Skullcove 

Map Version: Release Candidate 
Type: MVM
Released: 07-02-2013 
Last Update: 09-07-2013 
UKCS-Alias
L7: Guru

Default Skullcove

A halloween mvm map. This map is small in size by being about the same length as decoy. It contains 4 paths for the zombies to take and 2 paths for the tanks where the zombies can spawn at multiple locations. There is 1 bomb reset option which is the deathpit and there is a pushback zone. However, depending on the action bots are able to take a diffirent path (if they walk over the middle to reach the other side its by design).

There are 2 missions for the map.
Nightmare which is slightly easier than the nightmare difficulty of valve.
Horror which equals or exceeds valve's expert difficulty.
I was working on a version even harder than that but since its rare and hard to test with a capable team i removed it since the old version didnt work that well.

And a small story on how i started on this map:
After ramparts (which i dropped) i stopped mapping due to lack of time and interest. When mvm came out i started on some custom mvm waves and was able to make some nice well playing creations without using any special classes. However, at some point you start getting mvm map ideas. Snowbat wanted to start on one but lacked an idea. I did draw one and he created it, at some point i decided to join in the project and we made a blueprint. I refined that blueprint to an actual playable alpha version.
He would start on the details. But as i kinda got bored after finishing that alpha blueprint (i got back in the mapping spirit - some things you just cant get fully rid off) i decided to just see if i could make a halloween version so i wouldnt harm snowbats creation. This is the result.
And this while snowbat never started on the normal version. Maybe ill make it later on. But again, i cant realy tell how my mapping spirit is

Changelog

Release candidate 1:
Map fully detailed
Wave settings changed so they make more sense in votes (no longer shows normal twice)
Changed default loaded wave (was horror, is now nightmare)
Small bugs fixed

-----

Beta 5 main changes:
Patches below health and ammo added
Healthpacks use the halloween model
Attempts at fixing the respawnrooms for the bots
Map now is allmost fully detailed (only some overlays to go)
More light has been added to the main paths to give them a higher focus
Better lighting overal
Halloween style upgrade lockers
Soundscapes
Displacements are now more smooth and natural
Nav path to upper area opened in case the bomb spawns there

Beta 5 wave changes:
Engineers changed (they teleport into the map and hp is 500. they still dont build teleports)
Added a wave inbetween and increased some gaps between waves (to compensate for any engy disrupting)
More uses of the other spawns
An easy wave 666 has been added.

-----
Beta 4 was skipped due to finding major problems after its release.
-----

Beta 3 main changes:
Detailing further done - map nearly complete textured!
Bot spawn exits extended to try to enforce them to drop (still seems to break at occasions)
Stairs are now clipped for projectiles
Arrow at bot spawn to help new players knowing where they come from
A few nav issues fixed
Added custom posters by Frying Dutchman

-----

B2a changes:
Detailing further done
Visual errors fixed (mainly things like floating objects and gaps in walls)
Slight geometry changes (solves clipping bugs and in some cases allowed better visuals by removing unused areas)
Bot spawnrooms extended so they should allways walk out before they can shoot, they go over the edge.
Side path to the left side flank added. Bots will avoid this path.
The right side bomber reset area has its usefullness slightly increased (provides health and ammo)
Wave setting changed so there is a little bit of time (10-20s) between each wave and all spawns are used although limited
Some sentry expots fixed

B2a Extra Waves changes:
Advanced has been made harder (needs testing)
Normal mode difficulty decreased (now using tactics as gunslingers and such can still allow you to win)
Now as seperate vpk to allow optional install.
(If valve just invented you could use a diffirent popfile as default setting it would make that easier)

B2 was canceled due to having texture issues after i released it to some others (huge purple black textures on walls <3). Replaced the texture with one i was sure of it worked fine.

-----

First public version after 13 alpha versions and a beta under the name thunderworld (all those versions were private)
Mapname changed from Thunderworld to Skullcove

Old 07-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
TheBestUsername
L3: Junior Member

Thanks given: 72
Thanks received: 37

I can't find anything to complain about from the screenshots, but I think a better name for this map is in order. Keep working on the map and don't drop this one!

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBestUsername For This Useful Post:

Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Prestige
March 2009: Diagnosed with "The Gay"

Thanks given: 1,731
Thanks received: 1,339

thunderworld is maybe thebestname. this dudes name is a lie.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prestige For This Useful Post:

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
kimoto
L1: Registered

Thanks given: 1
Thanks received: 7

cool!

The Following User Says Thank You to kimoto For This Useful Post:

Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Little Dude

Thanks given: 89
Thanks received: 54

This is looking pretty awesome

The Following User Says Thank You to Little Dude For This Useful Post:

Old 07-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
UKCS-Alias

Thanks given: 155
Thanks received: 236

The download of B1 under a new name has been added.

