Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
Is that like that huge bomb from LotR?
Look good!

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
LOL, water mine in a cart :p. I wanna see a big bomb, like the shape of a bob-omb from Mario instead.

I still think the coolest bomb for waste would be the one I posted a screen of previously though. Hopefully it gets made!

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
It ís ;)

Probably downloadable next week :)

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
The cat is OP!

Actually what you are saying here is opposite. You are gonna slow down the defenders but say that in 5 point CP's the defending team is sped up.

Last time I played and noticed the 'time stacking'. ie: cart goes across point + time, cart gets pushed back right away + time. Either diminish time or maybe have a timer so the time wont add again if the point is capped by other team within so many minutes.

understood.

On another note: after observing some full server games, it is now possible to win, but the stalemates are still very present.

I'm seriously thinking of implementing dynamic cart speeds:

Attackers will push the cart at 2.0x speed.
Defenders will push the cat at 1.5x speed. (Used in B2)

this way, if one team can successfully clear out the enemy, they should be able to make significant advances. This is similar to 5CP maps, where the Defending team's active CP's capture time is almost always twice as fast.

In addition, the max round time will be reduced to 6 minutes

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Last time I played and noticed the 'time stacking'. ie: cart goes across point + time, cart gets pushed back right away + time.

I don't see the problem. The map will cap it at 6 minutes.

Valve maps are done so that every capture always resets the timer back to 10 minutes.

I'm already being very stringent with the timer.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately, in order to make Waste Sudden Death-compatible, I must remove the stalemate explosion.

:(

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
Because the cart is destroyed?

Isn't it possible to freeze it's movement and hide the model? (kill the model and all tracks)

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
I don't see the problem. The map will cap it at 6 minutes.

Bro, will any number of people bringing it up make a difference? My serious problem with it is that when you're not having fun (getting rolled but the other team is only good enough to pin you at your spawn and not go all the way) and that horrible voice keeps saying time-added you get this mental feeling a dread that the round will never end....

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Then it's a problem with the layout. I am not going to look for a bandaid solution such as complex timer systems.

In the many hours I've spent hopping from server to server, I've found that most rounds barely exceeded the 6 minute mark. I feel that this is the perfect time to set the round time to.

Because the cart is destroyed?

Isn't it possible to freeze it's movement and hide the model? (kill the model and all tracks)

I could, but then it would be hidden in Sudden Death, too.

Last edited:

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Regarding non-wooden tracks, perhaps you could simply make them with square-section brushes using the track texture? Cheap and efficient, since you are following a fairly flat ground.

Also, regarding GrimGriz's problem, maybe you could decrease max round time by 30 seconds for each cap. That way, endless back-and-forth movements would be limited.

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Then it's a problem with the layout. I am not going to look for a bandaid solution such as complex timer systems.

There's not a layout problem. The problem is that you designed a map where the cart is intended to go back and forth over points, and you award time when that happens. Unlike a CP map, where a CP takes 'x' amount of time to cap, the cart can go back and forth over a point every 0.5 seconds on your map, so in a close fight between the 2 teams at a control point, the timer is constantly maxxed out.

In the many hours I've spent hopping from server to server, I've found that most rounds barely exceeded the 6 minute mark. I feel that this is the perfect time to set the round time to.

Again, not about round time. It's about the cart going back and forth over the same point multiple times in 10 seconds.

Also, regarding GrimGriz's problem, maybe you could decrease max round time by 30 seconds for each cap. That way, endless back-and-forth movements would be limited.

