CP Explosive Exportation

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
Courier

RED Exports is militarizing their hangars and smuggling weapons which they plan to use against their enemy neighbor, BLU Imports. BLU must invade and conquer, capturing all servers, before RED can finish powering up their new weapons.

Currently in Alpha 1.

5 CP map in a 1, 2 3 4, 5 format.

Last edited:

Unh3lpful

May 6, 2015
I must say, that is not a title that rolls off the tongue very easily.

Nor does it fit on the preview screens. I wanted something to fit the story and be alliterative but it hasn't worked too well. I'll try to think of a better name.

As for the 3 image, that is last point. I plan on adding a back passage past the wall with the missiles on. The room is quite high, I just haven't taken the image from a very good spot.

---

I was thinking of better names and I got the following. Non are very good I must say, maybe I should just call it TEMPMAP1.

cp_smuggle
cp_smugglershaul
cp_freightfight
cp_shipment
cp_cargo
cp_airways (because of the hangars, a little tenuous)
I though about cp_hangar, but I know there is already a map with the same name.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Since you're wanting the name to fit you could just slap a temporary name on it using this (Credit to Freyja). I get some funny results, I'm gonna use stonebubbly for my next map till I think of a real name.

Are you new to hammer and / or map making in general? You've got some really great idea's for general brushwork and layout that I'll go over in a moment. Your map just has a lot of issues currently.

I took a gander through your map to see if I could lend any advice; ho boy. First thing I do when I load in is realize I'm a red dude in the blue dudes base and if I try to change class I die. Anyway I changed to teams from there, just note that this map gets more obviously unplayable as we go through. Don't get discouraged though I think you've done a decent job in some area's.

So from blue spawn I only have two exits, one of which (which I believe to be the main route?) is this little mouse hole of a door. For some reason right as you leave there's also a medium healthkit; that's a bit strange.

Right before capturing the first point I noticed something odd: Does this neutral point mean red can cap this point too?

Anyway after capturing the point I got suspicious about the map being fullbright. Then I turned a corner and OH LORDY. Put some light entities into the map, trust me on this one. If you need tutorials on that just ask.

I think I found an invalid brush causing a funky error right here. These pipes look out of place. Try to be careful about staying on the grid, this wall is roughly a unit off the ground. I probably shouldn't be able to get up here by simply jumping. Why is there an invisible wall here?

There's not enough time for blue to cap all the points they need to take the last one if you intended for the caps to not increase the timer. As of right now capping a point provides no time bonus, that probably isn't a good idea. I took all these screenshots as I saw them and within 6 minutes or so I was back in blue spawn as a red sniper defending. This issue is compounded by the fact that the map is really quite small; with all points being within only 500-600 hammer units from each other. That's a lot of points really close together.

Oh I also found this while I was a red dude in blue spawn, this no_entry reaspawnroom_visualizer is in a weird spot.

Anyway taking all of that in I wanted to end off by saying I love these two spots regardless of them being in cramped locations. This little perch above the light is genius and this little window as it bends up is neato.

Unh3lpful

May 6, 2015
Since you're wanting the name to fit you could just slap a temporary name on it using this (Credit to Freyja). I get some funny results, I'm gonna use stonebubbly for my next map till I think of a real...

Thanks a bunch, this is all really useful thanks. I'll work on fixing this stuff right away for the next version. I don't know why it would be in full bright either, there are light entities and a light_environment. It has worked for me in loads of other tests.

Edit: By the way did you encounter any skipping in the hud for the capture? I think it might be because I'm using multiple triggers for each point but I can't find out how to fix it.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Edit: By the way did you encounter any skipping in the hud for the capture? I think it might be because I'm using multiple triggers for each point but I can't find out how to fix it.

I did indeed, I'm not entirely sure what was causing that, it only happened on one of the points. If you iron it out then right on, if not then I'll see if I can help.

Unh3lpful

May 6, 2015
I opened up my map today and all point entities have disappeared?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
That can happen when a compile process is interrupted, like if it is force quit. Unless you accidentally turned off the point entity visgroups.

You will have to fish out a backup copy from C:\HammerAutosave.

Unh3lpful

May 6, 2015
That can happen when a compile process is interrupted, like if it is force quit. Unless you accidentally turned off the point entity visgroups.

Ok, thanks!

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015

When i was fairly new to mapping all my entities dissapered, probably due to an interupted compile. At that point I had no idea about autosaves, and i hadn't made a backup. Bear in mind I'd spent around 15-20 hours on the map at this point.

I deleted the VMF

I still have nightmares about it.
Don't make the same mistake I did.

Unh3lpful

May 6, 2015
When i was fairly new to mapping all my entities dissapered, probably due to an interupted compile. At that point I had no idea about autosaves, and i hadn't made a backup. Bear in mind I'd spent around 15-20 hours on the map at this point.

I deleted the VMF

I still have nightmares about it.
Don't make the same mistake I did.

I managed to get it back thankfully and I hadn't lost too much progress luckily. I'd hate for that to happen to me.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Quick tip on taking screenshots: switch to Spectator mode and use the command cl_drawhud 0. That way you'll have no viewmodels and no HUD in the pictures.

(Alternatively you can no-clip and use r_drawviewmodels 0 but be careful not to fall into whatever deathpits your map may have.)