KotH Downlow

NATO_chrisjm

L1: Registered
Sep 7, 2013
Hello,

I'm new to mapping for TF2, and with hammer. I've done a fair bit in UDK and UT3 however so I'm hoping this fist endeavour won't be a complete failure.

Obviously there is a fair amount of work left to do but I want to make sure the space works as intended before adding art etc. I am particularly concerned by the lack of cover around the capture point, and the general openness of that area.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited:
T

The Asylum

I've done a fair bit in UDK and UT3 however so I'm hoping this fist endeavour won't be a complete failure.

My only mapping endeavor prior to TF2 was HOMM3, so nothing you do could possibly by worse than my first attempt

jakoman

Nov 9, 2012
You'll find all the comments from the impromptu on the feedback page. I liked the layout of the point area, but for the gameplay to work the way you wanted, you've got to clip off the roofs. Also, contrary to the term "skybox" you actually want your skybox brushes to seal off the edges of your areas, rather than putting a large hollowed out box around the entire map. That way you'll get faster compile times and much better performance later on.

NATO_chrisjm

Sep 7, 2013
Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't aware of the performance issue. I think I'm going to end up rebuilding it entirely. The brushes are a mess and I'm unhappy with the layout. It should end up similar, but with better weighting, i.e. pulling away from the centre and facilitating more play in the paths.