[WIP] avantiville

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
will it be a plant the flag game type?

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
It will be plant the flag, or, reverse consecutive ctf....

(actually called attack/defend ctf in the intel settings)

...as far as keeping TRUE layout. It's not going to be exact, be close enough to know what TFC map is was. Im going to name it something different so the purists don't get all in an uproar. Still looking for a fitting name.

Last edited:

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
enough people rated the thread. top right corner under the pagination area.

Does that mean someone rated this thread 5 stars?!
:001_tt1:

...and how the heck do I have 5 karma?! lol

Also, if anyone is good at names, I need help thinking of a catchy name for this.

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
Hey guys...

been busy with life and very caught up in politics and crap going on over at theville. I still stop by every once n a while to check out the site. Which is evolving into a thing of beauty, I must say!

Anyways, yes, I've been workin on the map here n there. I had to go back and rework all my displacements. So, there isn't a huge leap in progress, but the stuff that's done is DONE lol.

Plus, after sacrifist released his avanti_b1, I have decided to take this one in a slightly different direction by adding a few alternate routes and other ways around the map.

So Hi to all my buddies I haven't seen in a while! :D

Corion

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2008
This map looks like it's coming along nicely! Glad to see Avanti is getting a similar beautifying treatment like Lazytown did.

Couple of suggestions based on screenshots alone ...
NEVER USE ELEVATORS!! (Or ladders). I can't stress this enough. Elevators and ladders are extremely buggy in multiplayer and can really disrupt the flow of things. If you need to allow players to get somewhere vertically steeply, use steep stairs or spiraling stairs, like the two stairs to the basement in CTF_2fort. Valve created nice prop elevators, but there's a reason they didn't make it to the final version of the game.

The lighting in this screenshot: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/l3eeon/cp_avantiville_b5_ts0013.jpg looks really funny to me. Your shadow areas appear to be really washed out. I don't know if this is a result of an unnaturally high ambience or some other effect. The rock props in that picture also need to have their shadows turned off.

I'm going to download this map and have a look around - I've had a lot of fun playing on the reverse CTF version of Avanti (the CP one needed a lot of work) and I can't wait to see it actually looking like a map for TF2. I really hope you playtest this map as thoroughly as it should be so the final product will be nicely polished. :0)

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
NEVER USE ELEVATORS!! (Or ladders).

Agreed, I replaced them with ramps.

I made some major progress this weekend. Will have a playable version out this weekend (or sooner!)

Eventually I want to release a CP and a CTF version. For now, the CTF version will be first on the list.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Other than being confused, I had a lot of fun on this map. I think the final area is a little too protected since a good sniper can easily cover the back by himself and the only alternative is the small front door (hello, demoman). Likewise enemy snipers can easily camp the defender's spawn because of the openness of that area. I'd suggest blocking it off to some extent back there, or just adding some cover. You could use it as an opportunity to add another exit in the side as well?

Otherwise maybe some sort of fire escape on the outside of the building that allows people access to a top skylight entrance of some sort? That would be a fun forward base for the attackers as well. I just think it needs a little more access and cover.

For the confusion aspect, arrows are all fine and good, but I found I had to stop and look around to figure out where they were. One possibility would be to add a cart path through the points, which would give people a natural path to follow. You could also do something more unique, like a dashed path on the ground that would change to lead to each CP. I know it sucks that the HUD won't work as desired, but I think there might be some creative solution that would work well. :)

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
I enjoyed this new gameplay and I think it works very well, but as mentioned about the HUD, how will red know exactly where the flag is and where to defend? I hope you can address this issue in an upcoming version.

btw this map is very fun as a soldier on defense having many areas of height advantage