Trainsawlaser

KotH Trainsawlaser RC2

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010

Check out my Youtube channel for more videos on this map and my others!

Subscribe on the workshop!

Koth_Trainsawlaser
TSL1.jpeg

A mysterious suicidal cult to an entity known only as "Train God" has been discovered in an abandoned industrial hazardous materials compound. We're not sure what they were doing or why they were doing it, but we do know that we want whatever it is that they have. The dirty hippies have been driven from their homeland and into the desert where they belong. The only thing left to do is decide which team gets to claim the weird hazardous facility as their own.

Red and Blu have taken part of the compound as their own and it's up to you to stumble your way through the literal death trap of a work environment and capture that point! The hippies were kind of encouraging the last part, but never mind that. Sign this release form...

FEATURES
  • Trains!
  • Saws!
  • Lasers!
  • Dirty hippy Graffiti! Smell the patchouli still in the carpet!
  • Patented Train Rain™ technology!
  • More environmental deaths than you can count or even realize are there!
  • Bad-ass voice over work! Your maps don't have that! Suck it!
  • Sacrifice counter! Keeps tally of all your noble sacrifices to the hippy god thing that is probably a big deal to someone!
  • Sacrifice milestone events! Die 100 times, get rewarded! Science!
  • Proven dev texture aesthetics! Wow! Look at that detail!
  • Alcohol influenced design decisions!
  • Signs that lie!
  • Acid-Toxic-Waste-Stuff... It glows and hurts! Swim in it!(beware of sharks)
  • Sadistic level design! Fuck you, players!
  • Totally seasonal pumpkin bombs!
  • Fucks-Given Counter™ updated in real time!
  • Dizzying spectator cameras!
  • Professional-grade clipping! Feel the smooth transitions! Stuck? It's your own fault!
  • Engineer enraging nerfs! Haha!
  • Spells! Which one do you have, you ask? Fuck if I know!

BZ2 Download for Server Owners

Join the Steam Group!

Engineer Counter by Washipato

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I've been working on this map in between Stoneyridge over the past year since the 2012 April Fools Gameday, testing it on the Penny Arcade community server practically weekly. I've had a ton of fun listening to their reactions with each update and I'm excited to finally get to inflict this map on you guys properly. Hope you guys can find some servers to toss it on and have as much fun as we have with it.

Overview:
Overview1.jpg

Mar 23, 2010
penny arcade does customs?

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
We used to run 3 servers and ironically the only one that survived the community slowing down was our custom map server (House of Non-Conformity.) So we do snag a handful of custom maps now and then to put on there, but we tend to play a lot of regular maps. Just the way the votes end up going.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Speaking of how badass the voice work is, I intended on posting these too:

All the voice-over lines that play during the map:

A gag-reel I put together of the mess-ups, shenanigans and unused lines we got while recording:

Thanks to [UEAK]Carnage for doing such an awesome job with these. We had a lot of fun recording them, as you can hear in the second clip. That was cut out of almost 2 hours of audio.

My recording chain was a SM57 microphone (it's what we had around) with a pop filter going into a Xenyx 802 mixer which went into an Audiophile 192 audio card. I recorded and edited/ mixed the clips with Audacity.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I love that even for people who use fancy recording equipment, Audacity is considered just as good of a recording and editing app as the high-end professional stuff.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
We used to run 3 servers and ironically the only one that survived the community slowing down was our custom map server (House of Non-Conformity.) So we do snag a handful of custom maps now and then to put on there, but we tend to play a lot of regular maps. Just the way the votes end up going.

I like to think of it less as "surviving" as "not having to worry about real-life obligations drawing me away from it."

At least that's what I tell myself as I cry myself to sleep every night.

...Okay, maybe "surviving" sounds better, in retrospect.

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
New version released

April 24th 2013
Beta 3
-Fixed out-of-map exploits. If you DO manage to get out of the map, it will now kill you. Balance has been restored.
-Fixed a bug where you could block the spawn courtyard train's gates. This also kills you.
-Raised the center point kill counter up higher to fix a few small issues.
-Slightly reduced spawn times after capture.
-Train Rain now happens on it's own after a set amount of time with no control point captures.
-Fixed the missing Train Hit audio line ("Say goodbye to your train, wanker")
-Added in two new Train Hit lines provided by Youtube commentator Sal! (youtube.com/user/Fatmop)

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
you animal