[Tutorial] Fixing deaths and senteries in respawn - All maps need this

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The problem:
Ok so when you are in a resupply room you want to feel safe and be able to change class without suffering any sort of penalty, Afterall you've taken the time to come back to resupply to change class, the last thing you want it to be penalised further.
Yet to my sheer amazement I find that mappers are leaving their resupply rooms totally unfinished, after treking half the map to change to a more apropriate class I get to resupply and change only to have to wait 20 more seconds because I've 'suicided'
I've heard lots of complaints about maps with this problem, so here is the solution, that every single resupply in every single map needs

The solution:
Make a brush with the trigger texture that covers the whole of your resupply room. Make sure it doesn't go further than the door model you've used. Select this brush and tie it to a func_respawnroom entity and select the appropriate team.
Whilst inside this brush you cannot build anything as an Engineer and you can change class without having to wait the 20 seconds or whatever the respawn time is set to.
The cp_game_entities.vmf file that everyone should now have with the more recent SDK versions contains some spawn areas with this brush, but if you coppy those areas exactly you will end up with the func_respawnroom only covering about a meter back from the door, make sure you stretch it out to cover the whole room.

All done, now you won't get people whining about how they died in resupply.
=D

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
and make sure, if you make a func_nobuild, to close it near the func_respawnroom because if you dont close it good, they can build teles in 1unit spaces that are left :(

I 2nd that youme, I hate it too if I want to change class and you 'suicide'

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yep nobuilds work well just infront of the respawn which stop engies waiting right outside reupply (from either team)