer files for invade CTF switching it to that both fixed the flag colors and silenced the announcer. I can have deliberate australium related sounds now like "Success, we have delivered the device" and "The device is ready for pickup"