Displacement Help

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
I seem to have small gaps between displacements. I have seen this on other maps before and was just wondering how to get rid of it. In game it looks like a very narrow slit in the displacement thats is only "open" when viewed from a particular angle.

I know it is not a problem with sewing as if if move one of the displacements and hit the sew button, they both move together as if sewn but if I then look closely I can still see the slit from a certain angle. It is visible both in game and in hammer.

If anyone knows how to get rid of it, post here.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
Post a picture, but I don't think it's sewing properly. Make sure that they align, and are the same height, etc. Check Youme's tutorial .

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Read the second paragraph.

I know it is sewing. If i move one then hit sew, they both move together again. If they weren't sewing properly then they wouldn't sew at all. I'll post a screenie tomorrow if it's not sorted, going to bed now. It's 2am.

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
Side note: Don't worry that much. Even Valve have left a nice gap in Gravelpit at the beginning of the corridor from A to C, but you can only see it by rocketjumping and looking down.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Side Note: Valve left a nice gap in Blue's spawn on second set of cap points.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
And goldrush, red spawn round 1, right infront of the door, you can't posibly miss it.

If it is just the one pixel gap that appears after they are sewn properly I don't think there is much you can do about it, I have a feeling its a problem in the engine

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Youme that's the same spawn. :p

It is a problem in the engine, the guy making cp_egypt or whatever had problems with it, he'd see a thin line between them (in a dark room) and you would see light through it.

Could put tools/black behind it though.

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
this thread is very similar. you've already seen it and posted advice for me, but maybe it could help you somehow?

bob needs displacement help!

Slight difference, mine sews and yours didn't. Anyway it looks like I'll have to put some tools/black behind it so it doesn't show up. Thanks for the replies