Be aware that this wave 666 is harder than the one valve made.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
compy

Thanks given: 10
Thanks received: 7

Some observations after testing out this map with other players:
  • The advanced mission's first wave took one one go to beat, while the normal mission took 10-20 tries (I did not keep count) without beating wave 1, especially with having two engineers and two heavies. I wish I could go into further detail on this.
  • The inside of the right upgrade station past is not visible while looking outside from the inside of the left upgrade station. The same applies from the right to the left.
  • The popfile mvm_skullcove_b1_normal should be renamed to mvm_skullcove_b1 and mvm_skullcove_b1 (wave 666) to mvm_skullcove_b1_expert because if a mission change vote for 'normal' is called and passes, the server loads popfile mvm_skullcove_b1 instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to compy For This Useful Post:

Old 07-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
UKCS-Alias

Thanks given: 155
Thanks received: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by compy View Post
The advanced mission's first wave took one one go to beat, while the normal mission took 10-20 tries (I did not keep count) without beating wave 1, especially with having two engineers and two heavies. I wish I could go into further detail on this.
Although it surprises me, it wasnt fully tested with multiple teams. We tried to be weaker by taking classes we arent good at at all. And we simply played each wave until we had it easy to beat it. Seems we were better than we thought then.
(although it doesnt surprise me as with usual classes we beat expert with ease)

Still, its good to say that it took 20 tries while having 2 engies. As that clearly shows something just isnt right. 2 engies normaly should be able to hold down most of the enemies (if not all of the small ones) on normal.
Quote:
The inside of the right upgrade station past is not visible while looking outside from the inside of the left upgrade station. The same applies from the right to the left.
I checked the fade distances valve used, but since it seems to be wrong ill recheck that.
Quote:
The popfile mvm_skullcove_b1_normal should be renamed to mvm_skullcove_b1 and mvm_skullcove_b1 (wave 666) to mvm_skullcove_b1_expert because if a mission change vote for 'normal' is called and passes, the server loads popfile mvm_skullcove_b1 instead.[/LIST]
Thats deliberate though. Note that the final versions shouldnt actualy be having these alternative waves.

I mentioned in the description that snowbat is also working on this version. At least, that was the idea. These waves were designed during the alpha testing of that. After that alpha state i decided to make the wave 666 version of the map.

This explains why the expert version is the default. For testing though i might simply put it as normal expert version though as that will at least make the voting legit. On my server we dont have that voting as i can just change it with rcon (and often do to change waves).

Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
TheBestUsername

Thanks given: 72
Thanks received: 37

I see you listened to my advice. Skullcove has a far better ring to it; I think that name just might be a keeper.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBestUsername For This Useful Post:

Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
MarshalN

Thanks given: 0
Thanks received: 5

I've played the 666 version of this twice now with two different teams. We beat it the first time pretty easily - not too much drama, albeit with a good team. The second time we lost by two giant heavies at the end, probably because of the fact that we played with no engi (two soldiers, one demo, one heavy, one scout, one pyro). A few comments/questions:

I think the first thing to note is that the left path, right now, is impossible to beat if you're playing the 666 version of the map. There's no way to get up there unless you're a soldier. Demo will take a fair amount of damage and is quite likely to die before doing much, and I think heavy, pyro, or engi won't ever make it up there (ok, you can sentry jump, but that's a pretty iffy way for that wave). If the 666 goes on the left path, it seems to be pretty much game over right there. Is that deliberate? Could you make a set of stairs from the left spawn point (behind that wooden plank) up around to the pathway? Otherwise it seems to me to be a lopsided map with one side a lot harder than the other.

Is the extra path further right of the elevated right walkway a viable path? Otherwise, maybe you can delete it? I don't think anybody used it during my games.

Also, right now the ways up to the ledges around the bot spawning area seems a bit convoluted. Maybe you can simplify it so that the pathways are more obvious?

The bridge on top of the right tank spawn - sometimes sniper bots stand there, but they are invincible when standing there (at least a part of it) so that I couldn't kill them. It was rather annoying.

Bots shooting before they are hittable - is that also deliberate? Those giant rapid fire crit soldier shooting before we can hit them are annoying. It also makes the job of a demo trying to kill medics quite difficult. Since this is different from basically every other map out there for mvm, I'm not sure if this is something you'd want to have in your map.

On the right hand side elevated area around bot spawn, maybe add a fence or two that will shield the players? Right now that whole pathway is completely uncovered - if you got up there, somehow, with enemy bots jumping down (or not yet jumping down) you're pretty much dead meat.

I'd say this is a pretty difficult mission, but is there a way for you to design it so that there's at least maybe two "upgrade buying" breaks in between? Right now there's no break at all - the bots keep coming. That's fine, so we buy upgrades when we die. Is that the design?

Last edited by MarshalN; 07-07-2013 at 10:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarshalN For This Useful Post:
Comment  

Previous Release Next Release
Release Tools