Goldthorpe

PL Goldthorpe b5

Curtain_Pole

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2012
Map Details

This is a small single stage payload map with one checkpoint and one final cap which will trigger an amusing finale and team switch.

I designed the layout to be quite simple, as this is my first real effort at a TF2 map I wanted to start off simple (What I thought would be simple :p) There is a building outside the Blu spawn that provides interesting defense stratagies for the RED team, moving forward to the first cap a high vantage point requires the BLU team to think on their feet.

I started work on this map in November 2013 and it has been a labour of love (even being forgotten about for a couple of months)

Latest Edit

the b5 edit mainly focuses on visual elements outside of spawn rooms, the horrible 3D skybox has been completely replaced with new brushwork and the horrible old building outside of Blue spawn has been overhauled.

This edit really focuses on exterior detailing, further updates will bring the Red spawn room visuals up to a much higer standard

Please leave as much feedback as possible to help me out. I want this map to be my best work :thumbup:

Personal Details

I have been working in Hammer for a number of years however this is probably this first time I've tried to really commit myself to following a single project from start to finish

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
It looks pretty good for a first alpha, but there are a few recommendations I'd make:

First, change your reflectivity 90 walls to something a little less intense, it's painful to look at! I'd recommend reflectivity 50 or 60 instead.

Second, you should probably put a prop of some kind at the end of the track to make it more obvious to players where the objective ends. When the track just disappears it makes it a little confusing to tell just how far you have to push.

Third, you might want to ease up on the deathpits a little bit. You have a ton of deathpit right now and it seems a little excessive. You may also want to make a few more routes through different areas, right now it seems a bit linear.

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Thanks for the feedback nightwatch,

I used the reflectivity texture for lack of another dev texture, The sun angles used to be different with the wall in shadow but now that it is in full sunlight it does look incredibly bright. Secondly I will probably place the explosive pit found in Badwater and Goldrush at the end as well as a down arrow, this should certainly help. a

As for you final point, as I have not tested this map yet I will probably wait for feedback on the level design before making any changes, one thing a have considered is placing another access tunnel on the north side of the map as well as a balcony on the center building facing the red base. Thank again!

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Thank you for doing this, I wish I could have joined you. It has really helped identify important issues within this map, I noticed there were a lot of issues that needed addressing ranging from general bug fixes to major level design issues, so therefore I will be addressing the following issues raised.

• Change door triggers from "OnStartTouch" to "On StartTouchAll" (I noticed a few player were complaining about getting stuck)

• More healthkits (I noticed in the chat there was a lot of complaining about there not being enough healthkits, there are actually 3 healthkits within the level and with this being a small map I though this was adequate, however the video has revealed that the positions of these healthkits are no obvious enough and not big enough (especially the final cap healthkit), I will make them more obvious and where necessary provide larger health boost)

• Round time (The blue team won every round in the video despite being successfully defended for a large amount of time in some parts as well as this people were complaing that the round was too long for the map size and therefore this will be adresses, I will try cutting the round timer in half to see if this has the desired effect)

• Players can build in spawn (Not much to say here, will fix it)

• Level Design (SEE NUMBERED LIST BELOW FOR PROPOSED CHANGES) (This was a major issue, the majority of complaints were regarding the final cap and how it is essentially a giant alley and after seeing it in play I agree, therefore I propose the following adjustments

• -1-Removal of all death pits after first cap (I noticed pyros were making a killing with these, the death bit at the side of first cap will be the only one)

• -2-The payload will take a 90 degree turn about halfway through what is now the final straight and go along a newly created area and final cap, this should add a lot of new level elements, create a better overall experience and get rid of those nasty death pits

• -3-A final cap point that is more noticeable, from the video I gathered that players were having a hard time distinguishing the final cap point, therefore I will be adding the explosion pit that is found on goldrush & badwater

• -4- More routes through the level (There was a lot of complaining that the map layout was too simple)

I will begin to edit the map and will release the updated version under the name "pl_goldthorpe_a2" and the full changelog will be posted with the update. In the meantime if anyone has any additional comments on the map then please let me know.

Thank you to everyone who playtested it

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updated to a2

for a list of the major changes please see the change log, there has been a major change in level design so I would be interested in getting some feedback.

Thank you

Sep 7, 2012
It's a lot better now but you've really just moved the problem, not solved it. There's still a large section of the map that all players must pass through if they want to move between areas, and that's bad.

pl_goldthorpe_a20000.jpg

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
On the left side of your image on the otherside of that wall there is a small area that has a health/ammo pack in it, opening it up allowing players a route through this way may be a good solution. However I would like to playtest this map before making any changes

Sep 7, 2012
The map looks great! I have a few more problems/suggestions though. (You probably hate my guts by now)

#1.
pl_goldthorpe_a30000.jpg

First, this corridor is a great addition to the map, i think it will really help the map flow better rather than making it a spam fest through the open yard. However, it forces players to be within a very small straight corridor, which will make it a difficult route to push through (from either side) if a demoman fills it with spam or if a sniper stands at one end. I'd suggest the following change, which should give BLU a better area to flank from, and RED another area to set up an unexpected defense:
pl_goldthorpe_a30003.jpg

#2.
pl_goldthorpe_a30001.jpg

This room gives red a great place to set up a defensive position but the room is too large and in too advantageous a position to only have one real entrance (you can sticky jump through the windows but it's difficult, and you can only rocket jump to them if you can c-tap, which is always a gamble for players with high ping to say nothing of the skill required to make it possible). I would suggest another entrance into the back of the room, like a staircase climbing up here:
pl_goldthorpe_a30002.jpg

Great work so far, and happy mapping!

EDIT: Also, climbing on the roof is a little unfair as well.

Last edited:

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
The map looks great! I have a few more problems/suggestions though. (You probably hate my guts by now)

Thanks for the feedback man, I really appreciate your input (I don't hate your guts, I love the feedback :p) I will certainly add your suggest for the alternative route to/from the RED spawn and as for the high ground opposite I could afford to drop the height a bit and open the windows a bit more or even give it a balcony to help soldiers get up and as for the roof I can clip it as well as increasing the building height making it impossible to jump on

Thanks again

Tupperwits

L2: Junior Member
Sep 24, 2012
I had a little mess around on here and something very odd kept happening. Whenever I put a red teleporter down the exit immediately destroyed itself when I tried to use it but blue side is fine. It was incredibly confusing, I hope it's not on purpose.
Other than that I look forward to a4

Last edited:

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
This certainly isn't something I want in the map nor is it something I have purposely added, I'll have a look into that. Thank you for brining it to my attention

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updated to a4

this change addresses balancing issues by changing some sightlines, adding a new route and adjusting existing ones. See changelog for full details.

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updated to a5

It has been quite some time since I have opened up hammer what with my University work and other life stuff. This updates mainly focuses on Blu spawn. See changelog for full details

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updated to a5a

Just a few changes in this small update, The Blu spawn has been made more attractive and the small building by the first cap has been changed to give the Blu team an advantage

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
MAP HAS BEEN UPDATED TO B1, WE HIT BETA SUCKERS!!

Huge update this time around with a massive artpass, layout changes, fixes and clips. for a full detailed list check the changelog

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updated to b2_2

Red spawn changed, clipping and optimization addressed. see changelog for more detail. Please leave feedback!

JBEZORG

Jun 12, 2011
I test the map since the alpha 4. i like small payload maps.
I look forward to when your map is final.
then it is permanently in my server Maprotation.
good work !!!

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I tested this map at the Europe server, it was really fun! (or at least I think it was your map) Anyway, I had a lot of fun, you did a good job! I did notice that it was a little hard for the defending team to do much. We did have the 1 round where the sentry obliterated everyone, but other than that, there wasn't much RED could do.