Notices

Payload Contest Voting Thread  Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Armadillo of Doom
Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Thanks given: 158
Thanks received: 617

Default Payload Contest Voting Thread

The maps have been in rotation for a week now, and the moment has finally come Check out the awesome collage that DJive created; http://tf2maps.net/payload_contest.php You can review the entire judgment process here; http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4888 For the purposes of this thread, here's what you need to know;

Each map gets a score of 1-10 points. 10 being godly, and 1 being an orange box. You may rate each map once and add a summary at the end. Remember that authors are not allowed to vote for their own map. They will be running on the server until the weeks end, but more time can be allotted if necessary. Please sure you give a vote for all the entries. Judging only a couple doesn't count Here are some ideas to get you started;

1. Gameflow: Are signs properly used, and not overwhelming? Do the various pathways make sense? Are spawns timed properly to create battles in the right areas? Are travel times acceptable? Is there good use of playerclipping? (can't get to areas outside the map).
2. Balance: Do RED and BLU stand an even chance of winning the map? Is there a fair contest for each control point? Can each class hold their own in the map? Is any one overpowered or underpowered? Is there a good distribution of health and ammo kits?
3. Detailing: Is the map intricate and beautiful? Is there a high level of polish to the map?
4. Optimization: Is there any lag during major fights? Did the mapmaker spend time improving framerates? Were func_details, areaportals, hints properly implemented? (Note: a map would not be penalized for lacking one of these components if it runs well irregardless) Small factor: Did the mapmaker try to keep filesize reasonable- lightmap optimizations, etc?
5. Style: Does the map fit the style of TF2? Do the individual detailing choices make the map feel put together, or dischordant? Is the environment visually pleasing?

Quote:
Immortal-D :And I get to pimp myself, which is a rare treat.

Last edited by Armadillo of Doom; 01-21-2009 at 04:11 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armadillo of Doom For This Useful Post:
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement Sponsored links

Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Acegikmo
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 162
Thanks received: 473

Scoring template you can use, just quote this post, remove the quote tags, and you'll get the code for the table
MapScore
Cashworks5
Zig5
Repository5
Stovepipe5
Halfacre5
Reservoir5
Vipers den5
Tranquility5
Frontier5

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Acegikmo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
TotalMark
L4: Senior Member

Thanks given: 72
Thanks received: 40

MapScore
Cashworks9
Zig8
Repository8
Stovepipe8
Halfacre8
Reservoir6
Vipers denN/A
TranquilityN/A
Frontier8

I carefully weighed between Frontier and Cashworks, but then I realized the only reason I liked Frontier more was the cool bombcart. Cashworks is different enough to be special.

Zig was one of the most awe inspiring maps I've ever seen on TF2, but the gameplay had its sticky points.

Repository and Stovepipe were fun, as was Halfacre. Each map however seemed quite "vanilla" to me. Desert fatigue I guess.

With work, Reservoir can be a good map, some areas are just a chore to get past however.

Both Tranquility and Vipers Den I haven't played, but both need a lot of work.

Last edited by TotalMark; 01-22-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: unplayed maps should have no rating.
The Following User Says Thank You to TotalMark For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Acegikmo
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 162
Thanks received: 473

MapScore
Cashworks8
Zig6
Stovepipe7
Halfacre7
Reservoir5
Vipers den1
Tranquility4
Frontier10

Cashworks is really nice. Fresh design and quite good gameplay.
However; the optimization isn't that good around the first cap. I'm lagging a bit there.
Zig looks cool. It's always nice with a new theme. But it would be better if the theme fit TF2. It has some roman styled buildings with some surrealistic elements. And it seemed to me like the tunnel was a massive chokepoint.
Stovepipe looks nice and plays kinda good. The displacements are good but there might be a bit too many of them. I'd like some more variation in the theme there.
Halfacre is kinda good too, but it might be a bit too sniper friendly. Another thing I don't like about it is that the style is very orange and brown with a little more orange and brown on top of it. Would be nice with some more variation.
Frontier is very well made. The design is a perfect mix of the industrial gravelpit style and the lumberyard style. The cart is also a nice addition.
Reservoir was very big and very open. Too much space to walk around in; and the last cap is a bit narrow since there's only one entry point plus one demo/soldier entry point.
Tranquility is very undetailed and you can walk through some of the alpine rock props that doesn't have a collision mesh.
Vipers den is highly undetailed. Looks very bland and has a few jaggy displacements that needs smoothing. The Layout is too open and the buildings are too big. The cart sound doesn't stop when you leave the trigger. Some tracks float in the air too. You also forgot to build the cubemaps. And if red can't win; it isn't a map you play on. I know the map isn't finished, but I am rating the map based on the version you submitted for the contest.

Last edited by Acegikmo; 01-24-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Icarus
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 2,157
Thanks received: 1,180

Scoring template you can use, just quote this post, remove the quote tags, and you'll get the code for the table
MapScore
Cashworks8
Zig7
Repository8
Stovepipe9
Halfacre7
Reservoir5
Vipers den2
Tranquility5
Frontier8
Cashworks: A well-made map, and probably the longest standing entry that I remember.
Zig: I love the new art direction, definitely a huge plus. You didn't just add any theme, you kept it consistent yet varied throughout the entire map. Gameplay tends to suffer a bit though.
Repository: I can tell you've spent quite a lot of time of this map. I still don't like that final cap. It's really annoying when BLU engineers cannot set up a base anywhere meaningful.
Stovepipe: Definitely my favourite. Excellent gameplay flow, and decent visuals. Just fix that getting-behind-them problem and I'll take this map to the bank.
Halfacre: It's alright. Feels kind of bland.
Reservoir: The map is massive, could get confusing at times. But you have some pretty neat ideas in there. The spawns were very confusing for both teams. I don't like how easy it is to get to the last point as BLU from the get-go.
Vipers Den: I know you can do better than this. This map is incomplete. The scale of this map is massive. You should submit this as a gameday entry instead, until it has reached a higher level of completion.
Tranquility: Despite the lack of polish I had lots of fun on this map. Is that not what matters? It does feel a bit short, however.
Frontier: It's alright. The last point can get pretty hairy, though, since BLU has RED pretty much surrounded.

Last edited by Icarus; 01-24-2009 at 04:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icarus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
bomc
L2: Member

Thanks given: 54
Thanks received: 18

MapScore
Cashworks9
Zig8
Repository7
Stovepipe8
Halfacre7
Reservoir6
Vipers denN/A
TranquilityN/A
Frontier9
Cashworks: Good map with a nice theme that fits the alpine style very good. it has a nice gameplay, and some good ideas in it
Zig: Nice new theme, that makes the map exiting to look at. It is very varied, but the gameplay still works.
Repository: A nice map, with many possibilities in it. It has some nice ideas, for a challenging, but still not confusing gameplay.
Stovepipe: I love the gameplay and the displacements, and it works very well.
Halfacre: Its a good map, with a good gameplay, but maybe a too many open areas. There isnt much variation in the map.
Resovoir: I havent played this map much, but is has a lot of good ideas in it.
Vipers Den: Havent played yet
Tranquility: havent played yet
Frontier. Good variated map, with lots of nice parts, and a gameplay that works very well

Last edited by bomc; 01-22-2009 at 11:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bomc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Randdalf
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 168
Thanks received: 460

MapScore
Cashworks7
ZigN/A
Repository6
Stovepipe10
Halfacre9
Reservoir3
Vipers den2
Tranquility1
Frontier9

My top three maps were Stovepipe, Halfacre and Frontier, but for me, I think stovepipe pipped it. It just has a certain atmosphere that the other maps don't. Halfacre is good in all aspects, but not really outstanding either. Frontier is a bit of an anti-climax at the finale I find, despite being the prettiest map in the contest. Cashworks is a fun map, but its over detailed in some areas, and in some areas it just doesn't look right.

I'll update when I've played the others.

I might be being a little too harsh on Reservoir and Repository, but I found Reservoir unplayable and confusing, and Repository gave me huge FPS troubles.

Tranquility, it's far from tranquil. Far from it.

And Vipers Den is just messy. Displacements need to be shaped beforehand, rather than molded into forms afterward.

Last edited by Randdalf; 01-25-2009 at 08:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randdalf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
eerieone
L7: Guru

Thanks given: 697
Thanks received: 573

sry to throw that in, just a general question:
are the contestents allowed to vote? and if yes, also for their own map?
sry for the question, maybe it´s clear to the rest of you but it´s my first contest

ctf_premuda pl_cashworks
my portfolio: linkylink
studies, work, fun

Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
YM
LVL100 YM

Thanks given: 1,229
Thanks received: 4,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerieone View Post
sry to throw that in, just a general question:
are the contestents allowed to vote? and if yes, also for their own map?
sry for the question, maybe it´s clear to the rest of you but it´s my first contest
Contestants may vote.
Contestants may not vote for their own map (put n/a)

Last edited by MangyCarface; 01-22-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Just clarifying for non-native speakers ;)
The Following User Says Thank You to YM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Termaximus
L4: Senior Member

Thanks given: 74
Thanks received: 32

MapScore
Cashworks9
Zig7.5
Repository8
Stovepipe7
Halfacre8.75
Reservoir6.5
Vipers denN/A
Tranquility5
Frontier8.75

Cashworks -Played multiple rounds and found aesthetics, balance, and style to be almost perfect. I have by far the most fun on this map.
Zig - Very unique look, although not very TF2esque. Like the layout. Although I only played one round, it seemed fairly balanced
Repository Very fun map and not bad to look at. 3Dkybox does not seem to really fit map though. Not quite as pretty as the top 3.
Stovepipe Overall a pretty and nicely detailed map, although a lot of the cliffs look unnatural. Not the funnest map (my main criteria) which is why it got a 7. Can't put my finger on what it is, but I just had more fun on most of the other maps.
Halfacre Another beautiful map. I think we can all agree that Youme is the cliff displacement master. Map is a bit flat for my taste and not as fun as some of the other polished maps.
Reservoir - I like the layout, although did not play enough to comment on game play. I found all the gray to be very bland, although its understandable given your theme.
Tranquility - A 5 because comparing it to some very polised maps. Layout is cool. Like the underwater part. Very impressive for 2 weeks work. Should be great once farther along.
Frontier This map is beautiful. Bravo! Game play is fun, but as others have said I find that the large train gets in the way a bit. Overall excellent map, but had to give a bit less than Cashworks because I just find that map to be the funnest.
Vipersden - my map, so no vote
The rest - will check out and vote before the week is up

Last edited by Termaximus; 01-28-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement Sponsored links

Previous Thread Next Thread