Keepaway

Bockagon

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2009
I'm using the keep away game mode. I've been looking around and I haven't found any maps that use this mode (surely some must exist though). Basically you have to capture the intelligence and hold it until time runs out. Whichever team is in possession of the intel when time runs out gets a point. This game mode is simple to make the entities for and relatively simple to map, due to the fact that it should usually be symmetrical. There's also a tutorial on how to make it on the valve developer wiki.

still to do
texture
make whatever changes to layout are needed when i get feedback after gameday

screenshots
an overall view of the map
the inside of the intel building
a view of the front of the red base
the raised side area
the intel building as viewed from the exit of the blu spawn
a view of the red base

Last edited:

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
yes I am aware that the screenshots are massive, I forgot to resize them before i posted. Attempting to fix this now.
EDIT:screenshots fixed

Last edited:

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
alpha 3 :)
soooooo many changes in this update. The gameplay is very different now than it was in the previous versions. Lots of different defensive options, but each with a fatal flaw that must be covered well or the intel will be lost.

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
bump cause I really need some feedback. I really just need to know if there are any major flaws in the map that I'm not seeing before I submit it for gameday testing.

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
updated alpha 3 to 3.2. Some detail work, added a fence on the roofs of the bases (screenshots will be up eventually).

clp60

L1: Registered
Jun 27, 2009
from the pics it looks good just finished downloading and when im done working on my map ill check it out
Edit-just finished a test and its a good map dont get me wrong but there is one main problum that i notaiced and thats it the sniper deck(im guessing thats what it was) you can roket jump in most likely the same with demo i was able to get in with the intel i belive that might be a problum and with the small tunnle to the right whoever has the intel can sit there and no one whould be able to find and easly win

Last edited:

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
Just checked it out, this looks like it could be a lot of fun! Though I can't see teams being too big otherwise it turns into a grind fest.

One thing is you might want to build the cube maps before you release each release. It is what is causing your purple-y glows on the signs. ([ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=24384"]Understanding Buildcubemaps - TF2Maps.net Forums[/ame])

I like how you can't take the intel back through the bottom tunnels, as I think you do need to make sure you can't make easy camping places. Along those veins I think you need to make the battlements easier to get to for the other team. Right now you have it so that the roof covers all of it, maybe make it so there is a little area for the opposing team to drop down into it. As it is right now a couple classes can get in there, scout, demo and soldier. I can forsee a team getting the intel and pulling back into there were a sentry could easily be built in the ventilation shaft and it turning into a bit of a camp fest.

Also, I think this game would benefit from shorter rounds and shorter spawn times so that there is constant action, especially with the small map people won't be in play for very long before dieing.

Anyways, all in all, I like it and look forward to trying it in a game day or something. :)

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
one main problum that i notaiced and thats it the sniper deck
hmm... i thought i fixed that, I'll check that out, thanks for pointing it out

One thing is you might want to build the cube maps before you release each release
I plan on adding cubemaps eventually I just didn't feel like messing around with them until I submitted a version that would be used for gameday

I like how you can't take the intel back through the bottom tunnels, as I think you do need to make sure you can't make easy camping places. Along those veins I think you need to make the battlements easier to get to for the other team. Right now you have it so that the roof covers all of it, maybe make it so there is a little area for the opposing team to drop down into it. As it is right now a couple classes can get in there, scout, demo and soldier. I can forsee a team getting the intel and pulling back into there were a sentry could easily be built in the ventilation shaft and it turning into a bit of a camp fest.
thanks for trying it out!
I was trying to make a lot of places that are easily defendable without turning into a turtle, which is why most sentry locations can be taken out by a skilled demoman. If by battlements you mean the sniper nest/tower thing my original intention was to make it so that the intel can't be taken up there in the first place (which I apparently have to fix :p). Although that is another angle to consider, perhaps I should allow the other team up there. I'll look into it.

this game would benefit from shorter rounds and shorter spawn
oh noes! i forgot to adjust spawn time! Lol I'll make the spawn shorter and you're probably right about the round time, I've been toying around with different time limits.

Thank you both for the excellent feedback

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
Went to go download it but noticed your DL still says a3.2, although another thought for you until that gets up for me to test.

You need to change the map name, add the version as a suffix to the end. If you just have it as ctf_keepaway at all times not only will people not know what version they are playing, but people can run into errors because steam will only recognize that you have a different version, but won't override it and download the new one. (Which also means that you can't dl the old one accidentally)

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
i'll do something like that with the next update (which i plan to make fully playable and submit to gameday). As for the download I updated the thread it probably just hasn't processed yet. I'll check it again.
EDIT: it says alpha 4 for me on the DL thread, check it again.

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
Weird, I still see it saying 3.2... Did you edit the existing DL or did you ad a new one?

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
i edited the existing one. I'll go check it out. In the meantime i just did a run through of your map corporate, looks nice so far, posting feedback momentarily.

EDIT: Download page fixed

Last edited:

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
Ah, that works! :)

Tried it out and the respawn times are much nicer. Also the door is a great idea, the only issue with how it is implemented atm is that the opposing team can't enter it. So now it is even easier for your team to run it to where the other team has difficulty getting to it.

Also I just wanted to say I like how you have your ammo and medpacks set up, keeping those to the center I think really enforces the constant action, although maybe putting a small ammo pack on the roof for snipers, or what not so they don't have to run back inside to spawn and aren't forced to make a dash out to the middle.

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
the door is a great idea, the only issue with how it is implemented atm is that the opposing team can't enter it. So now it is even easier for your team to run it to where the other team has difficulty getting to it.
I made it so that you can't take the intel through that door. If i do decide to make that into a defensive position (which i probably will) I'll make it easier for the opposing team to get in.

Thanks for the feedback, it's been really helpful.

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
Not at all, I am more than happy to help.

And now that I am playing around w that I see what you did, that could definitely work as a possibility for that, though I think a notification or sign saying you cant bring the intel would be needed, as otherwise I think people will try.

Also, if that is the route you want to do you will need to fix that up a little bit. I was able to sneak the intel into the area by scout jumping into it, it dropped the intel ON the railing, upon which I was able to jump onto the railing to pick up the intel then back peddle into the sniper nest and hold onto the intel.

Also, it can be done by dropping it at the door, and crouching and doubling back up to it slowly, picking it up and retreating back inside. Then what happens is when you try to leave it drops the intel inside! >.<

With that theory in mind I tried to get it into the tunnels and was able to... Which if you can do that it is a garunteed win for whoever can get it into the tunnels.

Also I noticed which I think is how you are doing the dropping, but when I change classes at the exact spot where I drop the intel, I can change classes with no penalty, so I think you may need to find a different way of stopping the intel into those places, or make them more accessible to the other team. Though I hope you can get another way for the tunnels, and possibly make that door one way, cause I REALLY like those tunnels to the middle.

Hope that helps. :)

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
That certainly does help.

Alright here's my plan: turn the sniper nest into a defensive area easily accessible by both teams. Figure out a better way to block the intel so that it can't be taken into the tunnels/vents in the walls on the sides or make it easier for the opposing team to flush out campers in there. And lastly keep the intel out of the underground tunnels somehow.

Bockagon

Jul 15, 2009
hooray for alpha 5!
Major layout changes in this update. Pakrat also finally decided to work so there's a custom mission briefing now.