bob needs displacement help!

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
I think I may be doing displacements wrong... whenever I displace multiple brushes the grids don't match up and I can't fix it with sewing nor manually. The result is both obvious and ugly in-game. I could really use some help.

Image 1
spic1vw4.png

Image 1 close-up
spic2ja2.png

Image 2
spic3bm8.png

Thanks
bob

Last edited:

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
To sew displacements, they need to either match fully on the side, or be exactly half. I'll dig around on the wiki, see if I can find the pictures there.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, you just have to resize everything and make a bunch of different faces. So they both cover the area and align with eachother.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Just get the clipping tool and clip them in half untill they match sometimes you have to have a really small one or a stretched one to make everything fit.

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
youme, clip and sew worked like a charm :)

This one is completely fixed and looks perfect in-game
best2bx3.png
[/URL]

but I'm still having trouble with this one
bad1cj1.png

best1kd0.png

I'm thinking it has something to do with being a full block displacement instead of a surface displacement.. guess I'll redo it with surface displacements only. trial and error is a bitch

DasMatze

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2008
Delete all the faces you can't see like ones on the side of a displacement. Select it while the displacement window is open and click on destroy.

DasMatze

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Nice, you've still got a missalign against the wall, an inch from the bottle....

But you've got the concept of displacements now. The possibilities are endless

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
How right Youme is...

Displacements are a gift and a burden, I have a massive cliff and loads of tunnles in the map I am making. Displacements make it easy to get the shape that I want but because I am such a perfectionist I have done each of the 10,000+ nodes individually. Taken ages, but when it is finished it will probaly (I hope) hold up to even Youme's critical displacment eyes.

I guess what I am trying to say is, you need to play with it but don't go over the top. Valve maps have displacement errors that you have probably never noticed so a small fault here or there wont get noticed. If you do spend ages on them just remember they will probably not be noticed and only do them to your level of satisfaction not anybody else's after all it's your map.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Valve maps have displacement errors that you have probably never noticed so a small fault here or there wont get noticed.

Its true, hydro has some terrible gaps but none of them are particularly easy to spot
and goldrush, since they updated it the otherday has got a bit of ground displacement missalign at red spawn round 1