sky_skylab_01

Skybox Space skybox: sky_skylab_01 1.0

Dec 25, 2007
Here's the space skybox I used in my cpoint mini-contest entry.

I am making it available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial 2.5 UK: Scotland licence, which means you are free to reuse, alter or adapt it as long as you credit the original author (me) and are not using it in a commercial work. See the link above for full details.

To use: extract the files into your team fortress 2\tf\materials\skybox folder.

Edit: Note that this skybox has full 2048x2048 textures in each direction (the high resolution was necessary to keep the stars looking like stars). To keep your map's size down, if you don't need some directions, I suggest you:

1. rename all the files (e.g. to sky_yourmapname)
  2. edit the .vmts to update the texture names accordingly
  3. delete the .vtfs you don't need
  4. edit the .vmts for those directions to use 'tools/toolsblack' as the texture.

Here's the light_environment settings I'm using:

• Brightness: 255 255 255 1200
  • Ambient: 118 114 139 50
  • Pitch Yaw Roll: -35 270 0
  • Pitch: -35
  • SunSpreadAngle: 5

These are chosen specifically for the "outer space" feel in this map; it results in extremely bright lit areas, with very dark unlit areas, and quite sharp-edged shadows. Since most of koth_skylab is effectively indoors, this choice allows me to use the environment lighting less for illumination and more for the effect of light streaming in through the big round window.

These settings will probably not be suitable for an outdoor map in space, as the harsh contrast will make it hard on the eyes, and the low ambient may result in too many poorly lit areas. For example, if I was making a moon map with this skybox--where this is still no atmosphere to soften the light--I would lower the sun brightness and increase the ambient brightness a little, but then add bright angled point_spotlights to areas where I wanted the effect of harsher lighting, such as crater edges.

Also, since there is no sun in the skybox, and no terrain in it to appear lit from any particular direction, you should choose angles that suit your map; there's no reason to prefer the angles I use above.

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
What happens if valve tries buying a map off someone who used this texture? do they have to buy the texture off you as well as the map off the person or what? :3

And lovely skybox, I might have to make a space map just to use that skybox sometime, lol

Dec 25, 2007
What happens if valve tries buying a map off someone who used this texture? do they have to buy the texture off you as well as the map off the person or what?
Basically yes; this is the same for any third-party content: if you didn't make it or Valve didn't make it, then if Valve wants to buy your map that uses it you must either replace the custom content or buy rights to it off its creator.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
TF2 in Space... Where no Spam has gone before.

Great Job VelvetFistIronGlove (...Do you have a nickname?) Amazingly Unique.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
(...Do you have a nickname?)

VFIG :p

Great job. This might cause my short-attention-spanned mind to start making a space map, thanks a lot. :D

Dec 25, 2007
So what light_environment settings do you use in skylab?
I've updated the first post with the light_environment settings I used, along with a brief discussion of why they might not be suitable for you.

sweitx

L1: Registered
Jan 11, 2010
That looked really nice!
I'm currently in progress of making a space "colony" type map and is looking around for a good skybox.
Btw, how do you make your skybox? I try using some star field image I've made to fit in skybox, but the perspectives at the corners are always off.

zenarium

L2: Junior Member
Jun 29, 2012
I can't use that skybox :S

I don't have the skybox folder...

I have this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\zenarium\team fortress 2\tf\materials

But no skybox folder...

Help me please :S

zenarium

Jun 29, 2012
I did it... and extracted the files do that fodler... and I still can't use the skybox

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
You're so modest you didn't even make a thanks post.

This is a pretty awesome skybox.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I was referring to Velvet.

When people make models and textures and whatnot it is customary to make a thanks post (a post there specifically so people can "thank" the creator).

zenarium

Jun 29, 2012
Ok.

I downlaod the skybox and extratec the files to a folder that I created inside the materials folder called skybox_folder.

Than I wrote the name of the skybox in my map(in the skybox menu).

But when I run the map the skybox doesn't appear...

Can you use this skybox?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, your folder should just be called "skybox". That's why the instructions say to put it in "skybox". Not "skybox_folder". Best to follow instructions before complaining that it doesn't work.