Tornadoom

PL Tornadoom Stage 2 72 A3

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
The second, and final stage to Tornadoom. Very clearly a work in progress.

Tornado payload:
Instead of a timer, RED has a tornado on a separate payload bar. This charges up after setup begins at a slow rate when BLU is not pushing the bomb. When the BLU bomb reaches a checkpoint, the tornado moves back to it's last checkpoint.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
What is it with you and abnormal map names. First Mom, now Tornadoom.

I'm scared and exited at the same time.

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Why do people insist on spelling "excited" as "exited". It's almost as bad as defiantly.

I'm more annoyed by people saying "should of" instead of "should've / should have"

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
should of could of would of

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Bored and not at home so have a (slightly outdated) progress update.

f52a752b1b.jpg

Sadly can't get better angles not being home and all, but there's some platforms and stuff at the back, and the dev blocks are gonna be buildings as an FYI.

tornado when?

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
A2 - Aug 2nd 2015
- Changed left-most spawn exit for RED to bring out on to the side wall, with some new balcony on it
- Removed awkward dropdown at left RED spawn exit
- BLU spawn gates only open when BLU players are nearby (after setup)
- Added a tornado to the HUD to compensate for the RED cart not being able to display as a tornado (tyvm volvo)

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
A3, 72HR Version - Aug 3rd 2015
- Red spawn turned into a lobby area, new spawn in a room behind it
- After A is captured, a route out of BLU spawn allowing players to cut the first bend is opened (and spawns are directed there instead of the other way)
- Fixed being able to capture A, then rollback to make the tornado reset more than once
- Replaced vent area at the BLU spawn -> A area with an elevated area BLU can dropdown from to around the bend
- Adjusted voice lines

Very sad that the original HUD mod I had made for the map cannot happen during the 72Hr contest as Valve broke something about packing things from /tf/materials/hud/ (everything else is fine), so a screenoverlay next to it of a tornado (that is buggy, even though it's one single image?? nice, valve) will have to do. For reference, the original that the map was designed with in mind:
0a44ede6aa.jpg

I also have plans to expand on the tornado thing (or drop it, and just go with regular payload) so the tornado is an actual thing in the map that progresses through until it reaches the BLU base, and a couple alternative things to make it not just a plain timer replacement (such as mode hybrids).

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Perhaps i'm missing the point of the tornado somehow - it's different from a timer because it only counts up when the cart isn't being pushed?

That's cool, thats interesting. A tornado is a very wierd way to display it to players however. Does the tornado get larger? It doesn't look like it gets larger.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Perhaps i'm missing the point of the tornado somehow - it's different from a timer because it only counts up when the cart isn't being pushed?

That's cool, thats interesting. A tornado is a very wierd way to display it to players however. Does the tornado get larger? It doesn't look like it gets larger.

That was my original intentions, however I didn't get time to make custom particles for it. As the custom tornado mode seems to be a positive thing for the map, I'm going to keep on with that and do the following to Tornadoom after the 72hr's voting:
  • Combine the two stages into one (partially for logic simplicity, as the 1st stage is/was regular payload)
  • Make it more obvious when the tornado is/isn't moving, likely with screenoverlays
  • The tornado will be a proper in-level hazard, progressing from Red's last spawn to Blue's initial spawn to destroy something
  • Fix the hud issue where the tornado displays as the default red payload cart
Among a bunch of little layout changes.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
One thing i was thinking when i first saw it was that the tornado was chasing the cart - so players had to keep the cart ahead of it. Instead of a timer, when the tornado reached the cart the attackers lost.

I'm not too sure how that'd be possible, though. I suppose I could parent a path_track to the blue cart, and have an I/O trigger on every path_track it passes.

Would that actually work non-buggy though?

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I think it's more or less the same as the circlejerk idea, except the tornado moves automatically - just add a sensor to the cart that can detect the tornado (or an entity inside it), and have them run on the same tracks.

The problem is, I want it to look decent enough on the HUD. To ensure that, I was planning to have the tornado run a separate track and target something static like a building.

Oct 6, 2008
I'm on vacation - but will be able to give some more details on packing the HUD later - unfortunatley PL/PLR HUDS pull info in from 4-5 different files in order to work - not just a single file like other modes.