KotH likeable

ManBeaR

L2: Junior Member
Apr 20, 2014
After a day of fixing leaks, here it is, my first TF2 map to ever be released: koth_likeable! (aka I suck at making map names) Now tell me what you think about it. All feedback is velcome.

Last edited:

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Now I'm no expert, but based upon the size of those barrels and health kit I'd say this map was way to large. Now I'd need to test it in a gameday to know for certain, but if I were to guess I'd say your corridors need to be about 50% of the size and the main arena maybe 33% smaller.

Having said that, congratulations on getting a map to a1!

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
Now I'm no expert, but based upon the size of those barrels and health kit I'd say this map was way to large. Now I'd need to test it in a gameday to know for certain, but if I were to guess I'd say your corridors need to be about 50% of the size and the main arena maybe 33% smaller.

Having said that, congratulations on getting a map to a1!

Thanks for the adivce, I will certenly be looking into that once I have time.

V

Valkyrie

I will say its a lot better than my first map, one thing to look at is adding more gameplay with geometry instead of props :) and as Rubbishy said, congrats on getting it out there

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
I will say its a lot better than my first map, one thing to look at is adding more gameplay with geometry instead of props :) and as Rubbishy said, congrats on getting it out there

Thanks, but what exactely do you mean by that?

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
Usually people get so caught up in making or perfecting their ideas that they never actually release anything --- they spend all their time making something, but then forget it or get bored after awhile

Other part: Geometry refers to brushes. Your map is mostly flat, and empty. The circular barriers around the point add to the gameplay. You need more brushes and geometry around your map to add to the gameplay. You could have height variations between the point and the connecting rooms, with ramps or stairs. You need something to break sight-lines and provide your players with cover, while making your map more interesting and fun.

Last edited:

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
Usually people get so caught up in making or perfecting their ideas that they never actually release anything --- they spend all their time making something, but then forget it or get bored after awhile

I meant the geometry part.

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
I have signed up for the gamefay, and I have a smaller version ready to go. Shoud I edit to that one (a2) or wait to after the gameday? (If my map gets played)

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
So, it got played on the gameday, and a lot of the critisism comes from that the map is too big (which I am gonna fix in a2, and that I use too many props instead of world gemetry. Can smebody please explain what is so bad about the latter one?

Last edited:

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
A2 is out, now with colours! The changes are too be found in the changelog, still working on adding some intresting geometry and all that cool stuff.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
So, it got played on the gameday, and a lot of the critisism comes from that the map is too big (which I am gonna fix in a2, and that I use too many props instead of world gemetry. Can smebody please explain what is so bad about the latter one?

Props don't make height advantage, they don't make interesting cover, they don't make fully usable cover.

Take out all the props of most official maps and 90% of areas will play well (note: some props like rocks, fences and occasionally cargo crates are acceptable for gameplay changing stuff here and there)

V

Valkyrie

To explain whats wrong with using props for gameplay, basically props are mainly meant to be used as detail, not to add all the player world interaction the map has, you need building and doors, height advantages and disadvantages, bridges, stairs all made from the actually blocks you make in hammer.

ManBeaR

Apr 20, 2014
A3 is now out, probably gonna get that playtested before I begin to work on A4. The changes are to be fund in the changelog.