embankment

Aug 10, 2009
I bring you embankment!
Originally called arena_damn, this map features a heavy emphasis on pipes for aesthetics and mobility. The map has a nice line of symmetry going straight down the middle, ending in the very open and exposed CP, while one health pack is neatly tucked under a T junction of pipes. The other is located in the large building at the bottom of the map. Vertical space is abundant, and complements the flow of the map, unlike some maps like Sawmill. >.>

I know that traditionally arena maps are not loved by everyone, but I for one love it and have a goal that this map could get on rotation with FuG's arena server.

Currently I'm working to improve the strength of the slower classes by tightening up the playing area, and at the same time I'm trying to take away some of the snipers thunder. I'm also trying to split up the gameplay, as of now it just ends in a massive mosh pit fight in the middle for the CP, so a real capture is rare :O, so that the round can be extended and not always the same.

Please download it and tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009
Lol I know that, I'm just trying to find ways to add cover that fit with the map, and don't ruing the ever-precious flow that an arena (or any slayer/deathmatch) map must have.

EDIT: Here's a map overview (picture)

3957193822_14c22c5fcb_o.jpg

Last edited:

SPHinx

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
Gave the map a look. And it looks like a lot of fun. I like the pipe theme with all the ramps and dips in the interiors. My main concern is the CP pushed all the way to 1 side. It is vulnerable to snipers, but excepting that, if a heavy-medic pair gets control, there is really only 1 way to look to have to defend it. Have you considered using that T-junction platform (it's in the middle of the image you posted) as the CP?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Type cl_drawhud 0 in the console when taking SS's (erases the class icon, HP, ammo, etc.).

Looks nice, but as SPHinx said, the CP is kind of far away; the teams are bound to kill each other before even reaching the point.

Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the console command. And thanks for the reason that I should move the cp, I understand that now. I put the cp there to try and draw the map out. I almost feel that if I put the cp closer to the spawns, people won't go around where the cp used to be. I might move the health then, but I really like where it is too.

That, or I might give the cp more cover.

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
I wish you much luck in texturing those cylinders o_o

The pipes look pretty damn awesome and I like the layout - but get some cover props up in thar. I recommend the slanted metal plates from the radar dish in Hydro or some such (ought to keep it on theme but provide areas to hide behind/cut lines of sight).

Aug 10, 2009
Ok I took your suggestions, here's the new CP for a2:

3957628574_92bd3eeb76_o.jpg

CP is in the middle/lower right, health is in the upper/middle left

I wish you much luck in texturing those cylinders o_o

The pipes look pretty damn awesome and I like the layout - but get some cover props up in thar. I recommend the slanted metal plates from the radar dish in Hydro or some such (ought to keep it on theme but provide areas to hide behind/cut lines of sight).

Haha yeah, texturing will definitely be a bitch. I have an idea to give the pipes a clear texture with some shine, and an animated water texture for a smaller arch(cylinder) inside, so it moves in a direction.

I have textured the inside of hollowed out arch-cylinders before though, as long as a textured line can be drawn straight around it i shouldn't have a problem.

I think I'm going to add those hydro cover pieces around the map, too. I tried covering the a1 cp with them, but the platform is too thin. So, they'll have to move elsewhere.

Last edited:

h3r1n6

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 7, 2009
I think the map is a bit too big for the spawn-spawn distance. Snipers on the big pipes on the outside (the ones in team colors) are really strong, so maybe consider making them inaccessible.

Are the pipes on the tops intended to be accessed? High ground like that gives soldier/demoman an advantage that there is no way of countering. That doesn't really belong in an arena map.

Aug 10, 2009
I watched the demo and soldier get on the high pipes, that will be player clipped in a3, as for the pipes, those are supposed to be a part of the gameplay and I didn't notice too much sniper domination on them. I'll try moving the spawns though.

h3r1n6

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 7, 2009
Because the snipers didn't (ab)use them enough. A sniper up there controls the health pack, the control point and a large portion of the map. This is just my opinion though, do with it what you want :).

Aug 10, 2009
**Update**

Sorry, this map isn't dead yet :D

Currently I've been trying to tackle some aesthetic barriers for later versions, and have cycled through various themes, experimenting with what I like best.

On a gameplay note, I'm currently trying to break up the open space, and am trying to keep the sniper from dominating the map.

Aug 10, 2009
OK, A3b is out!

Changes
-More cover
-Major sightlines blocked
-Middle building closed off
-2 pipes next to cap shifted over
-Overhead pipes by spawn added
-Wood ramp to large pipes by spawn added

Download and pictures will be up shortly, I'll also try and get this into gameday

Pictures are up!

4077111156_d482faa34e_o.jpg

4076355709_43ccf9ec4b_o.jpg

4077111132_25701aab14_o.jpg

4077110976_e26e253916_o.jpg

Last edited:

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
I don't really have a gameplay suggestion but a aesthetic one. With all these pipes and such you could give it a desert theme with sand and such and call it something like Arena_Oil or if you make the pipes look rusty and old it could be called Arena_Rust. On another unrelated issue it looks just a bit to big and empty. Desert related things like trucks, crates, and such may fill it up a bit. One thing I have realized though with arena maps are the ones that have some way to kill yourself in them are much more popular then others so maybe make something like a pit of death or moving gears.

Last edited: