My func_tracktrain crashes linux servers

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
I'll get right down to it. After a day of cordoning, compiling, uploading and rconing to my clan's Gentoo box, I managed to narrow down the reason why map was crashing on Linux servers (it works fine on Windows).

It was a set of rather decorative tracktrain sequences in both team's bases. What I don't get is why? :confused:

The implementation was very similar to your typical payload cart, but of course, automated and templated. A func_tracktrain made of of tools/clip. Some prop_dynamics were parented to it, laid out some path_tracks. I point_templated the whole shebang (the train stuff, not the path_tracks) and setup the I/O to spawn it on map start and set the tracktrain in motion. The last path_track kills the hierarchy at the end of sequence, waits and calls a respawn on the point_template to do it all over again.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like the point_template or the fact that there are 4 tracktrains (all different sequences of course) :confused:

If anyone has dealt with this problem, I'd sure like to know what I can do to fix it. Maybe some kind of workaround. Some quirks about tracktrains I don't know of? The entities work fine in Windows, its just that Linux boxes seem to give up when they load the map.

For now, I will proceed without it. My Beta 2 is long overdue and I'd rather worry about the playability of the map, but I am dissappointed I didn't get to add this cosmetic effect. Maybe I'll just do some trickyness with func_doors as the path isn't too complicated. :sleep: