Invasion

PL Invasion a4

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
PL_Invasion - The second map ever made by me, Donut the Vikingchap; the creator of CTF_Infiltration, Gravelpit in a nutshell and a bunch of other crappy stuff, I guess.

Description:

Originally made for the "Mercs vs Aliens" contest, this is a single-stage standard payload map inspired by the slow pacing of A/D maps like Dustbowl but with a more open layout (especially at the last point). I was originally going to make it a 3-stage map, but only managed to finish the first stage for the contest. It's still in very early alpha, I might add more stages in the future. The name may or may not be temporary since I'm going to be dropping the whole "alien" theme (Though the mothership is still in until further notice, since the finale explosion is pretty fun).

Alpha 3 was the version submitted to the contest.

TODO (Glaring issues):

- Re-do all the shitty stretched displacements so I can enable decals on them again (this probably won't happen until beta since it has no effect on gameplay)

Custom content:

Mothership model from the MvA Prop pack

Mothership explosion particle by FissionMetroid

Special thanks to:

ABS for the pre-made gamemode

The MvA contest voters for providing useful feedback

Everyone else who has helped playtesting and giving feedback!

Last edited:

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Second map ever made by you?

I'm very, very impressed. Looking very nice from the pictures! Also, you might want to disable shadows on all the rails, gets rid of that dark blur under it.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
You made "gravelpit in a nutshell"? That is actually a favorite among me and my friends. We used to play on cp_gravelpit all the time and that video captures all the nonsense that happens there so well.

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
Second map ever made by you?

I'm very, very impressed. Looking very nice from the pictures! Also, you might want to disable shadows on all the rails, gets rid of that dark blur under it.

Thanks! I was thinking I might as well not disable the shadows on the rails since they'll be gone when I compile with -staticproppolys anyway, but I guess I might as well do it now so it stops bothering people.

You made "gravelpit in a nutshell"? That is actually a favorite among me and my friends. We used to play on cp_gravelpit all the time and that video captures all the nonsense that happens there so well.

Cool. Yes, I used to be really into making Gmod videos, but I haven't really made any for a while since mapping took over. :p

Speaking of what you made, what happened to infiltration? That map was awesome!

Beta 13 is still being made, but production kinda halted on it due to working on this map for the contest, school, and Christmas/New Year. I think I'll just alternate between working on this and that map now until one of them hits RC (probably infiltration). And speaking of my Gmod videos, I was actually thinking of maybe doing a new "in a nutshell" video on Infiltration when it's done as some kind of promotional video. :)

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
This map is so much fun. It was a last testing last when the sightlines were so long that they weren't even viable sniping positions.