CP grain

Apr 14, 2013
Update!

a9 (unreleased due to holes in playerclip, broken areaportals and the fact I was already working on a10)
Changelog:
-fixed some problems
-made cp2 in 2nd stage, and the whole area around it, much bigger (yet probably not enough)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

a10a-a10e (I made 5 different versions, ended up with the last one (a10e) being the best)

Changelog:

first stage
-changed BLU spawn
-distance between BLU spawn and 1st cp is now longer
-changed the exact placement of the train and the crane building
-added staircase to the roof of the crane building on the defender's (RED) side
-added floor beneath the A-B connector
-changed the lower floor layout of the buildings to the left of the 2nd cp (looking from BLU side), added more enterance/exit doors, more space and more obvious health+ammo
-changed the 2nd cp itself slightly, too
-blocked lines of sight around the level

second stage
-some people think they can outsmart me (and setup time). maybe. maybe. I'll have to meet one that can outsmart blockbullets. In other words, you spammy soldiers will not be able to kill each other during setup time, I've blockbulleted the spawn...
-health placement on 1st cp was moved
-added a balcony overlooking the 2nd cp, with an enterance from the big building blocking A from B.
-you can also rocket-jump above the wall of the balcony, but you can't stand on it
-blocked sightlines (using only two half-crates (!)) between the building blocking A from B and the 2nd cp area
-many changes that probably no one will notice to the 2nd cp

third stage
-A NEW ENTERANCE FOR BLU!!!! it's about time BLU will be able to walk through a non-certain-death path towards A.
-A NEW POINT A!!!! it was a crappy elevator at the edge of a steep slope with BLU on one edge and RED stuck in the broken forward spawn, for far too long...
-A NEW POINT B!!! point B wasn't cool enough so I made a new one that looks better and hopefully plays better too.

general
-I don't remember it all, but there were lots of small things...

Download it now!!!

Apr 14, 2013
It's been a long time...

I was working on a11 a bit before the 72h contest, but this map is badly designed and I stopped. (The map is planned really badly - the whole 3rd stage is located under the 2nd one, which makes it insanely hard to work on both of them...who's idea was this stupid design? <--mine)

I don't remember all the things that have changed, but there were lots of them, but still, not enough. There are still some things that I wanted to change, but the compiling took me almost 3 days (THREE days- that map file is bad, man!) and I didn't want to recompile it only for some stupid broken doors.

DOWNLOAD it now, there might not be another opportunity!

I am probably not going to continue to work on this map. At least not as seriously as I was doing before. This map was a great way to learn and practice mapping, but I have to say it isn't a very good map. Just look at the original cp_taka_72 (first release, more than half a year ago). It was a terrible map. almost every single part of this map got entierly re-built at least once, and that's alot of areas, since it's a 3-staged map. Some parts got rebuilt even 3 times. It would probably just be easier to make a new map.

I might also move it later to the orphaned map forum. I'll wait until the next gameday, and see if it plays any better, and then decide.

Last edited:

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
to be honest this is one of the most incredibly fun maps i've ever played
please see this through

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Shipping container in shot 3:

6069121_53924_full.jpg

Apr 14, 2013
Well...

You did convince me. I stopped working on the map because it became insanely hard to understand what was going on in the 2d views. And since the map was built "inside a box" (Don't ever fall to this lazy trick, trust me!) compiling took days (and made shitty fps). Then the 10th contest came, and I was developing cp_bridges, a much more developer-friendly map (although as I got reminded by people who downloaded the .vmf, it was still quite bad on that aspect). I started this map a long time ago- almost a year! -and I can tell you loads of boring information on it but I don't feel like continuing doing it.

So right now, after I saw that there are people that still care about the map and actually really liked it (thanks, I really appriciate it), although this wasn't in progress for some time, I started re-working on it.

First I looked at the map and thought: what parts were good? what was bad? this is what I came with, judging by common sense and feedback. please tell me if you don't agree with any part of this, or have anything to add, I'd be happy to hear some people's opinions!

Part of the map | Did other people seemed to like it? | Do I like it? | Is there any development-oriented reason I should remove this part?
1st stage BLU spawn and area|It seemed it was generaly fine|not really. It could be done better|no
1st stage 1st cp|fine|I like it|no
1st stage connector|confusing, but overall fine|could be made better|no
1st stage 2nd cp|not so good, spawncamping|didn't like it either|yes, it's already been remade a few months ago
entire 2nd stage|fine|I really like it|no
3rd stage enterance|confusing, wierd leftovers from old versions|fine|kind of
3rd stage 1st point|not good|not good at all|no
3rd stage conncetors|they are confusing|they suck|yes, they are really hard to work on
3rd stage 2nd cp|IDK|it's fine|yes, it is really hard to work on

Then I started copying gigantic map chunks out of a11 and relocating them on a new nodraw plate of what is now called a12a. As for now, only the 1st point and the new 2nd point of the 1st stage made it through the strict restrictions, along with some A=>B connector parts. The entire 2nd stage was relocated as well. Right now I'm busy making the clips aligned to their brushes.
So as for now, the only parts that will be conserved, moving on to a12, will be 1st point of 1st stage (only the point itself), some connectors' parts, new 2nd cp in 1st stage, red1/blu2 spawn, and almost the entire 2nd stage.

I mainly want to know if you guys have any specific part that you liked about Grain that you want to be conserved or some part that you'd really want that would be changed. Any comment, suggestion etc would be welcome.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh hey, this map and Bridges were made by the same person. That explains so much. What's with you and steep inclines?

Apr 14, 2013
You know, cp_bridges was mostly inspired by tc_hydro, cp_gorge, Tarry H Sruman's cp_ferrum and CP_GRAIN. Besides the steep slope, the last cp in bridges is similar to this one's last (last pic in the main thread). I guess I'm going to scrap both of them last cp's. Screw the cylinders!

And I'll add a picture of the new cp 1,2, replacing the wierd-shaped-containers lift cp.

new2nda12_zps58a8f8ec.jpg

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
i miss grain's old shitty stage 3 with the huge long skinny ramps and stuff

Apr 14, 2013
Soon this new, remade grain, will be ready!
The new 3rd stage and mostly new 1st stage will hopefully be better than the old ones.

todo (for my personal use, so I won't forget):
-finish 3,2 (last)
-finish the "gathering" room before 3,2, and the connectors to 3,2
-cubemaps, lights!! in all the 3rd stage
-texturing w/ dev textures most of the 2nd part of 3rd stage
-minimal details (barrels?)
-SIGNS!
-func_detail on some small things (handrails and such)

EDIT: And now... to the tip of the day!

Never rush things if you're not on a time limit. I tried to make some shitty lighting by copy-pasting some other lights, so I could play it and hopefully add it to the imp. Turns out that my map crashed every time I tried to open it ingame. Now I have to:
A. delete all the bad stuff
B. make it again
C. check if it works then. It might not even be the lights.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2013
a12 is finally ready, however it's not quite ready. I hope a13 will be here soon

Changelog
  • Stage 1:
    • new blu spawn, spawn-cp connector
    • rebuilt cp 1,1
    • new cp-cp connector
    • mostly new 1,2 cp
  • Stage 2:
    • some improved detailing and small things
  • stage 3:
    • ALL NEW!

DOWNLOAD

Future changes include
-probably new 1,2 since I don't like the current one (again...)
-bigger, however less open, 2,1 to blu spawn connector
-better flanks for 2,2 and 1,2
-new 3,1 or at least a redesign of it
-bigger 3,2 room
and more yet to come

Last edited: