Really bad lighting

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Apr 14, 2013
These are the result of my latest compile:

2014-02-03_00010_zps76885dde.jpg

2014-02-03_00014_zpsf2feb16a.jpg

2014-02-03_00001_zps72369291.jpg

I have no idea,
I have all light_enviroment properties copied from valve dev community, I tried different light settings of different maps for the light_envieroment, but it didn't help.
Models seem to be lit properly.
Interlopers' error tool didn't locate anything.
There are no leaks.
There are no 3d sky (as far as I know)
It never happened to me before.

Please help!

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
This happened to me once, my problem was a prop partly inside a brush

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Move your entire map so that the origin (0,0,0) is not inside a solid brush. That usually fixes this bug.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
edit: Before trying what I wrote here, try doing what Aly wrote above.

This happened on my map during the 72 hour contest, so I think I know a sort-of-fix. Use cordon tools to start cutting up your map and only compiling sections, look at the vrad portion of the compile (right before the stats at the end) and look if the lighting rgb values are all the same, if they are then you still have the error face inside the cordon boundaries, if you don't then you know the error brush is outside the cordon boundaries (readjust as needed). Keep adjusting until you've found the exact part of your map that holds the error and then try remaking that section of whatever. I don't know if this is a fix cause in my case I just isolated the brush (compiled just itself on its own), compiled without an error, turned off cordon tools, compiled without an error..?!!?! I have no idea what causes it, nor what I exactly did to fix it, but that fixed it. :|

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2013
Aly: no, there's no brush in 0 0 0. I moved all the brushes near it away anyway just to be sure, but it didn't help

So I deleted point B area to check if the problem was there, and it fixed it (well only technically, because all my light_environment and stuff was there and I deleted it accidently too, but the light_spots and other light entities function properly). I don't really care about deleting B because I wanted to re-make it anyways. Thanks everyone!

EDIT: yes, it's completely fine now, except for the part there's no 2nd point...

Last edited:

mint onion

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2013
glad you found a fix. just wanted to add, this happened to a friend's map and apparently, in his skybox, a prop's bounding box was overlapping the skycam and adjusting it so it wasn't, fixed the problem. /shrug

Apr 14, 2013
My problem was the fault of any brush-made staircases set around B area in my map (cp_bridges), that I suppose they broke vrad somehow, causing him to do 100 "bounces" instead of the normal 20. Or maybe that was the result of some other thing that the staircases did. The poor detailer of the 2nd part of the contest (probably me) will have to either find a fix, use the default stair models, stick with the current ramps, or make lots of new stair models.

Bombcartography

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2013
I think this may possibly be a recent glitch in VRAD itself. Last week I had the exact same problem on a CSGO map. I deleted something random and it fixed the problem. I assumed the texture on that displacement or the displacement itself was causing the problem. I may go back in and test to see.

takabuschik said:
I forgot to mention it, but the sky itself (not the tools_skybox, but sky_hydro01) is messed up, and you can clearly see the connections between the left side to front side, front to right side etc.

I've noticed this on my maps too but also in game on Valve maps. On Badwater that you can see the skybox side connections. I was thinking it was something I just hadn't noticed before.

I'm starting to think everything is all messed after recent updates. After the latest updates, when I test a TF2 map (mine or Valve's) on a listen server, the game timers don't show up and I can't access anything but the default class load out.

Last edited: