[WIP] CTF_Desperation

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
This is my first evar map, and as such has mostly been a learning tool, though I hope by the time I'm done it is fun for everyone.

I started out with a 32 player server in mind. I was inspired by two HL1 maps that I played on LAN years and years ago, crossfire and a cliff map. I don't recall the cliff map's name...but it very well may have been cliffs. At any rate, when I started making this map, those 2 maps were my heaviest influences.

CURRENT STAGE: ALPHA 7

The cliffs of RED. Believe it or not, there's a base with oh-so-desirable intel locked within these caves...

The industrial BLU encroaches upon hostile territory.

Looking pretty much at the middle of the map

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
Thanks of you who stuck around after the A2 fiasco to give it a play. If you remember what you said on voice while you were in there and could repeat it/explain it here, I would really appreciate it. I heard a lot of you can do this "here" ...and I didn't know where you were. I probably should have been on spectate for the test. It was my first one, live and learn :)

tenaciousg

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2008
i really have no clue how ctf maps are suppost to be made to make them good, but i think 2fort did good in keeping the small map.. it is a little small inside the bases but distance between the intels is straight in 2fort.. this map takes a different approach its a bit longer and more open. it was fun shooting people off the roofs but uh, i thought the map was alright, just not sure what improvements could be made besides teamswitch at halftime.

oh and i thought i should add, not a smart idea of having spawns right where the intel is.. just not going to be very popular with alot of pubs, which is what you're aiming for.. the instant respawn servers would kill this map.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
There is brush sticking out above the stairs (red intel) which you could stand on (makes it look like you are floating) the brushwork in the floor goes into the stairs prop (same staircases) at the edge, and a gap above spawn. That was all I seen really.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
You may remember those screens I linked to in chat the other day. I can put the links up here if you need 'em.

I didn't get to play it on gameday, but when I played it before that (with 4 players or something), I found it quite fun. I find it very odd that it's so assymmetrical, though.

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure I fixed those screenshots before the gameday compile, but thanks muffin :)