-removed an unnessecary doorway

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
koth_outskirts_b1 released!!
(finally in beta lol)

b1:
-made one of the main rooms larger
-started texturing (the second beta will have more)
-added barriers to the paths outside of spawn

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
Thanks for the great feedback. I'm not sure how to deal with the map's spawn camping problem though. Hopefully I'll figure something out soon. Thank you all again.

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Well, that's pretty much what I meant when I said the map lacked a "Buffer Zone." Basically I would add an area between the spawn and point, or at least lengthen the connectors between them, so that the team that owns the point has somewhere to push into(that's not their enemy's spawn.)

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
koth outskirts b2 released!

b2:
-changed the orientation of spawn
-removed most of the dev textures
-added alot more cover to spawn

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
koth_outskirts_b3 released!

-Mid has been completely reworked. (see screenshot)
-replaced a bunch of textures that were visible from the outside of the map. This fix will fix some
of my low framerate issues the map had... I believe.
-replaced the glass textures on the map with a better one

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
So I took a look at the feedback and the demo. I will be making changes to my map accordingly. I'm still struggling with the map layout in general so I'll be moving my map back into alpha.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Hey Aman, quick feedback:

#1: Please fix the weird rotation of your map's info_observer_point(s):

6iTpegw.png

^ Your cams are rotated on this weird skew so when we look through them in-game the whole camera gets tilted sideways slightly - it's very annoying when trying to take screenshots.

IvL87EY.png

^ You can fix this by simply making the 'roll' = 0 on all info_observer_point(s).

#2: I thought B2 of outskirts was more enjoyable than B3.

I think in B2 there were a few small issues that snowballed into large troubles for players, but players, in the short time they had, weren't able to distinguish what specifically was the problem.

I think the few small issues in B2 were that: it didn't feel satisfying to push (from the control point after you've taken it) through the connectors of the map because you couldn't survive a round trip through to another one, or if you could, that it didn't feel like you accomplished enough; that snipers in the windows looking over the control point routes were too powerful; that the bottom of the map, under the control point, felt improper.

Pushing through this left connector didn't feel great because while you may be able to clear it out, you aren't given any valuable flank to other spots of the map:
Rjiw4Ts.jpg

While you do get that low route on the left which leads back to the bottom of mid, pushing through that route doesn't yield any great result you couldn't have achieved had you not come back the way you came - it doesn't feel like a good decision to push through, and besides, no one really stands in there anyway.

I think if this left connector had a route that led upwards into the center connector (the sniper windows/balconies) then it would feel much more satisfying to push through, since you could accomplish something - taking out the snipers (which people said were too powerful on the map):
gpb8rWd.jpg

The center connector itself felt too scary to attack and cramped in general by the way (so close to enemy spawns), would really recommend increasing the length of the room outwards towards the spawn section - literally push all spawn geometry back as you extend the length of this building:
CNKsIRm.jpg

CqgiTz2.jpg

Talking now about the powerful snipers; sniper sitting on these balconies can see all routes leading to and exiting the point. As someone going to or leaving the point you feel like you're under heavy fire, like you really can't stand to leave without someone dealing with the sniper up there:
lU0qMkw.jpg

This problem may go away if the better left connector was able to beat back the center connector (the snipers) however I would recommend adding some sort of small cover on the ramp here:
nQgKXTZ.jpg

To be honest I'm not sure if it's necessary, or if it's the best way to solve the problem, but it's the easiest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The bottom of the map simply feels boring. I don't like going down here even though there is full health and ammo. It feels dangerous and just idk, not good.

It might be cool to block off each side of the lower route so it's just the middle which funnels the action between. This may proved to be too small of an area for a 24 slot server. This suggestion is definitely open to interpretation:
YzsG63M.jpg

--

Looking at B3 of the map, I would recommend similar fixes to what already exists in B2:

In the left connector you have a tunnel going down to the low route of the map, which now becomes the only good way to bypass the point section from sick defense, but the low route is really long and feels disconnected from the action:
O4CGN9E.jpg

IhdmEPM.jpg

I would, in this case, instead have a route in this general area - a very quick ramp which leaves the low route and moves players up to the point section. It would be similar to koth_coalplant's mid low route which is just a quick bypass of heavies on the point section:
PGHwbuT.jpg

So,

Pn5J63l.jpg

3NNGmB0.jpg

But, B2 already essentially has this route anyway. :[
xi6D5Qb.jpg

People generally felt anyway, and we wrote this in the feedback, that the bridge in B2 felt more iconic and interesting that the B3 point layout. Just that the B3 layout felt better for countering the snipers since they weren't so powerful anymore.

Still though, I would recommend the above mentioned changes to either B2 or B3, whichever you choose to keep going with (I'm on B2's side).

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
Oh wow, thanks for such a detailed feedback post! I will definitely work on the requested changes.

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
I think people are confused by my texturing theme. The map it half city half factory since said factory is on the outskirts of the city. However I do need to fix some texture scaling but as you said, this is an alpha. :)