[TUTORIAL] Workaround of func_rotating

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Simple and eloquent. Good thinking m8 :)

st-cig

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2008
correct me if i'm wrong but you can't collude with it using this? correct...?

Big Lou

L3: Member
Mar 17, 2008
I use a func_tracktrain with 4 path_tracks, each rotated 90 degrees. I put these at almost the same exact axis (cannot be same or map won't load) so that there is very little movement other than the rotation. This works great, but it may be easier to just use a physbox and motor... that is, if it will work in mid-air.

bobby1211

L2: Junior Member
Jun 28, 2008
This sounds interesting and something I may be able to use but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the setup... if someone could throw together a working testmap that would be great!

-Bobby

st-cig

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2008
how do you make it so you can collude with it? I have this rotating on a wall, but when I try and jump on it, or through it, i get stuck in it... whats the fix for this?

teddyruxpin

Sr. Hygiene Technician
Mar 24, 2008
I find it easier to use func_door_rotating and set the rotation amount to some insanely high number like 3600 or similar which will keep it rotating throughout the entire map or however much I want it to. Much easier to do then using func_tracktrain or similar and you can have pretty fine grain control with the speeds etc and walk on the object that is rotating.

See here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_door_rotating

I used the above method to make the platters on the inside of a hard disk I created spin whenever someone stepped on it with a trigger.

-Teddy