sd_sherman

SD sherman_hill b1

Dommler

L1: Registered
Jul 4, 2013
Based on my 4 Point cp_ Map (were called cp_silo_xx and cp_blowpipe_xx).
This project is my first proper map, even through i tried some stuff in cs 1.6 and nt°.

The original idea was, that you could fight in an silo like tower, and the project started with no proper plan about the gameplay. Therefore, i had to change a lot during the initial work, while repairing major flaws. Also, i didn't make a concept map at all.
I could only test this map in small groups of people, so i hope for proper feedback from experienced members of this community.

The idea and the concept of this map is pretty unique (at least i think so). It is set in an major industrial like tower, which is located in an canyon.

The map is far from finished, but it should be playable. You can see some major flaws, like the abnormal rocket animation, but this does not interfere with the game.

I really hope for some criticism and proper feedback.

cp_sherman_hill can be downloaded here: (Abandoned)
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5474

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
One thing I would advise against is using those Well pipes. They were designed to have the player inside them, and as such have ridiculously short LOD distances. (You can see how one of them has transformed into an octagon in that third screenshot). There's probably enough demand for high-quality giant pipes that you could request some in our request forum and get a response.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
First two gut-reactions:

1) Vertical scaling looks off
2) I want to play this

I get #1 a lot, but #2 not so often. Seriously, this looks damn cool.

Dommler

Jul 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies, feedback and play test. Unfortunate, it could take some time, till i have the resources to implement the advised changes, because i am abroad at the moment.

To the large spawn area, it sure is no excuse, but i was lazy and kept the last control point from the cp_ version. I definitely plan to change the whole area in the future.

:)

andyvich

Sep 24, 2013
I've had a quick look through this one. Think it shows real promise and you should definitely keep it up.

Two little problems though.

- You can stickyjump from your bottom spawn door to your middle one. Combining this with the walkways, you can pick up the flag and get it to the rocket without having to go into the opponent's half of the map. I recorded a demo of me doing this, so you can see what I mean.

- It can be a bit confusing telling which side of the map you're on at first glance, because everything is brown. I think having the walls in different colours would help when you're running upstairs with the flag and you're not sure if that's your spawn or their spawn.

Apart from those two, it's great and I'm really looking forward to future versions :)

Dommler

Jul 4, 2013
Updated to sd_sherman_hill_a02 and cp_sherman_hill_a01.

Changes in Changelog.

2013-10-13_00011.jpg

Dommler

Jul 4, 2013
After some playtest (thanks for all the feedback and demos) here the update to sd_sherman_hill_b05.

Changes can be seen in changelog.

Dommler

Jul 4, 2013
Doing a powerhouse, I decided to finish up the sd version of the original sherman map.

sd_sherman features:
- a vertical special delivery map
- changing paths depending on the australium beeing picked up or returning to the dropsite

what is new:
- new rocket model
- different rocket animation
- added textures

what are issues still worked on:
- the reflections of the rocket model don't save
- something can block player movement around the rocket lid
- a weird deathzone after the rocket launch
- checking if the lift speed is balanced for the defending or attacking team
- lightning optimization

Note: This is still based on my first map, so it does not feature the best optimization with its open spaces.

For tests i am looking if the model and textures work fine, and if the timing feels fair for an sd map.

Feedback is always welcome.

20200226205243_1.jpg 20200226205310_1.jpg 20200226205403_1.jpg 20200226205420_1.jpg 20200226205432_1.jpg 20200226205503_1.jpg

Attachments

• sd_sherman_b1.bsp
    46.5 MB · Views: 108
Last edited: