Theory

CP Theory a18

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's my theory on what good 3cp attack/defense should be. RED team has a shortcut to A until BLU caps it. BLU gets a forward spawn after capping A and B. It's useful to have engineers. I don't think you can avoid it in this game mode.

Thanks
Iikka
Ravage
phi

A lot of the files for this are freely available.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
here's some screens
2015-06-13_00001.jpg

2015-06-13_00002.jpg

2015-06-13_00003.jpg

2015-06-13_00004.jpg

2015-06-13_00005.jpg

2015-06-13_00006.jpg

2015-06-13_00007.jpg

2015-06-13_00009.jpg

2015-06-13_00010.jpg

thrust_a10_overview.jpg

there are some areas i am not happy about, but i want to see how gameplay with humans goes before i adjust them, though i do have a fairly good idea of what i'd like to do

i still need to adjust C to make the red spawns a bit better, next version maybe

bridge at A will change, probably?

long areas are because i thought it was smart to design around the idea of having roads, those are what i'm most worried about

could use feedback on cap times, time added, walk times, pickup placement, whatever else

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
You had me at the thumbnail.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
^this^

The entrance to C looks EXTREMELY choke-ey. I reckon a couple of stickeys behind the trio of barrel stacks and the door just behind the could almost completely deny that area to any class without extra mobility options. An extra flank route here:
CdpKrN5.png
would probably be how i would do it, especially as attack/defence is basically a pub-only gamemode - the defenders should have enough people to cover the extra space. :)

stylistically; so far as it is as the moment, this looks really good.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I hear what you're saying, and I will adjust it if need be, but the entrance to C is super large and in game RED can't really hold it that well. Play it first.

This is the first version of Thrust, but a1-a7 of Fen (the previous name of this) had essentially the same connector, and that wasn't really an issue. But, since I'm concerned about walk times, I was already thinking about a route like you described.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
OK i've had a chance to look around in game, and i take back what i said about that entrance being too small, i think the high walls were throwing me off :)

I've made an album of things I noticed while exploring, some of these might not be issues or be intentional, but here you go: http://imgur.com/a/4TOFq

sorry if I seem overly critical, I'm only trying to help. :)

edit: I forgot to ask; what skybox are you using? it looks really nice.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks, although I did know about most of that. You should not be able to get on blue spawn but I will fix that later. For most of those, I'm either not worried about it or waiting for a few tests to know how to shape the map further. I appreciate it though! Also, you missed a few sightlines!

The sky is just sky_hydro_01 and the light_env/shadows/fog are all also stolen from Hydro.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
If anyone has feedback from today's imp that they want to tell me, feel free. You don't need to suggest any fixes, but if there was something you liked or didn't like I'd love to hear about it.

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
Got one chance to play this map as a defender on red. The distance from C to A was poor, that really means it either needs a shortcut or a forward spawn. I loved C a lot, because that's all I was mostly able to play as, while on red.

Last edited:

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
For this, this map holds a special place in my heart.

In all seriousness though, the only criticism I have for this map is that I seemed to spend a lot of my time trekking across the entire map all by myself. Some forward spawns wouldn't go amiss. Otherwise, loved it.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
download cp_thrust_a11

- redid sizeable chunk of B to reduce playable space and clean up vertical connections
- created shortcut from B area to A (red only, one way, closes after A is capped). combined with this and some reductions in gameplay size i made, red should have a much better time walking around the map. teleporters are still vital though and i won't be changing that very much
- made the fence on C that faces blue's entrance chain link
- put a box next to the bridge at A to encourage people to jump there (previously this was a less obvious trick jump but i never saw anyone use it)
- generally increased signage and tried to direct player flow better, but please let me know if it is still garbage

i didn't make an overview this time but the map is slightly smaller around B and otherwise the same

nCMPUeP.jpg

J0d9Xd9.jpg

lmTw7W1.jpg

3YCqSua.jpg

7pMG2gK.jpg

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
As some of you know, I have to change the name because I didn't realize there's another map named Thrust already, and it's also well into beta.

I'm thinking of cp_theory for no other reason than that's literally what it is, I guess. Capture points theory.

Or one of these?

axiom
heap
progress
gist

I don't know what I'm doing. Please send help.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Tyler was saying in the steam chat he had a originally planned a swamp / construction combo, which could still work well here. If anything I'd like to see construction used on this if only as an addition to a main theme.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
When this was cp_fen, the idea was swamp/construction over a Hydro base--a fen is a swamp/marsh/wetland. Now I'm thinking more just regular Hydro, twist of Ravine around A, and conpack additions to some areas. Like I'm definitely using the crane for one part later.

I definitely built every version with an industrial setting in mind. I don't think I could easily convert it to an urban/city map, unfortunately.

With a name like cp_theory I can kinda do anything I want I guess, so we'll see. Though I'd still like thoughts on that name, but I like it also.

I haven't ruled out a RED forward spawn either. But I want to keep trying to cut play space before I put one in, because I think there's still some areas where I can do that. The problem is how.