How can I open models in Blender?

mmik

L2: Junior Member
Dec 28, 2008
I have TF2 models decompiled already, but blender won't open .mdl files. I have the script to export models, already, but haven't found anything about importing.

I want to take the train model and try to construct gibs from it. train + explosion = awesome. total modeling nub here, btw. 0 experience other than some Blender interface videos.

edit: oops, I didn't see I wandered off into the downloads forum, just that it was a model-specific forum. Sorry. :x

Last edited:

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
you have to open de .smd files

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
GCFScape didn't put them into .smd files. Is there a way to compile them or something? Right now they seem to be split into a couple of different files. (I don't really know how this works, so I could be wrong)

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
you have to take MDLdecompiler and deompile them, you will get some .smd files, then you have to export them to blender

FaTony

Banned
Mar 25, 2008
.gcf -> .mdl -> .smd. -> .whateverblenderuses

I heard that mdldecompiler still doesn't fully works with tf2 models, but some1 could fix that (Yep, the year has passed since tf2 release).

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
mdldecompiler won't work. It just brings up a window with "mdldecompiler has stopped working" and closes.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Do a little forum/google search ;) you must open the file with a text editor and edit the 5th character into a , or something ;)

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
what? That's strange. I did search a bit, but "mdldecompiler has stopped working" didn't bring up anything nearly related. >_> I'll look around more and see what it is.

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
Sorry, I'm not really finding anything of any use. The closest thing I came to was some guide that talked about opening models with notepad, which obviously doesn't really help me.

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
The best I can come up with is it might not be possible to get blender to even work on my Vista 64 bit... what? D:

I am currently trying to get it to detect python, and following this http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11938 was of no use, and the comments in there are a bit troublesome.

Are there any other programs that I could try using?

edit: ok, I found the recourse link in youme's sig, I'm gonna try milkshape and see how that turns out. Says it was originally made for HL1, so I'm assuming it comes pre-packaged with everything needed to export to HL2. (still no luck with the decompiler, but that's a whole different issue)

Last edited: