ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Map: Cumulus
Version: Alpha 3
Author: ChronoTriggerFan
Gameplay: 3 Stage Payload
Description:

Cumulus takes place in a stretch of iron ore veins, somewhere in the desert. RED is planning to use cloud seeding to blackmail power companies with huge thunder storms, likely to wipe them off the earth. BLU, commissioned by fearful power companies, has set out to destroy RED's base of operation.

Screen Shots:

Known Issues:

Download Map Here

For more in depth development info, check out my Mapping Blog, updated sporadically!

***Note***
When posting feedback, please exclude graphical problems, such as a misaligned texture, weird brush placement, etc. What I'm looking for is information that will help me balance the map out, making both sides have an equal chance of winning if both teams are equivalent.

Last edited:

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hey, I attached a screenshot taken from the hole I fell into (it's right outside the spawn, and not the one you mentioned below the tracks).

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, if it's posts you want, I can tell you that the idea of the cracked landscape is great. I was wondering why I hadn't played this yet, but I remember you saying something about doing your own playtests instead of gameday. Maybe I should join one of those, I'd love to play this.

I'd probably download it and have a look on my own if my internet connection didn't suck so hard that a map download takes about an hour.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well, if it's posts you want, I can tell you that the idea of the cracked landscape is great. I was wondering why I hadn't played this yet, but I remember you saying something about doing your own playtests instead of gameday. Maybe I should join one of those, I'd love to play this.

Well its in gameday, there have just been two epic fail gameday's meaning no one played it. Tonight's playtest in gameday should be all good though.

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
Well, I've got it play tested for the first time, which found that there is a lot of balance to be done. Cap 1 is too hard to defend, and Cap 2 is too easy to defend. If you found anything more specific on these problems, do post them.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
That damn sentry :D, just jokin...

I think to make cap 2 better you should put an outside stairway/balcony that is big enough for spies to sneak up. Only one entrance to the insde top is too hard. Maybe even make a doorway and a brudge that goes over towards the blu side (up top on ramp side of that building).

Never did spend much time on first so don't have alot of suggestions there. I suppose being so close to blu spawn is one reason it caps quick.
But that's not so bad imo, it could probably be a little harder to cap but it also makes the attacking team feel like they are getting somewhere.

I think the ground work is pretty cool, but some spots were just a little too tall to jump up.
Might be nice if you lowered some spots of the displacements so its easier. I found myself backtracking 5-10 feet alot of times just so I could get up a ledge, and alot of times having to turn my back to the other team.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The building in part 2 definitely seemed to be the biggest problem. There needs to be at least on more entrance to the sentry spot on the upper level. Maybe 2. It's impossible for Spies to get up there... and any other class can forget about it as well, really, since it's hard to attack the sentry nest from any sort of good range. I'd go as far as opening up the wall facing BLU's side, allowing Soldiers, Snipers and such to get the sentries from a safe distance.

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
I'm trying to get some sort of middle agreement here. I don't want sentry's to be completely useless placed up there, however, I do want it to be somewhat challenging to remove them, and when you do remove them, you're free to move the cart past the building. The other ways up to there are a must, but I don't feel the wall removal would do much good for RED.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
cap 2 seems to be very sniper friendly for both teams

on blue I camped out in that one hole in the wall that extends furthest into reds side and just sniped anyone coming around the corner from the spawn...its was very easy too, as i was far enough away that no one notices you unless they are looking

then on red I stood to the left of a red building and got everyone heading along the track the payload needs to follow...a little bit less effective then the blue spot due to multiple routes but it was still very easy

Rivid31

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2009
Well most things are already mentioned here but heres a few screenshots of some things.

http://i43.tinypic.com/5o6zd0.jpg
These cracks in the wall need some player clipping, you can still fall in them, ( you said you might have fixed this? )

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ce3had.jpg
For red, this spot right here is wayyy too powerful for a sniper. BLU had their cart in that building across the way, and I could pick off anybody that went near it. Overall the map could use a few more rocks/displacements to block off some views of sniper, both RED and BLU can snipe across 1/2 the map.

http://i40.tinypic.com/xp4yl3.jpg
This little cabin (and another one nearby are kind of annoying since you have to actually jump to get in them. make them short enough to just walk over, or add a tiny ramp maybe?

For the main problem of the building I think the best solution has been mentioned. Adding an outside ramp or two up to the top level would allow spies/ubered people/demos to get up and more easily take out sentries. Other solutions would be to create bigger windows, or make the building itself smaller so stickies are easier to aim.

I thought the first point was a little hard to defend, but didn't take much away from the map since the distance to the end is far enough there's still plenty of defending to do.

I can't comment on much after that building since the cart never got past there, but it seems like it ought to be alright... :shrug:

Looking forward to next weeks with some updated balance

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
Cumulus a3 has been released! the changes are as follows:

Code:
Changed a setup gate too a door to prevent spawncamping.
Modified health and ammo placment
Clipped off a few holes in the ground, to prevent players getting stuck in them.
Gutted and restructured the BLU spawn to make it appear smaller on the inside.
Various Changes made in preparation for a round change.
Raised the bridge which the cart goes under so that players will not clip through it 
  if they are riding the payload under it.
Fixed cart making capture sounds when being pushed.
Added sentry cover around the first Cap area.
Balanced sentry spots around cap 2 to make them less over powered.
Added 2 ramps up to the middle building in Cap 2
Added a rock to the right of the track in cap 2 to break up a powerful line of sight for 
  snipers.
Added various ramps and planks to help manuver around the terrain.
Added a building in the middle of Cap 1 to make it easier to defend.