Ashford Mills

Arkosis

L1: Registered
Feb 19, 2008
pl_Ashford Mills

Welcome to Ashford Mills! This run down Goldmine that serves as a secret Missile Silo Base for the RED team. The objective is simple, push the cart into the silo and destroy that missile!

Ashford Mills, a Payload map with 4 points set in a Badwater style of play. Taking place in the desert, BLU must push the cart all the way to missile silo to blow it up.

For this map I aimed to make it a familiar mix between Dustbowl style and Badwaters gameplay. At the same time creating a different feeling by eliminating many of the choke points and unbeatable sentry spots that are very prominent in popular payload maps. The map was also made to be able to handle larger groups of people, thus having some more areas which are wider open and allow for more players.

Intended players: 18~28

Others who are "Credit to teem"

Acegikmo - Enviroment Gallery
Nineaxis - Los Alamos Project
A Boojum Snark - Prop Library/misc.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
About time for a thread. Only been developing this for eight or nine years now, right?

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
IDK bro, looks like you retextured badwater to me.

<3

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
*First point is pretty good
*B and C are too easy to capture. You should make those sideway doors open much slower.
*Last point is fine, but too many good sentry spots.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Being able to place sentries to cover three different angles on this map was pretty brutal.

The ones our team used to give the other so much trouble until they finally smashed their way out of it: Behind (and on top of!) the dump truck by the point, the pile of crates just outside of defending spawn on ground level, and the stairs across from the tracks' entry point into the area. There might've been more, but I was too busy turtling like the dirty gear monkey I am to go out and check.

Edit: More things now that I've gone back through my screenshots!

evilflank.jpg

I was frantically trying to setup for BLU's push in what seemed like an ideal sentry position, when suddenly soldiers and demos started raining down on my head. Turns out that some sort of flanking route had opened up with their cap, and led right into the little indent pointed out in this picture. This wouldn't be a complaint, except for at this point the cart was still way down the track, turning the corner from the cap. These guys basically ran in and cleared out any form of resistance we had in the stretch prior to this pic.

So, I'm all for flanking routes, but not ones that present such a great advantage to the attackers.

This one's much more minor:

annoyingwall.jpg

I was backing up from a demo I'd met at the top of some stairs, when I got caught on this edge here on the way out, and died for it. The exact place is the building to the right of the tracks.

Last edited:

Arkosis

L1: Registered
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys, this gameday was a tad hard to look at since it had some mixed results.

Being able to place sentries to cover three different angles on this map was pretty brutal.
Quite honestly, I was surprised at the new sentry spots people had found, from prior testing, I've only seen the truck area used. I guess, I'll just take out the truck, and it should lighten the sentry spot, I guess I can also remove the crates infront of spawn, since that seemed to be a problem.

I was frantically trying to setup for BLU's push in what seemed like an ideal sentry position, when suddenly soldiers and demos started raining down on my head. Turns out that some sort of flanking route had opened up with their cap, and led right into the little indent pointed out in this picture. This wouldn't be a complaint, except for at this point the cart was still way down the track, turning the corner from the cap. These guys basically ran in and cleared out any form of resistance we had in the stretch prior to this pic.

Hm, the path was intentionally designed to break the defence with a good uber maybe, but I'm actually surprised this happened! I'd never seen it before. I think I'm going to slow down the door opening to alternate paths, sorta like after cap A in steel.

It's still hard to judge based on the test, since one team had a cakewalk while the otherone had a tough time. Still, thanks for the feedback!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I have a lot of fun on this map, it has a good flow and interesting battlezones. I don't know why it's so hard to notice this map, but it feels like it's not getting the attention it should!

GOOD MAP! Keep up the good work.