KotH Waterworks

Lenny

L2: Junior Member
May 2, 2013
I did take people's advice and start out with dev textures, but they were obviousl ugly and I just added real textures.

The point of not adding "real" textures in early alpha/beta is because you're probably going to be making a lot of layout changes, and as such, if you detail the map, you'll lose a lot of time and effort.

There's no shame in having your map full of entirely gray, red, blue and orange blocks if it plays well. Then, you should start detailing.

Of course, this is coming from me, who details a map before even deciding what game mode I want it to be.

Sep 19, 2010
The point of not adding "real" textures in early alpha/beta is because you're probably going to be making a lot of layout changes, and as such, if you detail the map, you'll lose a lot of time and effort.
Honestly, it's not the textures that matter. It's the detail brushwork (trims, stairs, etc.) that are a pain to resize. In my opinion, it's nice to add a few textures starting out once you know the direction you'd like to take the map.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
Honestly, it's not the textures that matter. It's the detail brushwork (trims, stairs, etc.) that are a pain to resize. In my opinion, it's nice to add a few textures starting out once you know the direction you'd like to take the map.

Imo "real" textures on flat, undetailed surfaces look worse than dev textures, but anyone is free to do whatever they want with their own map.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The thing is, dev textures look like a cross between graph paper and Tyvek sheeting, which gives your map exactly the same feeling that implies — somewhere between an incompletely rendered virtual environment and an unfinished house. When you make an alpha map out of normal textures, it tends to feel like just a poorly-detailed map. To me at least.

If you're talking about the awful thing that happens to dev textures when the Steam Overlay is on... yeah, we need to get someone who has a direct line to Valve to bug them about that until they fix it. Especially since I've started to suspect that it's caused by rendering the entire game at 200% resolution and then downscaling... which is bad for framerates among other things.

Sep 19, 2010
Imo "real" textures on flat, undetailed surfaces look worse than dev textures, but anyone is free to do whatever they want with their own map.
I agree 100%. I was just trying to say it's the more complex brushwork that makes maps a pain to change, not the textures.