Contest idea thread!

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
PleasePleasePleasePlease make the next contest a 3 stage anything contest. Payload, CP, CTF, I dont care, but I love 3 stage CP, and there arent enough maps of it around. Would be great for a summer contest as well.

Or how about CP anything contest. Must have more than 4 CPs total, less than 10 (to accommodate TC). Single or multi-stage, you choose.

3-stage contest would have to have a TON of of time for us to make them and test them. Not saying it isn't possible but still.

Mar 23, 2010
shitmaps contest.
make the worst map you can.
must be playable (non fullbright, good fps, people can actually walk and shoot the other team)

probably some other specifics that are needed.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
I'd like to see another vs. contest, like the plr vs. assault ctf. However instead they should be more similar game-types to compare to, so while there can be a "regional" winner, they can also be compared together for a "Best-of-Show."

Something like 3 part CP or 3 part PL would work well for this methinks.

Feb 18, 2009
Why not have a sort of "TF2Maps awards" and, instead of designating specific contest criteria, the prize could go to the person who has made the best all-round map during the year. It could even develop into several awards, such as, best [each game mode], most beautiful, best collab, etc. Maybe even some joke awards like, most rushed, biggest let down, or most promised with little delivered. Ok, some of the joke awards aren't good, but I like the last one. Of course some rules would have to be outlined, like does it have to be completely developed during the year. Judging doesn't have to be too much trouble. Maps could be nominated by users, then the top 3/4 of each category (up to 8 for large categories, like best overall map) can move on to a judges vote or a public poll. I think that'd be kind of cool. Would certainly make a change to the regular contests.

ANova

L7: Fancy Member
Jul 16, 2009
how about a contest that we can making any gamemode and if we want to we can do collabs too

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Why not have a sort of "TF2Maps awards" and, instead of designating specific contest criteria, the prize could go to the person who has made the best all-round map during the year. It could even develop into several awards, such as, best [each game mode], most beautiful, best collab, etc. Maybe even some joke awards like, most rushed, biggest let down, or most promised with little delivered. Ok, some of the joke awards aren't good, but I like the last one. Of course some rules would have to be outlined, like does it have to be completely developed during the year. Judging doesn't have to be too much trouble. Maps could be nominated by users, then the top 3/4 of each category (up to 8 for large categories, like best overall map) can move on to a judges vote or a public poll. I think that'd be kind of cool. Would certainly make a change to the regular contests.

Sort-of like the Academy awards for TF2Maps or something? That might prove interesting...

McNuggetFiend

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
I would love for my server to sponsor some sort of mapping competition, like help with the bill on a prize or something. Especially if it was a Koth/Arena or Attack Defend CP mapping contest.

Mar 23, 2010
Domination (3+ point cp and defend, gain points every x seconds you hold a cp until a team reaches y points)

You mean like dom_complex and dom_canalzone ?

Timberjaw

L2: Junior Member
Nov 6, 2009
Has there already been a collab contest? Something that pairs more experienced mappers with less experienced (but promising) mappers could be interesting. You would cut down on the total # of entries as well, which would make judging easier.

McNuggetFiend

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
No custom gamemodes please. Valve won't support them, people dont know how to play them, people dont know how to design them. In short, no.

I can speak from experience from hosting my pub, it is hard enough to get players to play custom maps, make it so they don't understand the object from the get go and bam, a server that was full goes to the handful of regulars in just a couple minutes. It sucks, but its the truth.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
How about a competitive capture the flag contest?