[Tutorial] Making a Poster Overlay

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Check the dll search path. tier0.dll is a common file all source executables use.

Verno

L2: Junior Member
Jul 17, 2010
I appear to have four tier0.dll in the username\sourcesdk folder at:

username\sourcesdk\bin\source2009
username\sourcesdk\bin\source2007
username\sourcesdk\bin\ep1
username\sourcesdk\

There are also a few others in various locations. Where does tier0.dll need to be in order for vtex.exe to work?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I feel like we as an Internet ought to have a hard-and-fast, universally agreed upon rule about image hosting. One that's taken as seriously as "Don't type entire posts in all-caps" and the like.

In the meantime, I'm totally cool with just deleting this thread since it is clearly worthless now.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
Tutorial images should be easily replaced with the only context being the tutorial text itself.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Nine removed them from his site, and iirc he said he won't be bothered to replace them.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Methinks we need to look into embedded image hosting for stuff like this. We already host 20-100MB maps; 50kB JPEGs ought to be a drop in the bucket.

BigBros

L3: Member
Aug 20, 2014
This has happened on tonnes of the older threads. Hardly any posts from 2008-2009 have working pictures.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
We need a new version with working picures.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I just use postimage.com for this kind of stuff. There's no image management or anything, but since there is no data cap, I find it more helpful than a site like imgur (except for albums of photos). If you're concerned that you may have to delete the image at a later time, every upload provides a deletion link you can keep.

Note: For those interested in using the site, keep two things in mind. 1. There are two ads on the homepage, but no true 'ad-spam' anywhere! 2. To post images to the forums, use the "Direct Link" address, not the "Link" address.

But yeah, if TF2Maps hosted images itself, I'd rather use that, as opposed to other services.

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
Dang, I was hoping to use this guide, but it looks like all the pictures are broken. Oh well, just kind of what happens to a 9 year old thread...

Also it's funny because the last post here is talking about tf2maps hosting images

bcf89787b054ba512c777abfad16fff4.jpg

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

... I don't understand why you used this meme?

Honestly, I'm fine with the bump, as this thread his helpful (even without the images), but I don't know how exactly that spongebob meme fits in.

Have I lost my meme magic? Am I just getting too old and/or out-of-touch?

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
All I meant is that TF2maps does host images now because it's the future...
But yeah, if TF2Maps hosted images itself, I'd rather use that, as opposed to other services.

Anyway, I did end up figuring it out. Most of the help I was looking for was on how to do the weathering effects.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
So after I created my TGA file, I followed all the steps to try and convert it, and I get this error:
Untitled.png

When I press a key, the window disappears, and I cannot find my converted VTF file anywhere. This is the file path I've been using for my TGA:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sourcesdk_content\tf\materialsrc\signs
It's slightly different from the one provided in the OP, is that a problem?

The file path where I've been looking for the converted VTF:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
So after I created my TGA file, I followed all the steps to try and convert it, and I get this error:
Untitled.png

When I press a key, the window disappears, and I cannot find my converted VTF file anywhere. This is the file path I've been using for my TGA:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sourcesdk_content\tf\materialsrc\signs
It's slightly different from the one provided in the OP, is that a problem?

The file path where I've been looking for the converted VTF:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials

You're better off using VTFEdit to convert the textures.