ARENA Creekwood

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
arena_creekwood_a4

So, I've been working on a few other maps recently, but I decided to do an arena map instead of cp or ctf or whatever. I figured it would be easier. I thought this looked nice :)

Video of the alpha 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg4QqLN5KRM&feature=youtu.be

BTW: when a new update is released, I'd like your thoughts on it. Were the changes made for better or worse?

Last edited:

Turm

L1: Registered
Aug 11, 2014
Loaded it up...but it doesn't actually work.

EDIT: It has a weird lag thing. I can't move around, the the picture lags when you move the mouse around, causing tiling of images.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Loaded it up...but it doesn't actually work.

EDIT: It has a weird lag thing. I can't move around, the the picture lags when you move the mouse around, causing tiling of images.

Press space a couple times ;) you'll be able to move out of the location and see the skybox. There is a weird bug where if you're underwater and in a solid, then the image tiles.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Map looks like sniper heaven. Both spawns look directly into each other from across a chasm.

" NOTE: These pictures are outdated. I have since added a wall. "
That wall is in front of spawn. In the version that was not released to the public, I spawned in bots that were able to shoot each other in spawn. So, yes, it's a good map for snipers. But not as good as the pictures may lead you to believe.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
alpha 3 released!
Lots of changes this update!
-added a roof and some cover to that large bridge to nerf snipers
-added a wider range of cover to, again, nerf snipers
-added a room inside of the cliff with health and ammo
-added a staircase down to the room inside of the cliff from the spawn
-fixed spectator cam
-changed the pairs of health and ammo to be in the middle, and deleted the other pair

Last edited:

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
I'll be the cruel honest man and say that this is never going to play decently. Try comparing it to other maps, and you'll see that it looks nothing like anything a serious server would play.

Although maybe you had other things in mind with it? Idk. It'd be a lot easier to give feedback if everybody stated their design goals.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I'll be the cruel honest man and say that this is never going to play decently. Try comparing it to other maps, and you'll see that it looks nothing like anything a serious server would play.

Although maybe you had other things in mind with it? Idk. It'd be a lot easier to give feedback if everybody stated their design goals.

I actually did intend for it to be rather open in the end, sort of like harvest when it was still just a custom arena map. I'll make some more enclosed areas and some spots to hide. I think it'll turn out OK once it's done.

As of now, it's a map that's so bad, it's good. A very noncompetitive style of fun, but not so stupid that it's like the mario kart maps.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
OKAY, I think it's time I tell the tale of how this map is gonna progress from now on. Since it's rather obvious the map needs some major layout changes, I'm going to progress the map with an unreleased test-play map called test-tube. The version will be labeled with tt instead of a4 or anything like that. Essentially, I currently have a cheap koth port of the map for me to test the flow with some bots. This version I'll plug in a bunch of random experiments into the map to see what works for the layout. Some things I was thinking about doing was roofing the control point, and adding some shacks off to the side. I hope this idea will lead to what's best for the map.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
alpha 4 released!
-roofed the control point bridge and added walls
-rose the ceiling of the large bridge so players can jump out easier
-added cover to the large ramp
straightened the creek to allow better balanced trees