ARENA illuminati

cat

L1: Registered
Nov 17, 2014
arena_illuminati/ares_illuminati is an arena respawn map, but it works default with arena. This map is in very early testing and I need YOUR feedback to help me make the map better. Please have no hesitation to tell me what you like or dislike, or even insult the map.

#firstmap

-cat

Last edited:

cat

Nov 17, 2014
I do agree with you in some cases, such as where there is just empty space, but in other areas where there are props (such as where the health pack is) if I were to make the map smaller there, It would look like a rat map. I will work on making places with empty space smaller, but some areas have to stay the same. Thanks for replying

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
I personally don't think that it is too big, but the use of the area makes it feel empty, in additon to the sight lines.

If you want to make a linear map, like you did here, I recommend you study the architecture of koth_viaduct. In order to make the map interesting, the map has a slight curve of places where the cannot be OP sightlines. There is also great height variation through displacements, which I think you should incorporate here. My map koth_grange incorporates this to an extent. These sort of maps usually have a long rectangular shape.

If you want to make a compact DM-style map, like koth_harvest, the map has the "loop around itself." By that I mean think of it like an arena map, which was koth_harvest's original gamemode. In order to protect spawn and add to the map, there is an obstacle in the way in order to structure the map. Ex. The barn building right in front of spawn on koth_harvest. These sort of maps usually have a square shape.

I highly recommend you redesign your map in future versions with these map structures in mind. If you want to look at decompiled versions of these maps click here.

Impressive for a first map, this has potential.

bobotype

Sep 24, 2014
I'm no expert but from what I hear people aren't a big fan of the Egypt style because everything looks quite the same and it becomes difficult to tell where you are.

Custom props or custom coloured wall textures would help with this.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
XamkrZT.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Also, I think the Egypt theme works best in Arena mode because colour-coding each area of the map isn't essential since the whole map is kind of neutral, unlike most other gamemodes.

Last edited: