CP Highlands

hooky

L2: Junior Member
Aug 1, 2012
Welcome to Highlands, a linear 3CP map!

This map uses artpass_valvebase as its base. Some people on TFTV were talking about how Mountain Lab might work better for 6s with a Blu forward spawn. I decided that I'd actually take the original map by Valve and turn it into a 6s-oriented A/D map.

Hope this works out well. I'd love to see an A/D map that people like in 6s.

BSP download (if you don't/can't unzip the BZ2): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31103105/Maps/cp_highlands_a8.bsp

NOTE: There was a map made back in 2011 with the same name. It was a 5CP map. Since it never made it past Alpha 2B, I have decided to use this name. To avoid any potential conflicts, I will start my map at Alpha 3. Here's the old map: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=16546

Last edited:

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
Yikes. I underestimated how bad A was. After playing this map with bots, I realized that A capped excruciatingly slow. Also, as a BLU scout, I got to A before any bots on RED (of course, they're bots, but still...). So I have updated the map a little.

A4 is now out.

Changelog:
-Made the BLU forward spawn also RED's initial spawn. RED's spawn switches after A is capped.
-A and B now cap faster: A is down to 24 seconds from 40, and B is 12 seconds from 20.
-Setup time has been extended to 30 seconds. Hopefully this allows RED to build a defense but not too strong of one.
-The A/B connector behind A is now always unlocked. BLU players can get up here using crates as an alternate route to B.
-Oops! I missed some stairs! 3 additional stairs are now blockbulleted.
-Gates at BLU initial spawn now open faster.
-Added an additional route to the A/B connector behind A. This should allow RED players to get up that way easier.
-Also blockbulleted the ladders on the RED shipping crate near A.

Last edited:

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
Excuse me while I fix that and then go kill myself at the thought of a 30 minute setup time

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
A4A is now out.

Changelog:
-The trigger_teleport in forward spawn is now only enabled while A is capped and B isn't. Before this, both teams would spawn in RED's C spawnroom.
-Reduced sniper sightline behind point. Now a sniper has to drop down to the area instead of hanging out in the connector.
-Added an extra clip on the house between BLU spawn and A, and also bulletblocked the clips there.
-Bulletblocked the 2 stairs at B. Hopefully I'm done with this.

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
A5 is now out. (Actually it's been out for a while, just forgot to put it here. A6 should be coming soon-ish.)

Changelog:
-Basic texturing, just so you can see where the map is heading in artstyle (and to make it easier to navigate).
-Reduced sniper sightline at A; I added a wall in the valley so the sniper couldn't shoot all the way almost to spawn.
-Removed exit overhang at the forward spawn, and the platform in front of spawn. You now exit directly onto the displacement.
-Added a flank route to A. It goes from the left house to the bridge thing.
-Moved a window in the sniper house to accommodate for this.
-Bullet blocked an area by B.
-Added a second exit at forward spawn.
-Removed platform from the bridge to the tower, and moved the truck.
-Tried to reduce sniper sightline at the bridge. Window has glass in it now, and I added some more props.
-Extended setup timer to 60 seconds.
-Blocked A/B connector (like default) behind A after A is capped. This door now doesn't allow you to see through the connector, and also is further into the B area than the old one.

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
A6A is now out! Download is above.

A6 was not officially released because heavies could easily get onto the balcony. I also later happened to find a leak.

Alpha 6a Changelog:
-Fixed heavies being able to jump up to the balcony. It is still possible with the GRU.
-Fixed a leak.

Alpha 6 Changelog (unreleased):
-Enclosed the A area plus the cliff to lower the height of that area. This should also reduce the sightline.
-Created a choke at B; this should make the point easier to defend and also reduces the sightline.
-Replaced the B house with a spire; this should allow for more interesting gameplay
-Spire includes a platform from which players can jump from to get to the health and ammo on the balcony.
-Removed health at the entrance to the last building.
-Replaced all of those stairs at the back A/B connector with ramps; this should make it much easier to get around.
-Lowered the cliff, and made a new ramp that connects with the ramp to the flank house.
-Added a wall next to the forward spawn exit new in a5, instead of just having skybox.
-Moved upper entrance to last to the left.
-Added another route to A through the sniper house: you can go behind the point.
-Improved lighting.

Acadium

Playtest Extraordinaire
Apr 20, 2013
Isn't this just cp_mountainlab without the texturing, or am I just crazy?

andyvich

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2013
Love this map!

I think my only real gripe is that I feel the routes from A to B deter off-classing. The dropdown route can only be taken by Soldiers and Demomen, while the route on top can only be taken by Scouts, Soldiers and Demomen.

Medics are pretty much given a choice - Run the Quick-Fix or walk through this low-ground chokepoint. Snipers have no open to peek, Spies find it difficult to get anywhere without the DR, Heavies pretty much need to be ubered in, etc.

I think you could either make it possible for any class to take the top route (like how MountainLab has it) or put some boxes at the dropdown to allow people to climb back up.

That's it though. Map is a pleasure to play and I can't wait for future versions!

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
A7 is now out!

(There was also an a6b but I decided not to release it. I also forgot what I changed, but it was minor anyway.)

Downloads are updated.

Changelog:
-Slightly raised last.
-Lowered the top floor of last to the 2nd floor.
-Added supports to platform on spire.
-Reopened the behind A to B route.
-Added crates to said route.
-Made a new spawn in the formerly unused corner of yard.
-Replaced old spawn with a new route to B.
-Reopened the sniper window, and added a new path to a dropdown to this building, going over the new spawn and the old spawn, dropping out on the other side of the big wall.
-Extended the cliff, adding a new route to the tower.
-Added small ramps next to the wooden stairs to make getting on them easier.

hooky

Aug 1, 2012
A8 is now out! Had lots of trouble getting this to work, actually. I was going to stream but I just now finished working on the map because hammer

Downloads are updated.

Changelog:
-Removed rock passage to the platform room next to last; there is now a door that leads straight into that room.
-Added a new route from the platform room to the stair room at last; this should allow greater mobility through pushing routes, and also allows for more areas to be used.
-Shrunk the large, empty room.
-Made the right room (when pushing) smaller. This may have actually been a change in A7 that I missed.
-Enclosed 2nd; giant wall is now a rock wall.
-Changed some textures around.