Zero G

KotH Zero G a16c

Aug 10, 2009
Greetings from koth_zero_g!

Note: This map is getting resuscitated! You may notice some of these posts dating back to 2011, this is because I pretty much left off development for Zero G when I started college. Now that I'm about to wrap things up and graduate, it's time to revisit this! I'm super excited to get back into it, bear with me as I dust off this 4 year old ancient!

Original post below
==================
Zero_g is just a little sidemap I have been working on while thunderclap hasn't been in testing, it's simply a koth map set in space. In future versions I'd like to work out a low gravity setting for the outdoors, but right now the trigger_push I was using to accomplish this made the map rather buggy. If I get a working low gravity environment in later versions it will be added to the map rest assured.

There are a few things about the map that I don't expect to last very long. These are
- The open spaces between the spawn and the hill
- Possibly the location of the hill relative to the spawns [CHANGED]
- Cap times, spawn times etc
- The skybox. I'm going to start work on a custom space-themed one very soon. EDIT: tried and failed that, may try again sometime :)

If you have any comments about the map please don't hesitate to post them here. I don't care how major the changes you suggest or problems you point out, if they are not fixed they will remain in the map. I only say this because I've had a few cases where I change something I should have changed before, and then people tell me "yeah I didn't like that point anyways". So please, if you have anything to say about it, I don't care how rude or mean it is, let it be said.

Also, don't hesitate to critique my [dev] detailing. This is probably what the brushwork will look like in beta, so don't hesitate to stop me from making anything bad now :)

Finally, thank you to
- Boojum, for helping me resolve areaportal problems, and for the resource pack.
- WastedMeerkat for pointing out the existance of func_gravity from which I found trigger_gravity.
- Void for his cleaning nozzles models
- Anyone who tests this!

Last edited:

Fredrik

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 15, 2009
It looks good.
Good that you're going to fix those open spaces.
I'm quite worried about the gravity though, don't make it to low.
And ofc, space theme's awesome.
Realy looking forward to test this map!

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
By the Gods, you actually created a map called ZeroG and didn't know of the trigger_gravity?

Son, I've never been more dissapoint than I am now.

Aug 10, 2009
Wellllll I was planning to use a trigger_push buuuut :(

(I am ashamed D:)

EDIT: Don't worry, I'm only planning to have the gravity at about .75-.65 of what it is usually. The goal is just a tiny bit longer of a jump so the player can feel it just a tiny bit, but not for it to affect gameplay.

Last edited:

FiLi

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2009
Wellllll I was planning to use a trigger_push buuuut :(

(I am ashamed D:)

EDIT: Don't worry, I'm only planning to have the gravity at about .75-.65 of what it is usually. The goal is just a tiny bit longer of a jump so the player can feel it just a tiny bit, but not for it to affect gameplay.

I've only heard of one other map with low grav. Moonbase. I hated it. Make this better. Maybe, based on the scale of the gravity, make the map some size bigger to make up for the height difference in the jump.

Zarokima

L69: Deviant Member
Aug 7, 2010
I've only heard of one other map with low grav. Moonbase. I hated it. Make this better. Maybe, based on the scale of the gravity, make the map some size bigger to make up for the height difference in the jump.

That's the CTF map with the low-grav area in the middle, right? The problem with that was that it's just a bunch of walkways with low gravity. The low gravity is the only interesting thing about that area (and really, the whole map).

As long as the low gravity isn't used as a gimmick, but rather enhances play in some way, it could be pretty cool. Can't really say without running through it, though.

Aug 10, 2009
Well unfortunately it probably will be more gimmicky then it would a game mechanic. The most I can think to use it for is maybe to allow for some jumps that wouldn't be possible, but I wouldn't want to use anything significant because it makes short range and projectile classes much more difficult to use.

Sep 1, 2009
I think that if someone dies in low gravity area they stay in a low gravity whn the respawn. You would have to have the whole rest of the map in the defult gravity setting of 1 and have the points which they have to go though so they can be reduced to normal,

Aug 10, 2009
Updated to koth_zero_g_a1b!

Changelog
+Added trigger_gravity (with the gravity setting at .68)
+Removed a major sightline

DOWNLOAD LINK HERE

I think that if someone dies in low gravity area they stay in a low gravity whn the respawn. You would have to have the whole rest of the map in the defult gravity setting of 1 and have the points which they have to go though so they can be reduced to normal.

Hrm. That makes a lot of sense because whenever you die you respawn with .68 gravity. Thankfully the majority of the map isn't inside, and it's not that significant of an impact. Will change though, thank you for that :)

Last edited:

Zarokima

L69: Deviant Member
Aug 7, 2010
I like it overall, but here's a few issues:

The light-post things neat the control point are playclipped all the way up. I feel like you should be able to jump over them.

The roof of the middle building looks like it should be accessible. I'd say either un-clip it, or give it some kind of big slanty roof to make it not look like you can get on it (I realize the textures are different, but the geometry makes it enticing).

When I get on the elevator thing, I get this in the console about ten times: "DataTable warning: player: Out-of-range value (2400.000000) in SendPropFloat 'm_vecBaseVelocity', clamping." I don't know if this is a problem or if it can be safely ignored, but it didn't cause any noticeable issues.
As a side-note, I like the way this elevator is done. It feels more like it belongs, and less gimmicky than most of the ones currently in Thunderclap.

Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah, the light posts are sort of temporary. I just put them in just cause. I clipped the tops because I didn't want to be haggled about unclipped things. I also clipped that middle roof because I felt that it could be a little dangerous with players remaining around there.

It's also pretty funny that you mentioned that about the lift/elevator. In my first that I tried I wanted to replicate the lifts from UT3, where a player is more bounced to their landing then they are carried, but alas the trigger_pushes would not comply. So, I moved on to a more halo-style lift in which the player is more gently carried, but this too is a bit sloppy.

I actually considered that elevator the most gimmicky I've ever made but apparently not :p

Also, I'll be releasing an a1c with trigger_gravities indoors as well (after you die you inherit the trigger_gravities setting of .68), and I might make some changes on that roof so that I can unclip it.

Aug 10, 2009
koth_zero_g_a1b updated to koth_zero_g_a1c

Changelog
+Added trigger_gravities with the gravity setting at 1 indoors to counter the trigger_gravity outdoors
+Removed clipping from the roof of the building in the middle of the map
+Remade areaportals and deleted the previous AP's corresponding triggers.
+Minor fixes to brushwork overlooks

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
The skybox looks a little plain, I'll need to see it in game, but remember that space has colors too!

I really liked the map, played mostly as scout and soldier, the lower gravity makes it very fun to get around.

Aug 10, 2009
Yeah the skybox is now ditched as it was pretty untf2-y sooo I think I'm going to just make a basic one with stars like pipeline. The problem is space is pretty black, and I'm worried that if I put too much color in it, then the map will feel way out in space, when I'd like the players to feel a little less distant.

Aug 10, 2009
I would, but I'm not that good of an artist. Speaking of which, I'm going to post this in the requests section, but I'd love someone if they made me a nice space skybox. I only ask that they use their imagination.

On to other news, a2 is released! :woot: Hey hey hey! screenies!

You don't think a station in space is safe from random dev meteors, do you?
koth_zero_g_a20000.jpg

New ramps and a doorway leading to the bridge by mid. I'm a little skeptical about both of these changes, because it lets classes like the sniper get up there, so I think I might take them out by a3, but,
koth_zero_g_a20001.jpg

New tunnels to block sentries. Also, Dark, how the hell did you get up there! I tried for about 5 minutes, then just noclipped :p
koth_zero_g_a20002.jpg