Wip: Ctf - Spacebase

meatpopsicle

L1: Registered
Nov 9, 2007
new screenshot - showing off a model I'm putting in the engineering section, its not done but its as far as I'll get it this weekend; enjoy

spacebase-4-2008.jpg

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
anyone have feedback or "first impression" on that model? I was wondering if there was any positive/negative reaction before I spend too much more time on it .. I've got a couple of ideas of different tweaks I could make if theres any feeling that something needs to be adjusted.

thanks in advance

meat

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
its a somewhat "sci-fi" voltage transformer , i made the top flares more pronounced to give a old school 1940's sci-fi movie feel to it.

but i agree with onyx that it needs some re-work I just couldnt make up my mind so input from other people is helpful!

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
beta 1 coming -very- soon

hey folks,

this weekend I finished all my lists for beta 1 in spacebase

I am now learning how to put together a map for distribution and doing some texture optimzation to reduce download size (hadn't compressed any of the textures ha!)

if anyone knows of a tutorial on packaging your map for tf2 id take a link but otherwise I'm pretty sure Ill be able to stumble through it shortly here.

I have a few interesting suprises in the map that no ones seen yet so I'm pretty excited to get it put together.

And .. oh yes I need to do the final compile, is just using the preset final compile options in hammer ok? Or is there something more I should do? I know sometimes the presets are kind of weaksauce.

thanks for any advice

meat

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
Ok I did my final compile ; default settings in hammer and it took 8.5 minutes, which really shocked me I was thinking it would be hours? Seems to run well so I'm happy with that overall.

I also compressed the textures so those are ready.

Now I just need to package it.

ctf_spacebase_b1 is on the way :D If all goes well maybe tonight. :thumbup:

meat

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
And its done!

Well I'm sure someone noticed .. but I wanted to post a follow here in this thread,

ctf_spacebase has been released and is available for download

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4793

Posting in case anyone has this tagged for follow up.

Thanks for all the posts and encouragement over the development cycle!

meatpopsicle

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Just wanted to say this was one of my favorite areas of the map:

ctf_spacebase0001.jpg

And as far as gameplay goes, as soon as people discovered the water pathways, no one crossed the large room with the spaceship in it anymore...I don't know if that was a one time deal, or if you should make it more rewarding to travel through there.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
You probably should have giant repair arms coming out of the floor to work on the ship. they dont need to move but they need to be large enough to provide cover.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I never saw the airlock :)

Yeah, the bay needs more cover and suction to pull you into space :D
Mechanical arms would be cool, maybe some shelves to build a few paths around the ships in the corners.

Pretty cool map. It was mentioned there should be more shine. Would be cool to see more spec on alot of the textures.

I also thought some floor grids with pipes wires under them would be cool.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
There was a bit of a learning curve as far as the layout, but after a few minutes I started to enjoy this a lot. I'm thinking more signs are needed showing where the intelligence is

It may have been mentioned, but with the two intel rooms being unique in layout, it may be easier to defend red intel than blue (although I had a pretty easy time sticky camping the blue intel for a while)

The hitbox on the spaceship needs some work. At times grenades would bounce off if I shot them over the ship, and some players were able to clip through parts of the nose

Good work though, it was fun