***Unofficial Texturing Contest 02 Details***

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
qqrbbl8hpbc1kaxhzrz7.jpg

Download your files below.

Install: go to steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\ and place the materials and models folder there.

You will have to paint your texture on the .jpg in the root of the rar, than convert to .vtf and replace the oilpump_diffuse.vtf with your new one.

Good luck!

Any questions, ask away.

DOWNLOAD FILES:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=457

Also you better hit that thx button >:D

Last edited:

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
rainbowpump.jpg

Hereby i submit: RainbowPump!!!
Ok, for all those who have been searching wich part wich is, i've made a color scheme,
The collor scheme is the JPG you have to edit, It also contains a .vtf file, copy the vtf file to your Model folder where the model is located, choose to overwrite, Now you can compare the jpg with your model in hammer, so you know wich part of the jpg is located where!
You may now press the
thanks.jpg
button

elfworks

L1: Registered
Jul 2, 2008
Check, ... check, ... 1, 2, .... Is this thing on?!?

So, do I post images for feedback here, or do I start my own vanity thread? :)

Still trying to grok how to incorporate Specular and Bump maps into VMT files. Any help (links!) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Damn it I'm leaving for paris tomorrow morning and I've not had time to get my entry finished and I get back on the 13th...I may be a day or two late

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
So, do I post images for feedback here, or do I start my own vanity thread? :)

Still trying to grok how to incorporate Specular and Bump maps into VMT files. Any help (links!) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

wow amazing job. sticks with the tf2 theme amazingly well.

elfworks

Jul 2, 2008
Nice work elfworks!

You should post your pics in the other thread here:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=2687

And we also want to see your texture sheet (the diffuse one)

spec and bump is just another .vtf with:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Texture

Thanks for the kind words all! (And the links!)

Here's the flattened texture sheet in JPEG format.

e9e02c0e.jpg

The master image is a layered PhotoShop document. Using layers makes it really easy to tweak colors and adjust different grunge layers.

I started by rendering the occlusion map at 2Kx2K in LightWave. That gave me a good visual reference to start with, and it also lined up exactly with the colored GIF supplied by Lolz1337.

Starting from the bottom, I added layers of color for each different object. Then, I added the text as two separate layers. At this point, the model would appear unshaded, and look like it just came from the factory.

Next I set the occlusion layer to Multiply, so the base colors showed through, but were darkened by the occlusion map.

Then, I created a blank layer for the grunge. Again, setting it to Multiply allowed me to see the base image as I painted the dirt on top.

I then saved the image out in TGA format, and used the VTFEdit tool to convert the TGA into VTF format.

After looking at the model in TF2, I realized the colors were too dark, and the object was a little too dirty for TF2. I lightened and de-saturated the base colors, and reduced the opacity of the grunge channel.

Second time around, it looked much better.

The last detail I added was the grill on the back. That's just a simple line drawing on yet another layer.

My next task will be to create specular and normal maps for the object.

Thanks again!

elfworks

Jul 2, 2008
can we get a skybox version?

Que? :)

I've only been at this a few days, so I'm just getting familiar with the Hammer editor.

I've used the toolsskybox texture, but I'm not sure what you're asking for?

Do you want a map (VMF) file?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

elfworks

Jul 2, 2008
Pepper's asking for a separate model with a much lower texture resolution and at 1/16th scale; these can be rendered cheaply in the 3d skybox ad nauseum.

This would involve Sniper releasing a very-low LOD model at 1/16th scale and then making a very rough texture for its faces.

Ah, yes! Thanks!

I've seen the skybox on maps, but haven't built one yet.

I will defer to the honorable Snipergen for that request. :)

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
I will definaitely make one, but that will be for later (and that one will be animated)
For now, I want to bump this topic (4 days left) and tell elfworks that he did a really good job now I see the diffuse texture. The AO bake proves you're not new to this.

Don't forget to upload those pics in the other thread elfworks if you are finished :)

efciem

L69: Deviant Member
Mar 31, 2008
Uv mapping on this model seems to be iffy...

Some reason slight overpaints show up on various parts on a pixel by pixel amount..

so be cautious when editing to not overpaint the UV's on the seams

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I'll try and get my vers up, although I can already see I lost.
It was a challenge to tex someone elses model, that's something new to me.

But I'm really disqualified anyway as I didn't read the rules very closely and used a few TF2 tex in the base layers.

I'd love to see this one animated too Sniper, would be cool to have it pumping away in the BG. You probably don't need help with that but I'll offer in case you do.

elfworks

Jul 2, 2008
I will definaitely make one, but that will be for later (and that one will be animated)
For now, I want to bump this topic (4 days left) and tell elfworks that he did a really good job now I see the diffuse texture. The AO bake proves you're not new to this.

Don't forget to upload those pics in the other thread elfworks if you are finished :)

Thanks! I was happy with the way it came out. It was a fun first try.

And, you are correct. I have a bit of 3D experience - mostly boring legal & medical stuff. This is the first time I've worked on game assets in a while. (Think back to 256 color VGA graphics & 2D sprites... Multi-layered textures and HDR lighting are quite an improvement. :)

I really like the shader model used in TF2. I saw my girlfriend playing it a few months back, and it was the first game I'd seen in a long time that appealed to me. The rim lighting, the faded color palette, and the stylized models all work together to create a universe reminiscent of old Popular Science magazines from the 40's & 50's. (With an obvious tip of the hat to classic Warner bros cartoons, too! :) )

She was working on the Payload collaboration and mentioned this texturing contest. It seemed like a good excuse to finally learn some new skills, so I picked up a copy of the Orange Box, and here I am ...

Thanks for reminding me to post the pictures to the upload thread! I missed that the first time. I take it that I should only submit final images to that thread, or can I upload work in progress?

I'm just about done, but I got stuck trying to add the Specular map to the model. I finally got it applied, but still need to tweak it a bit...

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
is there a how-to when it comes to knowing how to edit, use these? id love to get in on all these contests, but lack the know-how.

elfworks

Jul 2, 2008
Damn it I'm leaving for paris tomorrow morning and I've not had time to get my entry finished and I get back on the 13th...I may be a day or two late

Between you and me, ... I'd say you got the best prize!

Have fun in Paris!

elfworks

Jul 2, 2008
is there a how-to when it comes to knowing how to edit, use these? id love to get in on all these contests, but lack the know-how.

I wish!!! :)

There are some great tutorials on this very site that have helped me a lot:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=838
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=2175&highlight=stairs

The SDK Wiki has good answers to specific questions:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

After that, Google is my friend... :)

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Great elfworks! Yeah this game has us hooked too I think. Damn you have a girlfriend that plays games? Where do you find those? ^^

Yep you final should be uploaded in the other thread (thought that was your final already, it looked good)

DJive, you just really need photoshop and paint over the lines. You can draw outside the lines here, it won't get rendered anyways.