Contest idea thread!

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
hmm, maybe a full dual-mapping contest focusing only on detail, nothing more?

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Who knows... we still might get the rumored Third Community Map with it's fan-made gamemode

I'd have believed that it was Meridian until Shmitz came out with B4 and redid the temple. Particularly since the change to allow the forcing of CTF HUD in that one update that seemed like they did it just for him.

Regarding the thread, my favorite idea for a contest is currently small maps for 4-10 players for when servers are starting up or slowing down for the night, as discussed here

Last edited:

ikem

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 8, 2008
no i heard there will be always 3 community maps and 1 valve map (steam forums)

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Competitive 5 cp push maps like Granary and badlands!

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Create an intel room, for gameplay. ie take everything bad said in the why do people hate ctf thread and try and combat that. The test will be against 2 or 3 camping engys against an uber, or 2.

Bot190

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2008
A contest where everyone gets a model or specific theme and you have to map around that theme, no restriction on game type just has to follow the theme or based around the model.

Inqwel

Jun 2, 2008
A Final Capture point contest would be good. It would be one team's base. Payload or Capture Point Style. Of course there still would be size requirements, one working spawn, the capture point/payload hole.

(After 20 pages, its hard to tell what has been suggested anymore.)

Fogold

L2: Junior Member
Jan 23, 2009
I would rather like an arena map contest. They are rather small, so it would probably get lots of contestants, and they are actually proper maps that are played for fun, unlike from the previous 2 competitions. What I liked so much about the single-stage payload competition was that there was so many great entries to play :).

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Some of this has already been mentioned, most is just brainstorming....

- 3d skybox
- Payload explosion scene
- Best use of water
- Best alpha lay-out
- Custom 2d skybox

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
During summer people have a lot more free time and a full scale project contest might be appropriate. Something starting within the next month and ending September 1st would be an excellent timeframe.

The community loves 3 stage A/D maps. Re-treading that ground isn't a terrible idea.

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing a mapping contest which is over a 24 hour straight period. Give like a pre-designed layout (E.g. if its a 5cp map, have a base one done which has to be built around, (E.g. no brushes done; just entity set up; which are not allowed to be changed)

the mapping would be done for 24 hours straight (or 12 & 12; which ever people prefered to do) and then the results are posted and the one which plays the best/looks nicest wins

:p would be an interesting thing to do

May 23, 2009
Since we had better than badwater, maybe prettier than pipeline?

Poor Dario won't be feeling too good if we did! :lol:

Personally I hope its around multistage CP maps like dustbowl, since there are next to none of those, and the ones that do exist are pretty bad (castle, egypt, bloodstained etc)