It's not my problem, as I don't really care...but many people have pointed this out to icarus and he "doesn't see the problem" - so I was just curious how many people would have to say something before he saw the problem :p

1. Sgt.Frag: Last time I played and noticed the 'time stacking'. ie: cart goes across point + time, cart gets pushed back right away + time.
  2. What Is Schwa: Often that point will go back and forth in quick intervals as players touch it which immediately maxes out the time.
  3. GrimGriz: The only thing that concerned me is that you could theoretically never run out of time since blue and red could push it back and forth over a point and keep the time maxed out.
  4. Rexy (indirectly): We're running B1 and haven't had any stalemating, but really long rounds, which is expected.
  5. MungoKing (indirectly): Now granted I did only play the map 3 times, but they were quite long rounds that always ended up at a stalemate

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I've done a quick-compile for gameday. It's not meant to be the next real iteration, but a test. Beta 3 will be released the day after gameday.

Download the test version

Winning teams push the cart 60% faster than the losing team. I want to see if this helps the stalemate problem without being too overpowering.

-Improved performance
-Widened up and added a window at the "U-turn" chokepoint
-Fixed compatibility issues with Sudden Death mode
-Teams that own more CPs than the enemy will be able to push the cart 60% faster
-Improved lighting in dark areas
-Fixed Color Correction not working
-Removed and shifted locations of pickups between the 2nd and last points
-Round time is now capped at 6 minutes
-Raised/Removed the "ceiling clips"
-Several bug fixes

Additionally, I've figured out a clever workaround to the Sudden Death explosion problem. It is not included here, but is fully functional for B3.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for the gameday.

Thank god it's a test version, the faster cart is ridiculously OP.

I have adjusted it for B3 as thus:
Attackers: 1.5x (was 2.0x for gameday)
Defenders: 1.0x (was 1.4x for gameday)

Waste B3 should be available in the next few days.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
pl_waste_b3 (Hot Tug-O-War Action!)
by Eric "Icarus" Wong
Download from FPSBanana
Download from TF2Maps

pl_waste_b3c.jpg

Beta 3 Release Notes:
-Improved performance
-Widened up and added a window at the "U-turn" chokepoint
-Fixed compatibility issues with Sudden Death mode
-Teams that own more CPs than the enemy will be able to push the cart faster
-Improved lighting in dark areas
-Fixed Color Correction not working
-Removed and shifted locations of pickups between the 2nd and last points
-Round time is now capped at 6 minutes
-Raised/Removed the "ceiling clips"
-Several bug fixes

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
A great change on your part, bc3's fast cart was interesting but ridiculous, this sounds like a happy medium. I really hope someone helps you out with a bidirectional cart- it's the only flaw in an otherwise nearly perfect map.

-Personally- I feel the water's still distractingly different, and that the door leading from the catwalks above CP2 to the main room (it's a vault door) seems a little thin for the attention it receives (ends up being kinda spammy) Could this be widened by a factor of 2 without sacrificing performance?

Keep up the great work!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Z33's been really helpful with the models, and I want to give him as much time as he needs to make the best cart he can. Additionally, he's working on tracks and checkpoint models to go with the new payload.

As for the vault door, It's not a performance issue. I left it very narrow because I didn't want too much movement through that passageway, otherwise it may give defenders a much too easy time taking out attacking sentries. (which are IMO, are already pretty easy to destroy)

btw, I fail at math.

I meant to have the defenders push the cart at 66% (attackers=100%), but I miscalculated it and the cart runs at 75% instead.

Hope that 10% wouldn't hurt gameplay too badly...

Last edited:

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
maybe try this: +.33 for each CP owned (with a base of .33 speed) makes this rule easier to explain/understand/remember. It does give the defenders an disadvantage, don't know whether thats positive or negative :/

Currently working on the details for the cart :)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Because TF2 doesn't exactly support this type, I get nasty graphical issues regarding the HUD.

People have complained about the arrow on the cart only showing up for when RED pushes it.

I have three options:
1. Nothing is shown when BLU pushes the cart, but an arrow is displayed when RED pushes it.
2. The number of cappers is shown when BLU pushes it, but only an arrow is displayed when RED pushes it.
3. Use game_text to display how many players are pushing the cart for both teams. However, it looks very ugly.

Last edited: