Glass texture kicks off purple checkerboard... I have cubemaps...

Big Lou

L3: Member
Mar 17, 2008
Ok, I'm really confused. I have glass in my map, and I also have cubemaps, but for some reason it kicks off a purple checkerboard highlight. I don't understand what's causing this.

Could it be the sky I chose? The compile log has an error for my sky. I chose sky_tf2_04.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Do you have a cubemap tied to each surface of the glass (not any nodraw faces)? Did you actually build cubemaps? And no, its not a problem with the sky.

Big Lou

Mar 17, 2008
I just placed the cubemaps in the level. I've never had problems with this before. How do I tie them to the glass specifically? What do you mean by build?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
once you've compiled your map to get reflections properly working for a release you need to put these into the console:

mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 0
map <map_name>
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 2
mat_specular 1

However, if you have a lot of env_cubemap entities this will take a long time, for non-release versions its not usually worth it.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
To tie them to the glass, just open up the cubemap entity properties (Alt Enter), and go down to the brush faces, hit the eye dropper, and then click on your reflective faces).

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
To tie them to the glass, just open up the cubemap entity properties (Alt Enter), and go down to the brush faces, hit the eye dropper, and then click on your reflective faces).
You don't need to do that (unless you want something specific to happen), brush faces automatically tie to the closest cubemap. Water being the exception.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
once you've compiled your map to get reflections properly working for a release you need to put these into the console:

mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 0
map <map_name>
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 2
mat_specular 1

However, if you have a lot of env_cubemap entities this will take a long time, for non-release versions its not usually worth it.

This is how you buildcubemaps, get to know it intimately if you plan on releasing playable maps :)

Shadowfield

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2008
Originally Posted by Youme View Post

mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 0
map <map_name>
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 2
mat_specular 1

Do you type "disconnect" into the console, or do you actually disconnect from it. If you do all of this in-game, how does it save the changes you've made?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Do you type "disconnect" into the console, or do you actually disconnect from it. If you do all of this in-game, how does it save the changes you've made?

Doesn't matter they both do the same thing.
hl2.exe (tf2) writes the cubemaps into the .bsp when you run buildcubemaps.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
You will notice a slight increase in file size (of the .bsp) if it was done correctly.

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks Lou for making this map - I modeled one of mine after yours (my very first)

Big Lou

Mar 17, 2008
That's possibly the best compliment I've ever received for a map. Thank you.

Which map are you referring to?

pitto

Feb 17, 2009
I thought there was no reason 2 start another thread so:

I am trying 2 compile cubemaps by doing:
mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 0
map <map_name>
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_hdr_level 2
mat_specular 1

but it doesn't seem 2 be working for my map BUT, I constructed a simple test map, and the cubemaps are fine. (using textures such as glass/glasswindow001c and metal/metalchrome002, and targeted cubemaps similar to my map)

for compiling I am using all on normal, with hdr ticked, and the extra parameters:
-novid -staticproppolys -staticproplighting -textureshadows -both

also, after compile I am changing the map name from mapname to mapname_a2 (I don't think this has any effect as cubemaps seem 2 have worked 4 a1)

any help would be appreciated on ideas that could be going wrong (I have been fiddling around with this for quite awhile now)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Cubemaps are tied to the mapname, if you change the map name after building them they won't work.