[WIP] CP_Avanti_District

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Thanks. I have wanted to reduce the spawn area but for the most part, avanti's original spawn was just as large and the effect it gave was a bit more of a delay in getting to the first cp as one could just turn the corner and demo jump right onto the cp. I'll see what i can do. That means moving a lot of things around; mainly the spawn.

True, but in TFC:
1) Classes moved faster
2) There were guns that protected the spawn
3) It was a moving flag that captured the point instantly, rather than a cp which you must stand on for a large amount of time

What I would do to get a feel for the appropriate distance is play a heavy on dustbowl. Count how long it takes you to get to the first point, from where you spawn, in rounds 1 and 2. Keeping the spawn on the far right of the area, as you have it, but just 256-512 units closer to the gate, might be just about right.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
This map was kind of a pain on gameday, it wasn't really clear where to go, I spent forever running around as a spy trying to find the first point and kept ending up in the same place (not at the point!).

It looks good, but doesn't play too well. Lots of thin corridors and cramped spaces. I think pretty much everything I wanted to say has already been covered by others.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I really don't get why a select few couldn't navigate the map. It's exactly the same layout as the original bar "access to" and "the right hand side of" the 4th cp, but it still had arrows around nearly every corner.

You exit the spawn gate and there's an arrow that points left, turn left and there's an arrow pointing down at some stairs below it, go up the stairs and there's cp1. I really don't see the problem here..

The last part was somewhat cramped and "corridory" though, and i am addressing it. It is very "mazey" and maybe i should stick more to the original layout after all.

I'm not trying to get all defencive here, i understand why you got frustrated Nineaxis, but every other map i played that wasn't a box or payload (follow the track) i also got lost in. Of course you're gonna get a little lost, i couldn't even make my way out of one of the ctf maps, the only way to get out was jump over a fence on the battlements and lose half my health. I had to play cp_steel 5 times before i knew where to go and i still only know where points A, B and E are off hand after playing it a good 20 times. That said, i'll continue to make the paths more linear with as few distractions as possible.

The last thing someone should say after playing a map once is "i didn't know where to go" as a significant piece of critique, as it bares little to stand on as an arguement. Several people upon entering the game said just this "Gah, where do i go?" only then to laugh down the mic and say "oh, there's an arrow here, ah! There's the cp..".

[edit]I'm not sure what it was but one team seemed to have no problem putting up defences and holding the map, or taking it either. Whilst the other struggled in the chaos of pyro's and ambushing soldiers that they just paniced and ran around in circles trying to stay alive. Atleast, this is the only reason i can see for why anyone was missing fairly obvious directions.[/edit]

I'm sorry it was a pain for you.

Hopefully you'll find Beta 3 to be more comfortable.

Last edited: