Home Front

Dec 25, 2007
My CTF competition entry.

There is one neutral flag that spawns in the centre of the map. Each team can pick up the flag, and take it to the capture zone at the top of a silo in enemy territory. If you drop the flag, the enemy can then take it and cap it: it never returns to the centre of its own accord.

This map has now got a proper name; it was formerly known by the working title of ctf_desind. All future versions will be ctf_home_front.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
While the gameplay is interesting and the general layout seems good (especially the towers - they're fun, keep them) it felt like everyone was going off to the sidelines, while they should be directed towards the middle first. have the map bottleneck around the middle area where the flag is, as it's more than big enough an area to support two teams clashing, and would make for more big fights going on instead of the occasional 1v1.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
The map lay out is great!
Unlike what Tinker said I think the side passages are good (and they mostly have more than 1v1 fights). The Only thing you need to do, for what I think would be the best, is to detail the map and make it look more in a TF2 style! (and add cubemaps - even if it's an a1...)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
After a quick runthrough and a playtest yesterday:

It feels open from the word "Go."
The Layout is simple, which is good although it's rather confusing with the 2 arrow signs pointing in different directions.
The long sightlines are another issue to address as well.

Dec 25, 2007
Alpha 2 is now out: Get it here!

* Added experimental 3rd route to capture zone.
* Player HUDs now show which team has the flag.
* Altered flag cap zone area.
* Altered spawns to reduce campability.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Unfortunately I only got to play this for about 5 minutes as it was ending when I joined, so I never really got past the "wait, where am I?" stage. I followed a few people about as a medic and a couple of things that struck me were that it did seem pretty easy to spawn camp and that there needed to be some health in the middle, like maybe below the flag spawn. There might well be some near there I just didn't find it.

Looking good though, hopefully next time I'll get to play it for a bit longer.

Dec 25, 2007
there needed to be some health in the middle, like maybe below the flag spawn. There might well be some near there I just didn't find it.
There was meant to be a small healthkit under the bridge; it was there in a1, and somehow I must've accidentally deleted it in a2. Thanks for spotting that!

Apr 19, 2009
bug.JPG

void.JPG

Both are on RED and BLU.

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
As I suspected, this map is very large and problems similar to what we had in Assembly occurred here due to the size of the map, although in its current state it could probably work for Highlanders (and overall we think it would be a really fun map for public servers too.)

---

Map's Note Page - People weren't using the /n feature a lot while they definitely had a lot to say about the map, this has helped me to come up with new features for the system (hopefully it will be a very efficient map testing tool by the end of this contest too!)

Similar to my comments on Nutomic's map, there are a couple of tweaks that we feel will make this variation of CTF better for competitive play:

1) Longer Intel Respawn Times: We noticed that there was a respawn time on this map, but it was quite short, needs to be much longer to give players a chance to get back to the intel's starting location.

2) Controlled Ownership of Intel when Dropped: As I suggested on Nutomic's map, it would be great if the intel was locked to the team of whoever dropped the intel for a period of time before becoming Neutral, this acts similarly to reversing a cap in a 5cp map and gives the team that lost the intel a chance to redeem themselves.

---

Hero said:
ctf_desind_a1:
  • Map is too big
  • Too hard to def the tower from intalcarryer
  • Nice feature with the delay on the intel from it's caped until it spawns
  • The map is a maze, add more signs and landmarks so one doesnt get lost
  • Hppack under mid/around it
  • some more ammopack

Remove some crazy long side routes and move the tower and spawn closer 2gether so one stands a chanse to defend it

Monchberter said:
ctf_desind_a1:
  • Good concept, but very large and would suit large teams at present.
  • A lot of ground to cover to cap and spirals are not easy to rocket jump
  • suggest 1 way doors from spawn to main intel respawn to prevent easy spawn camping and use of side passages.
  • suggest making the high mid path inaccessible, making cappers go past enemy spawn
  • definitely needs very clear signage as not clear how to reach objectives
  • dropping of intel can make it hard to locate by direction alone and can be frustrating due to twisty paths which confuse.
  • Set 20 second time before respawn of intel to allow teams to converge on centre again, too quick spawns was leading to seesawing game with players camping the spawn point prior to intel respawn. too easy to abuse and to take most of both teams out of the game.

I'll get your STV demo in a bit, despite the lack of notes sent to the site people definitely had a lot of criticism and improvement for this map and I think it could go very far.

Good job so far!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2007
This map has now got a proper name; it was formerly known by the working title of ctf_desind.

Thanks to Nutomic for coming up with the name homefront, and for choosing another name for his map instead :)

Dec 25, 2007
Bump for alpha 3 release. There have been some major layout changes in this version:

Alpha 3:

* Respawn times are now 5 - 10 second.
* Flag respawns 20 seconds after capturing.
* Paths to enemy territory now all pass through central area.
* Major layout changes around spawns.
* Team intro messages are no longer the 5cp message.
* More health and metal available at appropriate places.
* Better signs to intelligence and capture points.
* Round ends correctly at time limit.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
The map is too large, but it's not that anything is overscaled, it just seems that as soon as you leave spawn you have far too many routes to choose from which leads to people being spread out all over the map.

Last edited:

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
I love the idea, but this map still seems to suffer from the problem I mentioned at first: it's big.

The map itself is not big, although it feels big because of how tall things are, it's the fact that the existence of one single flag forces the team to run back and forth through all the map. It's inherent to 1-flag-ctf modes that most of the game is spent running, so the map has to compensate for it.

Maybe it's me, I haven't been the biggest fan of 1-flag-ctf maps so far, prefer regular ctf... I'd say put out a "side test" version with 2 flags, invade CTF... See how that goes and compare.